Thread: Aliens

Aliens

Like so many other great Konami arcade games, Aliens is a game that I wish would see a console release. Considering it was fairly successful(I'm assuming this since it was in practically every arcade back then and people were always playing it), I'm surprised it was never ported to the SNES.

Aliens was a great guns-blasting beat 'em up. Konami did an awesome job with the graphic detail on the aliens and how they nicely burst when you shot them.

The 3d bonus rounds were impressive as well.

http://www.klov.com/A/Aliens.html

Fans?

I loved that game. In fact, that was the first non-Neo game that I bought after I got my super gun.

3. That game rocked. The arcade beat em up genre was always a favorite of mine, and even though this one had no hand to hand/ melee I still kind of feel it fits that mold. I can't remember how many times I plowed through this one, but my skills would always crumble on that last boss fight and I'd end up plugging like $3.00 into the thing trying to scramle for the power loader. One thing that always bothered me was that the power up gun they had in there that shot in multiple directions was kinda out of place- all the rest of the weapons from the movie/game were more realistic.

Anyone remember the Aliens vs. Predator beat em up that Capcom had on the CPS2? I loved that one also- similar feel but with melee action and more characters. Never saw it around as much, but by the time it was released one on one fighters wre about the only thing left in the arcade that didn't rely on some kind of gimmick. Really should have been ported to the Saturn (and I don't want to hear about that steaming pile on the SNES).

Golgo13 Guest
    This game rocked. Talk about balls to the walls action, shit this game created that phrase (I lie, it was actually Contra). I'll definitely buy this one day. I'm not surprised it wasn't ported to the consoles, I mean where the fuck is my Xmen and Simpsons ports?

AvsP felt odd for me. The Predators seemed crappy and the chick Marine was the only one worth using to me. All I remember were the train sequences. Bleh, I'm now reminded of how shitty these Capcom final fight clones were. Play one and you've played them all. Thank God they'll all burn out soon.

Capcom's AvP is an excellent game, even better than Aliens.

Golgo13 Guest
    That's crazy talk. I'll admit there's more of a story in AvP and the choice of extra chracters is cool but it feels like I've played it a hundred times before. There's absolutely no difference in the play mechanics of this, Punisher, Knights of the Round, etc etc.

Aliens felt original because it WAS original. It's Jesus on silicon.

Aliens was certainly more original. I agree that all of Capcom's beat 'em ups have a similar flavour(they all taste like Final Fight) but I found AvP's quality above the majority of Capcom games.

8. Originally posted by NeoZeedeater I found AvP's quality above the majority of Capcom games.
    I agree, at least concerning their other games in the genre. It was the only one I can think of made for the newer hardware (the others mentioned were all CPS1), and really just felt more fleshed out and well concieved. I found the changes to the usual formula interesting, ie you had to avoid damage not only to stay alive but also to hang onto your melee weapon (you dropped it if you took too much consecutive damage, like the power up weapons from the other games except you actually needed your regular weapon to stand a chance) and everyone had a ranged "super" weapon that you had to use conservatively (it had a power/charge meter that depleted quickly).

Shit. I almost forgot- the D&D games used the same hardware.

That was the first arcade game I can ever remember beating.

I play it all the time these days... I love MAME.