Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS: RGB cables (XRGB2 & others)

1. Originally posted by Rob
    Alright, I did some looking into the Commodore monitors, and I'll be getting a 1084S. The TV I have right now is a 13", so the size is no problem, I just wanted a better picture.

So I'll order a Genesis 2 and PlayStation cable modified for that monitor type please.
    The 1084s is a really good monitor - I think it's Commodore's best, personally It has stereo sound, and it's got the best picture adjustment settings - especially handy if you're playing arcade games (which all seem to have weird screen sizes).

Rob, send me an e-mail, and we can work out the details! My e-mail address is the_matthew@yahoo.ca

- Matt

2. Originally posted by Rob
    Alright, I did some looking into the Commodore monitors, and I'll be getting a 1084S. The TV I have right now is a 13", so the size is no problem, I just wanted a better picture.

So I'll order a Genesis 2 and PlayStation cable modified for that monitor type please.
    Fine choice.. for all the reasons Matt mentioned. Enjoy it, Rob.

They're sexy, too.

[Sorry, sorta flooded this thread!]

3. ...

Matt,
    I have a question--let's say I pick up a Commodore monitor and want to add multiple systems to it via your RGB cables--say the Saturn, DC, and Genesis 1--do you do some kind of adaptor that would allow all three to be hooked up at once? (I want to avoid having to connect a system everytime I want to play it).

Thanks
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

4. Re: ...

Originally posted by ssbomberman
    Matt,
    I have a question--let's say I pick up a Commodore monitor and want to add multiple systems to it via your RGB cables--say the Saturn, DC, and Genesis 1--do you do some kind of adaptor that would allow all three to be hooked up at once? (I want to avoid having to connect a system everytime I want to play it).
    Yes, that's possible. Actually, for my Commodore monitor cables, I usually make a setup where each console has a short adaptor cable ending in a 15-pin D connector, which hooks up to a master RGB cable running to the monitor. This way, all you have to do is unplug the master cable and move it from console to console - much easier than unplugging the cable from your monitor each time you want to switch.

One bonus is that since the cable uses the same connector as a Mac monitor or PC joystick, it's really easy to get extension cables and switchboxes. Or, the cable from the console could be made longer than usual, and plug directly into a 4-way switchbox, allowing you to run all 3 of your systems without unplugging anything.

Using a switchbox will lower the signal quality a little bit, but it's a huge convenience.

- Matt

P.S. - Thanks for the nice comments, Master & Click

5. Quick questions (because I'm too lazy to find the older RGB-related threads):

Where (besides eBay) would you reccomend I look for a Commodore monitor?

What's the quality difference between a plain ol' 1084 and the 1084s?

6. I got my 1084S-D1 from 4jays.com . They're a small store and you'll have to call for availability before you order, but very nice people to deal with and got my order very quickly. Although they may be a bit more expensive than ebay...

Also, I thought that the S stood for Stereo. I assume this means that the 1084 would have pretty much the same video quality, but mono audio. I could be wrong about that though.

7. Originally posted by OmegaFlareX
    Quick questions (because I'm too lazy to find the older RGB-related threads):

Where (besides eBay) would you reccomend I look for a Commodore monitor?
    If you're patient, you'll probably have the most luck searching yard sales and thrift shops. Since they're very useful monitors, former Amiga owners will often have kept their old screen around for use as a spare TV, so they do still show up on the thrift circuit. Expect to pay $10-20 if you're lucky enough to find one! You can try used electronics stores, but usually they'll be asking too much money.

2 weeks ago, a friend and I found 2 nice monitors at the local Goodwill - a Commodore 1084 and a Sony KX-1311C (only $5 each). The Commodore was dead, but the Sony's working great There are all sorts of oddball RGB monitors out there, so you never know what yo might find.

Ebay's pretty good - you won't find anything super-cheap, but you can also be sure that you'll actually get the screen, and usually you'll have assurances that it works. Just make sure that the seller knows what their doing - a friend of mine recently had a horrible experience with a seller who shipped the screen with no padding, and refused to take responsibility after it arrived DOA.

- Matt

For those who are wondering, a quick rundown of Commodore monitors:

The ones you\'ll want to look for are the models which support analog RGB. There\'s 5 which do: The 1080, 1084, 1084s, 1084s-D1, and 2002. Whatever you do, *do not* get the 1902, since it only supports digital RGB. Also, there\'s a Magnavox monitor of the same design (I forget the name) which is digital-only.

All these monitors have great picture quality - whichever one you get, your games will look fantastic! There are subtle differences in the inputs and picture controls, though.

The 1080, 1084, and 2002 are all basically identical. They have a 9-pin male connector for video input, and mono sound. Most of the picture controls are on the front, and easy to reach. However, some things are not adjustable without opening the case - horizontal width adjustment and a few others (can\'t remember exactly right now!) This usually isn\'t a big issue, though. One neat thing is that the screen height is automaticaly determined - PAL games usually run in full-screen with no tweaking of the controls.

The 1084s-D1 is (I think) pretty similar to the above-mentioned models, but with stereo sound and a female 9-pin for RGB input. Actually, although I\'ve made cables for several people with this screen, I\'ve never seen one myself, so I can\'t really comment further.

The 1084s is the one I think is the best overall. It uses a 6-pin DIN for RGB, and has pretty good stereo audio. The reason why I like it is that every aspect of the picture geometry is adjustable, which is great if you\'re running arcade games. Also, it\'s the most liberal with the types of sync signals it\'ll accept - the other models have problems with sync signals from certain consoles, and require an extra LM1881 circuit in the cable to recognize them. The only downside is that the picture controls are on the back and can be hard to reach.

And that\'s about it Whichever monitor you do end up getting, you\'ll probably be happy with it! They\'re all great screens, and the differences are pretty minor.

- Matt