Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wegas vs. HDTVs for gaming.

1. Originally posted by Kosh_H
    Well, of course I'll use component cables for all my GC games, I'm talking about the fact that the DC doesn't have component. Is there an RGB hack I can get that will work on either TVs?
    S-video. Friends don't let friends hook up through composite.

Originally posted by Melf

Thnaks for the heads up. I\'ve been looking for a dedicated compontent switch box for a few weeks now. Know of any sites that sell them?
    Get two A/V boxes. Unless you like burning money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

2. It really depends what you're playing. PS2's aliasing is downright nightmarish in HDTV - on a normal tv it's nothing, but put it in hi res...let's just say 2-player Turismo 3 starts looking like a PSone game, even in 16:9. It's that bad.

Xbox, on the other hand, supports it quite nicely, and looks excellent. So, PS2 = Wega, Xbox = HDTV.
    -Kyo

3. I haven't read the whole thread, but here's my take:

NES through Playstation/N64 era games will look best on a Vega or some kind of RGB tube monitor. Basically whatever you can get the cleanest signal into that has a 3:4 screen and no line doubler.

DC through current era games look best in either VGA or HDTV.

4. My suggestion would be to go with a good 32" standard TV for now
    So in other words, get a nice 32 inch Wega and just wait until the next gen? And should I get an HDTV tuner with it too or would that still be jumping the gun in your opinion, Schlep?

Thanks for all the advice so far, guys!

5. Originally posted by Kosh_H

So in other words, get a nice 32 inch Wega and just wait until the next gen? And should I get an HDTV tuner with it too or would that still be jumping the gun in your opinion, Schlep?

Thanks for all the advice so far, guys!
    I'd suggest the same and wait to buy an HDTV tuner. It's a lot of money to not be used very often. Sets in 2k5-2k6 will have better, more standardized tuners built in for much cheaper. Tuners are only necessary to receive HDTV broadcasts which aren't too common yet. Only a handful of stations offer this and you have to have digital cable to receive it (I think).

You could get a 32" bubble tube HDTV (Hitachi) for $1000 or an NTSC WEGA for about the same, if a little less. Check circuitcity.com

7. Kosh: yeah, I'd go with a 32" Panasonic or Sony standard TV (4:3, and not HDTV) for the time being. Maybe something along the lines of this TV would help you get a larger set and save some money until a few years from now. Once the 2005-2006 deadline rolls around, 16:9 HDTV's will more than likely be just about the same price as the standard TV's are today. That way you can have a good place to play your games and watch TV for not alot of $$ now, and then when the time rolls around you'll be able to get a larger set.

Right now, the cheapeast I've seen a 34" 16:9 tube is $1800+shipping. That's a pretty huge dent for a TV that's the equivalent of today's 32" TV, and no tuner on top of that. You'd be watching the majority of your TV and games at 27.5" for the next few years. Not my idea of an upgrade.

8. I have the JVC JX-S111 Component selector as well and can vouch that it provides nice 3-way component switching with no visible signal degradation. GameCube and PS2 do look noticealby better in component (especially PS2) even though my TV is not progressive. Etronics has a slightly lower price on the JVC switcher, but even though it says "in stock" it probably isn't--I called them about that item about a month ago and they didn't actually have it in stock.

Instead I got it from B&H photo, a very reliable site. Their price is $79.95, five dollars more than etronics. But they truly do have it in stock and I bet etronics doesn't. Go here and search for "JVC JX S111"

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

I also think that a Panasonic or Wega 3:4 tube is the best to go for right now. I've heard that progressive or digital TV's often show "artifacts" when displaying non-progressive analog signals that older systems put out--Saturn, PSX, SNES, N64, etc. Has anyone with a digital TV noticed this?

9. Thanks for the advice, Mr. Furious.

Thanks, Schlep. I think I will get that 32 inch Panasonic TV you linked from Best Buy. $529.99 is a pretty good price. And just to make sure, GC games will play in progressive scan on it, right?

10. No, they won't. It's not progressive scan.