View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fun Poll: Chun Li Sprites

1. Third Strike, of course.

2. Originally posted by Captain Vegetable

You have no idea what you're talking about!
    Uh, sure I do. That was the whole point of my post. How could I not know my own opinion? The TS animation is great, except for those weird quirks Capcom felt the need to put in.

I DO know what I'm talking about. I do conceptual character design for a tv studio, intern with animators, and more importantly, have eyes and a brain. That crouching animation is just stupid, especially in context of a 2D fighter. There's plenty of wushu stuff like that in SC2, T4, VF4, etc, where it is actually performed in accordance to the martial art. For TS Chun-Li, though, it's dumb because that pose takes time to get into, and is just frame-cancelled into anytime you need to duck. There's no strikes that can be performed from that position, so all of her crouching moves look jerky coming out of it. It's just a dumb idea someone at Capcom had that should have been given a second opinion...Chun-Li's not supposed to be the game's clown.

That, and that one kick (f+RH, IRC) where she sorta just flails about, not really resembling any sort of actual kick. I don't like that either. Otherwise, the character redesign and animation is amazing; but I stand by my opinion.

3. That crouching animation is just stupid, especially in context of a 2D fighter.
    In a 2D fighter Capoeria is silly. But SF isn't exactly after realism.
    For TS Chun-Li, though, it's dumb because that pose takes time to get into, and is just frame-cancelled into anytime you need to duck.
    You're trying to argue realistic speed and use of moves in an SF game? I know you did not just do that. As for the drop, I can't remember the animation on it, so this could go one of two ways: She simply plops herself straight down, or she's performing the version where one twists while moving down. Except the latter ends up with you facing the opposite direction, so she would technically have to start that while facing the other way.

And who uses Wushu (or techniques) in other fighting games? Just wondering, because I've never noticed it.

4. Well, I don't really care about the poll anyway. I guess I just don't like being told I'm outright wrong. Anyway, motion capture in SC for characters like Kilik, Xiangua, Ivy (when not hand-animated), and Hwang are done by wushu practioneers, whether or not that's the character's "official" style. Especially their forms in the DC version (sans Ivy) are practically straight wushu. Same with Xiayou in Tekken. I may be mistaken about VF though; I thought Pai had a wushu actor doing her kung-fu, but after going back and looking through her moves, there doesn't seem to be any direct influence.

5. Hm, I suppose once I think about it I see some in Kilik, and Ivy is definately at least based on Wushu's chain-whip (though I've seen only a couple demonstrations of such). I don't recongize it in Hwang or Xiangua (didn't that have an "h" in it? Been a while...), but I don't know the majority of Wushu very well, only bits and pieces.

6. 3rd Strike all the way

7. 3rd strike, Zero series and then Poket fighter in that order.