Go to Cafe Tropico Cafe Tropico
Go to the Blue Parrot Inn
Search:     Advanced search
08/01/14 at 06:51 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
207936 Posts in 10546 Topics by 2074 Members
Latest Member: cpmoneymakertutorials
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Cafe Tropico  |  General Discussion  |  The Archives (Moderator: CafeDave)  |  Topic: Terrorist Attack in US
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Terrorist Attack in US  (Read 10672 times)
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
Como? Eh? Aieee!
Global Moderator
Emperor

Puttin' the hammer down...

« Reply #25 on: 09/11/01 at 09:50 PM »

Masood survived, and to the best of my knowledge, there were no 747's involved. Definite that 3 were 767's and the other i don't know

American Airlines' two planes:

Flight 11, Boston to Los Angeles, B767, 81 pas, 9 FA, 2 crew, was the first to crash into World Trade Center (hitting tower 1).

Flight 77, Washington Dulles to Los Angeles, B757, 58 pas, 4 FA, 2 crew, crashed into Pentagon.

United Airlines' two planes:

Flight 93, Newark to San Francisco, B757, 38 pas, 5 FA, 2 crew, crashed in Pennsylvania, 80 miles north of Pittsburgh.

Flight 175, Boston to Los Angeles, B767, 56 pas, 7 FA, 2 crew, crashed into World Trade Center second (hitting tower 2).

Total souls aboard: 266 (233 passengers, 25 FA, 8 crew).

The B757-200, in service since 1982, can seat up to 230 people, the B757-300 up to 289 persons. B767 can seat up to 375 people in its largest version.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/767family/index.html

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/757family/index.html

Rich Nagel
Report to moderator   Logged

Wooly
General

Head of the secret police.

« Reply #26 on: 09/11/01 at 10:48 PM »

I feel nothing but deep sorrow.  I hope that everyone will pray for the victims of this tragedy.

--Wooly
« Last Edit: 12/31/69 at 07:00 PM by 1013846400 » Report to moderator   Logged
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
Como? Eh? Aieee!
Global Moderator
Emperor

Puttin' the hammer down...

« Reply #27 on: 09/12/01 at 12:01 AM »

I'm still watching news coverage (2:55AM EDT), and am still in shock -:(

Rich Nagel

Wooly
General

Head of the secret police.

« Reply #28 on: 09/12/01 at 01:21 AM »

I can't watch the news coverage anymore.  Heart wrenching.

--Wooly
darkangel09142
Rebel

« Reply #29 on: 09/12/01 at 02:54 AM »

This is just horrible.  Been watching the news since 5pm our time (about an hour after it happened).  Been at threatcon delta since then as well (totally locked down, got armed guards patrolling the housing areas and the local (German) cops are carrying the heavy firepower again (submachine guns seem to be standard issue here again).

Actually though over here we're more worried about you guys back home right now.

Darkangel09142 for President in 2010
Wählen Sie Darkangel09142 als Bundeskanzler in 2010
Voto Darkangel09142 para el Presidente en 2010
Voto DArkangel09142 per il presidente in 2010

Dubbed "Official Bartender of Tropico" by Revolucionario
Also dubbed "Official Chef of Tropico" by Revolucionario

You know you're obsessed with computer graphics when you're outside and you look up at the trees and think, "Wow! That's spectacular resolution!"
TargetBoy
Rebel

Forte Animus Stupidus     ***Not to be confused with Dravin, the evil twin.***

« Reply #30 on: 09/12/01 at 03:21 AM »

Hi guys.  I went to sleep around 11pm CST and woke up at 3:30am.  I can't sleep.  I keep thinking about all those masses of people and how the plane crash in PA alone would dominate the headlines, much less four simultaneous hijackings and the destruction of entire buildings.  Like some of you have been saying, it's just too much. I work in emergency services and I know what panic feels like, but this is just unfathomable.  I lay in bed all snug and warm listening to my dogs snore peacefully (I love doggies) and I just keep thinking about how this one moment of comfort is worth so much when compared to what others are experiencing at this very moment, much less twenty two hours ago.

