Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grave of the Fireflies

1. Grave of the Fireflies

i stopped by best buy today to pick up a few dvds (mainly the bloodsport dvd) and to my surprise, they broke street date on grave of the fireflies. i haven't watched it yet, but it'll be one of the first things i do later before i go to bed. also got it at a good price, $20, but i'm thinking it might be cheaper next week if they put it into the weekly ad.

2. I know some tough type guys who have admitted to crying during GotF. I guess seeing bits of it on cable ruined the movie for me, the old crap dvd didn't help either. I might get the new dvd.
    pwned by Ivan

3. I've been wanting to see this for years now.
    The new DVD version is on order
    - Kabuki

I recieved the movie in the mail the other day and I watched it all the way through.

First, it did almost make me cry and it is now one of my favorite animes. Very touching and sad, and it's a great movie (not just a great anime).

I also noticed that the transfer for the special edition was spectacular. You'd never know that the movie was made in 1988. Very clean and very crisp.

For 20 bucks and a whole disc of features, this is an essential

There is a new version out? What is different?

6. I think it's just got some extras - the DVD I've got doesn't have much. I'll probably get it for the new transfer.

Grave of the Fireflies is an example of anime transcending its own boundaries, with the power to affect anyone, not just fans of anime. It avoids being sappy or manipulative (although its intent is to show the horror of war on a very personal level, and MAN does it succeed), but channels raw, pure emotion in an incredible fashion.

Not just an anime classic, but a film classic, as amerlop already stated. Anyone who's not touched by it....well, I couldn't imagine what state their heart must be in.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

7. I bought this too, along with Kingdom Hearts. I plan to watch it this weekend.

Originally posted by 88mph
    There is a new version out? What is different?
    I believe that the previous dvd version (which is notoriously shitty) had a poor transfer and was pan and scan only.

The new version is the only domestically released widescreen version, I believe and that alone should be enough to own it.

Pan and scan is shit.

10. A sad, sad movie. I think the real story is even more so.
    "Tick-tock"