Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets Remember...Pole Position!

1. Lets Remember...Pole Position!

Pole Position was one of the first racing games that truly hooked me back in the day. i would monopolize the PP machine at my local arcade so much, that the operator would shoo me off the machine (asshole).

There were numerous home versions, including a really good translation of PP2 on the 7800. Once again, I played this one to death.

This is on one of the Namco Museums (vol. 1 I think), but sadly it slightly tarnished my fond memories. Some things are best left in the past.

Interestingly, there was a Saturday morning cartoon show of the same name- presumably to tie in with the game (I may be wrong). It featured two talking cars named Roadie and Wheels and the dorky family that drove them.

Who remembers the game and/or the TV cartoon?

2. The sitdown cab for Pole Position is still super cool looking to me.

I vaguely remember the cartoon... I always wanted a talking car with a face in the display. It was like KITT x 10.

I can't say I remember the cartoon but I used to play the game all the time, both the arcade and the excellent C64 version. It was the definitive racer of the early '80's.

I agree with the Namco Museum somewhat tarnishing memories. It's great for nostalgia and gaming history appreciation but the racing genre tends not to age well especially pre-Out Run games.

5. I remember them both and loved them when I was a kid. I remember wanting a game that was more like the cartoon version of Pole Position. Two players racing with cars that could turn into hovercrafts.

6. I remember the Q Bert cartoon. I was like 4 at the time and I still knew it sucked.

7. I love using the trackball on one of the Atari versions.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

Originally posted by Frogacuda
    I remember the Q Bert cartoon. I was like 4 at the time and I still knew it sucked.
    Yeah, wasn't there like a block of 4 or so cartoons? It seems like there was a show about Frogger. Can't remember the others though.

9. If I recall right, the original Pole Position on Namco Museum vol. 1 (PSone version) has a reduced frame rate for some reason. Pole Position II in NMv3 fixes that.

I'd rather play OutRun, Enduro Racer, or Super Hang-On. Pole Position was cool at the time but it hasn't aged so well.

10. I remember the game (of course), though mostly played on the ol 2600. (Anyone remember the movie D.A.R.Y.L and the scene where he plays Pole Position, making it go faster than God?)

I absolutely LOVED the TV show, mostly for that funky fresh theme tune.

"Pole Posit-i-ooon, something something..."

That shit is the mad notes!

Robot cars were nice too.