America will go on.  We will survive this and we will one day reach a point where we can say this was an historical moment that spurred us on to something greater.  It's amazing how we squabble, fight, and do the stupidest stuff over the most insignificant things, yet we all come together as brothers in times of tragedy.  Did you guys see the members of Congress at the Capitol suddenly break into spontaneous "God Bless America"?  That was amazing!  Politically, this has been the most disgusting year in American history since Slick Willie was elected, yet many of us are willing to let the matter drop and work as a unit to defend our nation and help those in need.

To our British and French friends reading this, I have no doubt of the Prime Ministers' words on the matter and Americans do believe they do not stand alone in their pain or quest for justice.  It is good to know who your friends are and that they can be counted on.  Castro, however, is most likely full of bull but we will have to see.

Don't despair, guys.  We were coming out of the depths of economic depression when Pearl Harbor was hit and we used the incident to turn our nation into the mightiest war machine the planet had ever witnessed.  We will go on, and we will succeed.

Grand High Mayor of Mangos Grandes, home of the Chichizquatl pyramid.
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin'."
Like knights, castles, and senseless violence?  Click here!!! http://www.swordandpistol.com
Chris
Deity

Chris The Dictator, His Fabulous Nobility, Sir Chris. The Omnipotent Head Honcho of Pooosting.

« Reply #31 on: 09/12/01 at 09:03 AM »

I had woken up earlier than normal as I had a lot to get done, and I truned on CNN. I saw the World Trade Center building burning, and then 15 seconds later, I watched the other plane crash into the second building live.

Eddy, I too have heard the rumor that it was shot down. And I would give it some credit: There are no large pieces what so ever left. And you'll notice it crashed out in the middle of nowhere.

Today the reality of this horrific trategy is going to set in.

Brian is master. He was right. As was always.
---
*Director of Co-ordinated Searches for Sea Snakes*
*Commander in Chief of Internal Supply of Staples*
*Head Organizer of Mindless Ramblings*
*Director of All That is Irrelevant*
---
Creator of What!?!, The Never Ending Thread
I will generally be kind, but once in a while, in the still of the night, the wolves will be allowed to howl. -Eddy
Character is who you are online! - Skeebercat(2)
Pea Lovers Forever!
MadamPresident
Emperor

My rank may say dictator but I'm always an M'Prez!

« Reply #32 on: 09/12/01 at 09:13 AM »

Here's something I found on a news site:

Did Nostradamus predict this?

"In the year of the new century and nine months,
From the sky will come a great King of Terror...
The sky will burn at forty-five degrees.
Fire approaches the great new city..."

"There will be a great thunder,
Two brothers torn apart by Chaos,
while the fortress endures,
the great leader will succumb,
The third big war will begin when the big city is burning"
Nostradamus

Tropico's First Female Scripter
My name is MadamPresident and I am a Tropico scripter
Em to my friends Smiley

Have you visited Tropico Isle today?

Vote MadamP for President!
MadamPresident
Emperor

« Reply #33 on: 09/12/01 at 09:15 AM »

I visited the WTC on Sunday the ninth - two days before the crashes, I went up to the observation deck. I almost didn't want to visit, but I cancelled some other plans and went. Glad I did, in a way...

I think of all the people in there that I interacted with. The ticket sellers, the ushers, the guy who stamps that little smiley face when you pass through security, I remember the dangling earrings of the girl who directed us to the elevators. The elevator operators rattling off instructions not to push any buttons, timing thier speech to end when we reach the right floor. The food court, Manhattan magic...people taking pictures.  Sad Cry

It really hits home. I hope they made it out, but I will never know.  :-/

Buildings can be rebuilt, but people don't come back  Sad :-/ Not even on tropico...

Em to my friends Smiley

Bulletsponge
Deity

like my new smiley avatar?

« Reply #34 on: 09/12/01 at 10:13 AM »

when i first heard of the plane crashes, i coundnt beleive it, even when i saw it on tv. i went to work (i was workin outside) and didnt hear much news. then i heard that the pentagon was attacked and a 4th plane went down and it was headed in the direction of washington. when i got home and saw the buildings collapsed ontop of all those firemen, i had to fight back the tears in my eyes.

