I thought I would have a go on this scenario and post my thoughts and screenshots every 6 months. What better way to say thank you to TJ for one of his several scenarios. The zip file worked fine on my XP system.
The random elements mean its not likely that what I say here will spoil your surpises if you havnt played it yourself...and if you havnt maybe this will encourage you to have a go.
Before I started I tweaked the scenario win conditions. I took out the mimimum time condition so that I can win Gold as soon as, if, I achieve the hoard requirement. Im going to scam and micromanage as usual and complete as fast as possible. I dont want to play for years of game time.
Wonder what starting ship I would get...I havnt cruised with anything bigger than a Sloop for 4 months+ (real time). A Galleon would be cool. If I get a big ship and changed my mind I could always scuttle it and use the resulting equipment to provision a fleet of small ships. What did I get...a Snow ! Loads of money though.
Jan 1695 Start. My first observation is how far the two docks are from the map edge. Sure enough - it takes an age to complete each mission. 10 or 11 days to sail to/from the dock to the map edge. Each raid for captives or specialists takes 26days. Learnt something though - a Snow still only uses the same 2 rations despite the duration being 3 times the length of a raid that starts from a dock right near the map edge. Also this consumption doesnt change with the crew numbers.
So I started.
- Make peace all round (for now).
- Close out all inactive captive jobs and at the palace.
- Women to the fields, Men to the timber camps.
- 2nd sawmill built as soon as possible plus wood supply established.
- Strategic decision: Shift docks and town to far shore of island. Will cut down cruise/raid times which are sure to be important later.
- One pirate house and scam gold from pirates.
- Specialists:Farmer, Wench, Bird Handler, Server. Got these for unlocking buildings as the Industruious nature of pirate queen means all the unskilled workers are soon at respectable skill level 4.
Tactical Decision May:
- Im short of workers. Will raid for captives now or should I go cruising instead ? My Snow is fully armed and first cruises are often safer because foreign powers wont deploy naval forces yet. Yet if I do this with a weak Snow, gain a handful of gold, it will draw naval forces to my zone making it dangerous later when i expect to be ready for all out cruising. Yet if I raid for captives I risk losing weapons. Because of my cash I decide to raid for unskilled. I can buy or make weapons later. Regrets it. First raid returns with +3 Capitives, -2 KIA, -2 Cutlass, -2 Cannon, -2 Muskets! That was expensive - and whats more Im not equipped enough to go cruising until I get some weapons.
July1695 (6 months into game)
Heres the island now.
The mini map in the left hand cornor shows how far the two starting docks were from the map edge. By contrast I cant get my new dock any closer to the edge. My new town next to my new dock is now viable with all entertainment set up. Original town (near the two docks) is now a ghost town - all buildings empty. I will set up a tent to demolish them later.
The refugees from the old town are on the long treck to the new town. Many are those ants on the road in the foreground. All the captives are hungry - the single slop tent is busy and i will be micromanaging like mad to ensure those that are treking or eating are doing something productive during that time.
I have one issue though. My new dock has no rations. So my Snow wont use it. Instead its heading to the old dock where the initial stock of 33 rations were delivered. For the last 6 weeks my new dock has stood idle whilst my Snow made the long path to the old dock where the rations are. I have no Black Market to buy rations and no corn to make new rations. First corn crop gathered in late May and rations produced since June. As you see it now in July a hauler with 6 rations is on the long path to the new dock but wont be there for ages.
Ive had an idea. Each raid takes 2 rations. If the Snow takes on 2 more as it docks now it will have 5. I send it off then demolish/hold the demolish of the dock with rations. The Snow must then return to the new dock which has no rations. Snow will still have 3 rations left - enough to send it out immediately. I then open up the old dock so the Snow will be able to pick up 4 rations as it returns from its 2nd next raid. Repeat until I secure adequate supplies.
Building plans: Short of workers I wont build next anything that needs loads. Parrot shop near the slop tent (next to mine) seems best. Workers coming out of slop tent can be managed into the construction tent nearby and build a parrot shop fast. Then Black Market then Blast Furnace should be viable. Meanwhile back in new town - a second dock (mothballed) will use those construction workers who are throwing up wench houses at the moment. Also want a 3rd sawmill.
Next raids: more captives. Unless a load come in on this raid about to dock then its a skilled Cook and Trader (if required to unlock black Market..will have to check).
Anyone else played this scenario recently? Any suggestions or questions ? It will be some time before my next installment.