Page 1 of 13 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: I've been excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church

1. I've been excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church

I go to a Catholic high school. Yippie, no biggie.

Anyway, there was a mass service today at it, and I had to go by school rules.

Oh, I'm not Catholic, I'm atheist.

Well, when it was time for the, uh, "holy communion" (little circle bready thing that is supposed to be the body of christ) I decided to go up and take it instead of sitting in my seat and waiting like all the other non catholics do.

I went up, and reached out for it instead of cupping my hands like all those good little catholic children did. The lady giving them out asked, "ARE YOU ROMAN CATHOLIC." I replied, "uh, YES." I took it, turned around, and shoved it in my shirt pocket. Oh yeah, I made a comment to someone about how I was going to save it for later and maybe put some salt and pepper on it to flavor it up, big deal.

Later on in the day, I get called down to talk to this priest, cause of what happened and all. Apparently what I did was sacrelige, and when I told him that I threw the, uh, token thingy away he told me that the penalty for such was excommunication from the Roman Catholic church..he then ran and dug through the trash can so he could find the damn thing.

It's all really baffling that someone would go through this trouble, and be so fucking attached to it.
    It's a mirror image!

I obviously don't think you realize the significance of the bread and wine..That definatly deserves harsh punishment from the Catholic Church. And why are you in Catholic school if your an athiest?

Well, what you did was very disrespectful to the Catholic church. Just because something you don't believe in is taking place doesn't mean you have to try to act like Mr. Nonchalant Funnyguy when other people are taking the service seriously.

4. Originally posted by Rich
    I obviously don't think you realize the significance of the bread and wine..That definatly deserves harsh punishment from the Catholic Church. And why are you in Catholic school if your an athiest?
    Why the fuck not?
    The only private schools around here are catholic ones. Also, nobody ever said you have to be catholic or even religious to be in a catholic school, tons of non cathlolic/atheist kids go.

I know the basics on the communion thing, but if they were so worried about something like this happening why didn't they try to educate some of the students on propor ettiquite.
    It's a mirror image!

5. Ah, get off it, you're saying you didn't think anyone would be offended if you lied about your beliefs and basically made fun of something that the people around you consider sacred?

It's hardly an issue of religion, man, it's about common respect- stuff you ought to know. I'm atheist too, but I'm not so much of a jackass that I'd spit on someone else's religion like you did. Grow up.

6. hehe... Luke, you rock!

It's a fucking Catholic School for God's sake. It's for "education AND religion" And actually, most catholic schools DO require a certificate of confirmation. And do your parents just fucking suck so much that you were raised to not respect other religions and people's beliefs. Your not fucking EThugg, have more respect then that. And go to a damn public school if there are no private schools, go to a public school in a honors program.
    I hope you get excommunicated, and thrown out of school.

-Coming from a Catholic

8. I have a whole box of those nasty ass crackers. Don't ask how i got it.
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"

9. *Proud he was the only non-baptized kid in his freshmen class*

For a semester I went to a Catholic Highschool, but then we moved. The public schools in my area where less then steller. And the only private schools in my area where Catholic so why not? It did cost a little more for me then everybody else, but still, it is worth it for a good education. I am technically christian though cause my dad is, although he isnt practicing.

I still had to go to church with them though, but I went up and took the little wafer (not sure if I did it right, didnt care, just took it and ate it). I would not disrespect them though and be a total ass. How can you be excommunicated if you dont belong to the church though?
    your mom

10. Originally posted by Rich
    And do your parents just fucking suck so much that you were raised to not respect other religions and people's beliefs.
    -Coming from a Catholic
    it's has nothing to do with his parents. you could have the best parents in the world who can teach you all the moral ins and outs of society and still end up bein' a psycho ass hole. kid's aren't robots, they're gonna make choices for themselves.

anyway, i think what luke did was unnecessary but that's all on him. he got punished for it, so what else can you do? i used to go to a catholic school myself....the worst thing i ever did though was spit in the holy water, but i was like.....a kid, so i didn't really care at the time.