Assumption is the mother of all ****ups

Never bring a knife to a gunfight

Indulge the Piranas and Barracudas of your soul

Minister of excessive smileys SmileyTongue;D:-*CoolShocked

Eddy
Postmaster General
Supreme Deity

If not you, then who? If not now, then when?

« Reply #35 on: 09/12/01 at 10:55 AM »

Well, I heard about the attack a little later than most.  I was sleeping in and got out of bed at 9.30 for an appointment at a local temp agency.  I was driving in my car, and about 9.45 I turned on my radio and heard it.  I honestly thought it was a sick joke or a War of the Worlds thing or something.  I flipped though my other presets and heard three out of the six talking about it so I knew something was wrong.  

When I got there I went through the rigamarole of taking a typing test, filling out paperwork, etc and one of the women had a husband at home who called every five minutes to update them.  It was surreal listening to reports of buildings burning, planes crashing, people running and to be sitting there wearing a coat and tie job hunting.

I finished and decided to fillk out applications along one of the industrial parks in the area and the skies were gorgeous, but it was strange not seeing any contrails and realizing that air traffic through the whole country was shut down.  Not delayed for a storm, not on strike, but totally shut down for a country of 300 million people.  Freaky.

I went home at about 1:00 because the local businesses and government agencies were starting to close and it's not like I was really in the mood to jobhunt anyway.  I was glued to the tv for the next five hours or so madly flipping through channels to see what each station was saying.

El Presidente Para La Vida de la Isla Magnifica de Eddy

The only bad post is the one not posted. - El_malo
Mess with the best, get paddled like the rest. - Junta Joe
May the redness of your bottom be an example to all who dare to challenge Eddy... -  Mr. P
A day without paddling is like a day without the sun. - AriesQTPie
I will BE posting! - BatchMan

The Official Rebel Paddling Ceremony.  Now with paddles!

Eddy is the lifestyle revolution of the 21st century!
El_Subcomandante
Rebel

The Yanqui scouts said I couldn't hit lefties ....

« Reply #36 on: 09/12/01 at 04:19 PM »

Heard on the way home that a hijacking was possibly thwarted at JFK. On a plane scheduled for a 9 am takeoff for LA,  three men described as Middle Eastern in appearance argued over something with the flight crew and were told to get off the plane.  The men refused, police were called, but when they arrived the men had left.

Also it's coming out that the plane in PA crashed after the male passengers on board decided to attempt to overpower the hijackers - they were aware of the hijackers' plans after cell phone calls to people watching the news.  Supposedly the plane which hit the Pentagon was bound for the White House and missed because of similar passenger heroics - maybe hitting the Pentagon was a stroke of bad luck but who knows what hitting the White House would have done.

El Holy Tropican Emperor of Morticcia Fan Club Services, Chiapas Chapter

Technical Director of Tropican National Futbol Team

Curator of Phil Donahue Archives, Universidad de Tropico

Tropico Minister of Excuse-Making
El_Subcomandante
Rebel

« Reply #37 on: 09/12/01 at 04:28 PM »

If you have an American flag, put it up in front of your house.  If you have a pennant or a small one, put it on your car antenna.  I saw cars flying flags on the way home and it was very moving - the more pride we show, the bigger statement we make against our enemies.

bhar
Emperor

« Reply #38 on: 09/12/01 at 05:21 PM »

Probably not much would have happened had the plane hit the White House.  The President was in Florida.

Think of all the news that would have been created if any one of these planes had crashed because of a mechanical failure.  Think of all the news that would have been created if any one of these planes had been hijacked and crashed.  
Think of all the news that would have been created if all FOUR of these planes have been hijacked and crashed.
Think of all the news that has been created now that these four planes have destroyed the World Trade center, damaged the Pentagon, and killed thousands.  This makes the OKC bombing look like child's play.

