Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wegas vs. HDTVs for gaming.

1. Originally posted by Cowdisease

JVC JX-S111 A/V selector. Available online. Allows for up to three component signals with no picture degradation (or so they say). Also has two S-Video inputs.

The new EGM (Halo 2 on cover) actually covers \"ultimate gaming televisions\", so read the article when you have the chance.
    Thnaks for the heads up. I've been looking for a dedicated compontent switch box for a few weeks now. Know of any sites that sell them?

Originally posted by EThugg
    I had a digital HDTV, being digital, I wouldn't know if projection HDTVs have a problem. I doubt it unless you play for like 6 hours strait.

And yea, I said had. I'm back to regular TV due to my financial situation... I wanna stab my eyes in horror.
    I feel your pain... believe me I do.

3. Originally posted by Melf

Thnaks for the heads up. I've been looking for a dedicated compontent switch box for a few weeks now. Know of any sites that sell them?
    here

4. Due note though, that light guns have problems due to the TV's refresh rate.

Do gun games work with projection tvs?
    pwned by Ivan

5. Well, I own 32" Wega, and it works great with my PS2, Xbox, Cube and DVD player. I have my all 3 system connected to it through component and JVC selector, and the picture quality is excellent. My dvd player is connected through S-video, and it also looks great. I would definately recomend both Wega tvs and Component selector.

We had a link to the place that had JVC Selector for great price in one of the threads a while ago, maybe it still there, if you search, otherwise someone will probably post the link again.

As for HDTV, I would say, wait a little, until they will agree one 1 standard, otherwise you might endup with tv that doesnt support certain signal in the future. Plus they will become cheaper as time passes.

6. Green: I only heard of light gun problems w/ Wegas.

Despair/Melf: see above for link

7. That JVC switch box looks great but it's a no-go. They ship UPS and it'll cost $22 to get it sent here.

Thanks anyway!

8. I own a 32" Sony Wega XBR and also the JVC component switcher. Both are highly recommended. Once you've seen your X-Box and Gamecube games in progressive scan, there's no going back. I don't see the picture quality getting much better. The XBRs also give you 2 component inputs, as opposed to 1 on the standard Wegas. Depending on your price range, there's also a 34" widescreen Wega XBR with a built in HDTV tuner for $3999 or you can opt for the one without the tuner for $2500.

9. I think you can get HDtv channels right now, but only in certain areas.
    pwned by Ivan

10. I've been an HDTV owner now for about 2 years. If I had known then what I know now, I would've gone with either a standard 4:3, or a 4:3 'HDTV'. Games, TV and anime DVDs make up about 95% of my viewing, while 5% is 16:9 or greater content. The games and regular TV are passable, but that's only after it's been ISF'd. Anime DVDs look great, but I wouldn't be surprised if I start to notice a bid of a brightness issue towards the sides (due to using black bars on my DVD player for the 4:3 content).

My suggestion would be to go with a good 32" standard TV for now and hold off on a 16:9 HDTV, be it direct view or projection, until the new generation of consoles come out. That should be about 2005-2006, they'll all be set for 16:9, and all channels should be switched over, or just about switched over to at least 480p 16:9. That's if you believe the FCC, anyway.

Good luck.