Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Genres You Don't Play or Rarely Play

Game Genres You Don't Play or Rarely Play

I'm sure most people here have some game genres they don't play or very rarely play.

What are yours? And have you tried giving the genres a chance? Has a game ever converted you onto a genre?

As someone who wants to learn as much as I can about gaming, it bothers me that there are some genres I don't like playing.

I play most genres of games but a few I don't play or rarely play are:

Flight Sims - I'll play an arcade-ish one like Ace Combat but the pure sims like Flight Simulator I have no interest in.

Strategy - Whether it's turn-based or real-time, the genre just isn't for me. I can see why others like it though. Games like Warcraft and Civilization look very high-quality. But Advance Wars is intriguing me and I plan on checking it out. Nintendo has a way of making me like other genres since I was surprised that I loved Pikmin.

Strategy-RPGs - I tried to get into FF Tactics and Shining Force but I couldn't. It looks great but micro-management doesn't appeal to me. I did enjoy Vandal Hearts though; I guess it's a simpler game.

Dance/Rhythm - You won't find me on a dance floor(unless it's a mosh pit) so there's no way I'm going to dance for a timing game. I will play a game like Parappa or Umjammer on occasion.

PC RPGs - This is one I have always avoided but it's now starting to interest me. I have always played partial RPGs like Diablo and FPS/RPGs on PC but now I plan on playing into Ultima VII and checking out the Elder Scrolls games. I don't know if I'll like them though.

2. Spoorts- Never. Well, unless they're on the NES or NGPC...

RPG- Lack of interest lately.

Sim (of any kind)- Nah...

Strategy- Never, pretty much.

3. Flight Sims - I'll play an arcade-ish one like Ace Combat but the pure sims like Flight Simulator I have no interest in.
    Same here, I much prefer blowing stuff up compared to worrying about all the little details. Just get me up there killing.

MMORPGs, mostly because most aren't very good. I like the idea, and there are a few I've played heavily (PSO) and want to play desperately (Star Wars Galaxies), but this is still a pretty new genre for me.

4. Sports-Zero interest whatsoever. I can probably count all the non-extreme sports games I've liked on one hand.
    Racing-Every once in a while, I'll get an urge to play one but other than that, I hardly ever play them. I really, really hate simulation style racers also...I'd say the most sim racer I've ever liked is Tokyo Xtreme Racer...
    Flight Sims-No interest. Too slow paced. Like racing and sports, you have to actually be into it to enjoy simulation style flight sims. I'm not even too fond on arcade style ones either....
    They call me Heatmiser
    and whatever I touch
    starts to melt in my clutch
    I'm too much!

5. Sports - I hate this genre and see no point to buying them since the same game with minor (or not so minor, depending on who makes it) upgrades year after year after year after year.

RPG's - with the exception of Ys, I can't play them, they don't hold my intrest.

Flight Sims - I just don't care for them.

FPS - Quake 1/2 is the only real FPS I enjoyed and played for more than a few hours.
    http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/NGE42/fullnxe/card.png

6. Sports - My reasoning is that if I like the sport, I'll just go outside. And I don't even like sports to begin with. The way so many people I run into ramble on and on about sports and sports games is incredibly sickening too. Some of them forget that other kinds of games exist.
    Strategy - Whether its Real time strategy, or a Koei sim, they bore the living shit out of me. I've honestly given them a chance, but its just not for me. The only one I've liked is Gemfire and Dragon Force, if you can even include it in this category.
    Any kind of simulator - flight, life, even racing sims; I can't stand them.
    Dance/Rhythm - Fuck me if I'm gonna make a fool out of myself. If I don't like dancing in real life, why the hell am I going to do it for a game.
    Those are the only ones I can think of.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

lithium Guest
    rpgs -- I can't get into them, and I've tried very hard. I've put many hours into FFVII, Lunar, Albert Odyssey, Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario and Panzer Dragoon Saga. The genre just doesn't suit me. I think my attempts span the genre pretty well too.

strategy -- I generally never got into these but Advanced Wars changed my mind on that real quick. I haven't since tried another one, but I'm definitely willing to give one a go.

"standard" sports games -- don't like sports, don't like sports games. Pretty simple. Same with wrestling games. I have no problem with "extreme" sports games.

3D fighters -- Like rpgs, I've given this genre many attempts, to no avail.

And you can't say you don't like dance games till you try one! PIU and DDR are fantastic.

8. RPG - Complete bores more often than not. I had my fill between 98-99. Only purchased 2 this year (PS4, Skies of Arcadia).

RTS - I just can't get into them, not even Herzog Zwei.

FPS - Haven't liked a single one I've played since Wolfenstein 3D (it was something new at the time).

Flight sims - Of course not, although I did log quite a few hours into one PC flight sim way back. I'd play anything then.

Fighting games - Liked them back around SF2, but I absolutely get no enjoyment out of them anymore. I've since sold every fighter I own, but one.

Dance/rhythm - The only appeal they have for me is whackiness (Lammy, Parappa), and that is short-lived entertainment.

Jay Guest
    Sports- no interest
    Shooters- usually too much action for my eye to follow
    Dance/rhythm- poor hand-eye coordination makes these things nearly impossible to enjoy
    FPS- Same deal with shooters

10. Has a game ever converted you onto a genre?
    I used to not like vertical-scrolling shooters before I played Strikers 1945 Plus in the arcade. Now it's a lot of what I play.