Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Voices of a Distant Star.

1. I just got done watching the film and must say it's strongest suit lies in it's wonderful use of ambient movement.

The first few scenes were remarkable, but for some reason I couldn't quite catch why, until it hit me. The main characters did very little moving. All of the important movement was done by the rain, trollies, cell phone text, wavering grass, clouds, etc. It was extremely nicely done and added so much drama to the scene at hand, you could swear that the swinging gates were actually important and to be paid attention to as if they were protagonists themselves. The entire environment resonated with the overpowering emotion of the situation. Truely magnificent.

The story struck a chord with me, as there was a long stretch of time wherein my wife and I, prior to our marriage, were seperated by a vast chasym of distance. It didn't take 8.7 years for her e-mails and phone calls to reach me, but they may as well have.

My stomach gave such a lurch at the end of the film at the words "I am here." Very powerful.

The hand drawn animation stuttered, but it looked like it was done on purpose. It seemed as though the artist used as few frames as possible between positions to give character to the piece.

The whole thing works very beautifully.

P.S. The dub wasn't so bad, but I've yet to watch it sub'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

The trailer was what peaked my initial interest, but I'm usually causious when it comes to picking up short one shot anime.
    Taking it one day at a time.

3. The reason that things did very little movmement was not artistic, but rather a practical one, but I do think he handled the limitation very well.

I thought it was a good flick, though I liked Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko more, and I think his upcoming Beyond the Clouds: The Place We Were Promised in Out Early Days looks absolutely stunning.

4. I guess I'll be the first to say I didn't like this short much at all. I hated the character designs, and while the concept (and the fact that this was a one man project) was what initially intrigued me, I felt that it's execution ended up being rather poor. I'll be giving my copy away to a friend who wants to see it... no regrets.
    ...because without the bitter, baby, the sweet ain't as sweet.