Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just picked up Star Ocean: The Second Story

1. Is there really a way to measure which is better when comparing different (sub)genres?
    Yes. FFT: all-time classic. SO2: not.

2. I'd take an SLG over an RPG any time. But I had more fun with Star Ocean 2 than FFT. to review: Strategy RPG= one of my favorite genres. Still got more out of Star Ocean 2. Don't bother yourself with all these people telling you how bad your decision was.

ok. Use up all the private actions you can. You may miss out on some extra characters if you don't. some are hard to find, but I can't help you on how to get them beyond pointing you to a FAQ. the PA's make the game, I think.

Also, getting people "together" for the ending is pretty complicated. I remember

having them fight together.
    having them read each other's books.
    and. . . thats all I got.

3. Originally posted by Tsubaki

For once I'll agree with dog.

For those who are still stuck on the "FF is cool!" phase, go play some other RPGs and develop some standards.

Oh and... I wouldn't really listen to the crowd that's shouting FFT! FFT! necessarily. One's a traditional console RPG (with ARPG battles) and the other's a SRPG. Is there really a way to measure which is better when comparing different (sub)genres? Not really.

As for me, I'll take a decent traditional console RPG over a good SRPG anyday. But that's just a preference. As are those who like FFT.
    arent you the sakura taisen lover?

4. Originally posted by xS

arent you the sakura taisen lover?
    Me? Until ST4 I was :P

But while I will defend the ST series' strategy battles (they've added some nifty innovations to the genre, particularly ST3), the playability of the Sakura Taisen series comes from a combination of its battles, its adventure sections, and the minigames. You'll spend a little less than half the game actually fighting, vs a full fledged SRPG where 90-95% of it is just that.

And for the record, my favorite game of all time is Grandia, a traditional RPG, so my preference still stands.

5. Um...quit fighting over which is better (SO or FFT) and tell this man what he wants to know.

Anyway...

Be prepared to be owned in a lot of fights. Especially if you decided to go on the 'hidden' quest near the end of the game. Make sure to put your skill points into stuff that will beef up your main stats, then work from there. Try to get one person good at cooking, another at smithing, and so on. You can build from there, and as you go through the game, you'll gain a better idea of what you want from a character or a party formation.

Oh, and don't forget - you will get owned in at least one fight during the game. I'm gonna bet it'll be more though - this game is nails-tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

Golgo13 Guest
    FFT.....one of the few greatest hits worthy of the moniker. How can anyone not own this game already?

7. star ocean was a cool game....a bit too short though. if you like star ocean go buy tales of destiny 2

8. I've heard alot about this game and I'd probably pick it up if I saw it anywhere, but I haven't. I did see FFT though for $16, so I bought that, and from the responses on this thread it seems that I made a good decision. Now I just have to find the time to play it.
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

9. Why are you asking us? You own the game, start playing.

I like Star Ocean a lot, had a really good time with it. I found the story kind of forgettable but the battle system and item creation systems a total blast to play with. The "private action" system for character development was a great touch, I played through several of them 2-3 times just to see what would happen with different choices. All told, a great use of $20.

On getting this over FFTactics- good plan. Star Ocean is, even with its recent re-release, a hard find. FFTactics is everywhere thanks to the green stripe version, and you can always get it later.

James

10. SO2 is good clean fun. Some really great music, some surprisingly beautiful backgrounds in some areas, a cliched story, and the best voice acting in combat EVAR (and by best, I mean of course, horrifically bad, that being why it is so great).

Oh, and the battle system is quite fun, but I liked Tales of Destiny's combat also, so take that with a grain of salt.
    Have a Pile of Shame? Destroy it! Join the Warpact