... But that reminded me of another question. I saved the following list of occupation ages from an old post:
· 16 for soldiers
· 18 for journalists, policeman, teachers, barmaids, showgirls
· 21 for bishops, doctors, bankers, professors, generals, priests, pitbosses.
What I wondered about was whether this list is complete, and if it is, why is there no age limit for engineers, like there is for all the other college jobs?...
There are a couple of additions. Rebels have to be 18. Mothers (linked with marriage) have to be either 16 or 18, not specifically reported.
We know from developer reports that some occupations have to be older than the 13/14 when Children change to Adults. This arose from reactions by the play-testing groups who were horrified to see 14 year old Soldiers (against UN Conventions), Mothers (age of consent in Chile is still 14), Barmaids, and Showgirls. At stake was the ESRB
rating. So, modifications to the first version of the game had to be made. Besides the minimum ages for units, there are minimum ages for "customers" at the Pub, Nightclub, Casino, and Cabaret. No one has reported those ages specifically.
The list you got from the old post is based upon a report from only one user as posted here. So far as I know, there has not been a complete verification of that report. Why Engineers were not included, and why Journalists are 18 instead of 21 - I can't say. For that matter, why Pitbosses & Priests are 21 instead of 18, and why Soldiers are 16 instead of 18 - are questions.
I raised the question about your comment because all the minimum ages previously reported are open to verification. I also need to note that from time to time, "newbies" post fantastic reports of "child brides" and other rather silly stuff that they can't prove
. There is no challenge to reasonable reports, but we always look for well established trends rather than shocking changes.
You have given me an idea for a project, to finally do a comprehensive test to verify the age restrictions. Unfortunately, to do it I need to use the editor, to create an island with special initial buildings, and a specially tailored population. The problem is I'm not sure I have the editor. How do you call it up. The manual says nothing about it. The Poptop site had a download site for a map editor and a paridise island editor, are these what I need. If so, the popup site download does not seem to work. Can you help me on getting the editor, and using it?
My plan to verify the age figures is to do the following:
1. Have an ititial placement with no dock (to prevent anybody from leaving), enough farms to feed everybody, plus good housing, plus enough buildings to provide a decent sample (3-4) of every job category that might be in dispute (caberet, barmaid, and all educated occupations).
2. Create an initial population with all college educated 13 yr olds, enough to fill every building, plus enough cash to never go bankrupt, and no random events.
3. Then start running the island. The buildings with no age limit should have workers immediately. The others should acquire workers in the year when the workers get old enough, establishing their minimum age.
I would appreciate any suggestions on whether my plan should work, and also help in getting the editor.