Visit Red River Editorials (and the forum)!
http://redrivereditorials.tripod.com/
bhar
Emperor

« Reply #39 on: 09/12/01 at 05:25 PM »

What scares me most is not the Palestinian terrorist groups ramming planes into buildings, but the huge possibility of biological warfare.  They have at least a basic idea of the needed technology to do this (biological warfare has been used ever since Roman times when Carthiginian invaders threw snakes into Roman forts), and certainly would do it if they had the necessary resources.  This attack may be a blessing in disguise, as it wakes America up to the threat of terrorism before something worse happens.

Visit Red River Editorials (and the forum)!
http://redrivereditorials.tripod.com/
CafeDave
Administrator
Emperor

Cafe Tropico Founder

« Reply #40 on: 09/12/01 at 07:45 PM »

My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by these tragedies too.  I couldn't sleep last night with those horrible images going through my head.  I was in a meeting at work when someone went out and came back in and said the US is being attacked.  But I didn't realize how bad until after the meeting someone had BBC news up and a video of the second plane crashing into the building.  Horrible beyond words.  I agree we should all send a prayer to God to be with those who have suffered from this.  And take a minute of silence for those who have died in such a terrible way.

And keep on with the updates and your thoughts on this.  I learned quite a bit here I hadn't seen elsewhere.

Cafe Tropico: You can log out any time you like, but you can never leave. - Railnut/Robbo/The Eagles

Visit the Blue Parrot Inn and Tavern: http://strategyplanet.com/tropico/trop2/index.shtml

Visit The RIP Track: http://riptrack.iwarp.com
Chris
Deity

Chris The Dictator, His Fabulous Nobility, Sir Chris. The Omnipotent Head Honcho of Pooosting.

« Reply #41 on: 09/12/01 at 08:06 PM »

First of all, I don not believe it was Palestinian. Reason, they were very close to getting the U.N. on thier side and getting Israel "back". I don't believe any of them would risk this.

What's really bad is that everytime something like this happens is that in order to be noticed, terrorists feel they have to up the ante, and do more destruction.

Brian is master. He was right. As was always.
---
*Director of Co-ordinated Searches for Sea Snakes*
*Commander in Chief of Internal Supply of Staples*
*Head Organizer of Mindless Ramblings*
*Director of All That is Irrelevant*
---
Creator of What!?!, The Never Ending Thread
I will generally be kind, but once in a while, in the still of the night, the wolves will be allowed to howl. -Eddy
Character is who you are online! - Skeebercat(2)
Pea Lovers Forever!
Maus
Global Moderator
Emperor

Loyal Order of Sir Robin

« Reply #42 on: 09/12/01 at 08:10 PM »

I turned the news on as usual at 6:30 am local time when I got up. At 6:45, they started showing pictures of the first impact, then the second impact occured "live" a few minutes later. The govt facility I work at was closed for a second day today, so I've pretty much spent the past two days watching the news. F-16s from Buckley AFB make occaisonal sweeps over the Denver metro area.  

An interesting bit of cold information from a scientist's perspective: the structural engineers who built the WTC towers calculated the explosive force from the impact of a fully-fueled jetliner to be roughly 1 kiloton. The towers remained standing until the heat from the subsequent fires buckled the support columns. This means that the towers absorbed, and WITHSTOOD, 'prox 1/20th of the power of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

Alcohol and Calculus: don't drink and derive.
Grand Collator of the Ministry of Benevolent Guidance.
Proud consumer of Empress DonaMaria's annual budget.
Raul Nunez insists that I include this: "History is made at night"
Pattycake4554
Peasant

« Reply #43 on: 09/12/01 at 09:02 PM »

A friend in Indiana sent me this:

I thought this was appropriate today!  Send it on!
We should appreciate this one. This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.

A TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES

America: The Good Neighbor.

Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian  television commentator.  What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and  forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries  in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes.  Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them?  Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American
planes?

hy does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios.  You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles.  You talk about
American technocracy, and you find men on the moon-not once, but several times-and safely home again.

ou talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at.

Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose.
oth are still broke.

can name you 5,000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is dadgumeded tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."

Stand proud, America!

Pattycake4554
Peasant

« Reply #44 on: 09/12/01 at 09:06 PM »

sorry the first letter of some lines got cut off but I think you can figure it out. Someday I will learn to preview and correct before hitting the button!
El_Subcomandante
Rebel

« Reply #45 on: 09/12/01 at 09:09 PM »

I found this on the Motley Fool by someone with the user name jpbailey:

Dear Osama bin Laden:
Congratulations. You've done what our best diplomacy efforts have not been able to do. You've united the world. You've allowed the world to put aside its differences and instead made every terrorist group, and anyone helping these groups, enemy number one.

You struck us, you have wounded our country, but all that did was strengthen our resolve for freedom. It united a country and a world to stand up to anyone who would challenge that freedom. Instead of bringing out our worst, it brought out our best. Thousands giving blood, helping with the recovery, and standing up to you.

You launched an act of war. A war not against a country, but against any group that uses terrorism as a mechanism for policy, who attacks thousands of civilians, and who threatens democracy, freedom, and the opportunity for people to govern themselves. Be assured we will respond. We will be patient, prudent, and relentless in our pursuit. We will not strike out at citizens as you have done. We will target the persons who commit these acts of terrors.

You may think you won yesterday, but you are so sadly mistaken. You can strike a people, but the idea of democracy is bigger than New York City and the Pentagon. It is bigger than a country or a President. Democracy is tougher than terrorism. If you want to see the best of democracy than watch the people of New York. Watch the people of Washington DC. Watch America. Watch the world come together as it never has before. All for one reason...to defeat you and every other terrorist who threatens that freedom.

The only one who should afraid, Mr. bin Laden, is you.

robbo
« Reply #46 on: 09/12/01 at 10:56 PM »

on a humourous side note:
Britney Spears plane successfully made it to Sydney yesterday. The plane was 20 km out of US Airspace, when the FAA grounded the planes.
dadgumed! She should have stayed in LA  Smiley
Junta_Joe
Cafe Executioner
Supreme Deity

Be Very Afraid!

« Reply #47 on: 09/12/01 at 11:54 PM »

You have our deepest sympathies. Show her a kangaroo and tell her they like their tummy's rubbed! Make her feel right at home and ask her how much her implants cost!

The Cafe's Lord High Executioner: Your Prayers Will Not Save You!
Lord of Castle Doom:   Ad Astra Per Crania
Millenium p0000st tally = 8!
Official Cafe Shaman~~Holder of the Necronomicon~~Keeper of the Cafe Secrets~~Chanter to the Masses
Character is what you are in the dark
MadamPresident
Emperor

« Reply #48 on: 09/13/01 at 06:57 AM »

Even though it is unusual here, there are places in the world where bombs go off every day. Where there are lives lost every day. People go to work not expecting to come back. And they can't leave because there is nowhere to go.

I think the magnitude of shock was because of the "This cannot happen to us, this happens to other contries" mindset.

One thing I hope comes out of this is that the next time people hear of bombings and clashes in distant countries, they will understand the people there a little better because they have been through it. And it won't just be a statistic on the news anymore.

Em to my friends Smiley

Maus
Global Moderator
Emperor

Loyal Order of Sir Robin

« Reply #49 on: 09/13/01 at 09:39 AM »

The commentary by Gordon Sinclair posted above sounded very much like a popular radio tape I remembered from the 1970s. I searched "Gordon Sinclair" on Yahoo, and discovered that the above commentary is a rewrite of his June 5th, 1973 broadcast, made when the U.S. pulled out of Vietnam. Gordon Sinclair died in 1984.

For the original text of Sinclair's 1973 broadcast, see:

http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/schools/rta/ccf/news/unique/am_text.html

Alcohol and Calculus: don't drink and derive.
Grand Collator of the Ministry of Benevolent Guidance.
Proud consumer of Empress DonaMaria's annual budget.
Raul Nunez insists that I include this: "History is made at night"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Cafe Tropico  |  General Discussion  |  The Archives (Moderator: CafeDave)  |  Topic: Terrorist Attack in US

Jump to: