Ive been watching my miners carefully for a while. These are my observations.
1) Miners go into the mine building.
2) They dont go underground despite the interesting looking winch mechanism of the mine. Open pit mining only in Tropico2.
3) They leave the building and head for a surface area that has lots of iron ore (darker green the better on the iron overlay). Not necessarily the closest area with ore.
4) They get there and briefly square their sholders.
5) They swing their pick into the ground repeatedly.
6) They stop mining and a sack appears on their sholder (where is pick?)
7) They head back to the mine building with the sack over their shoulder.
Sometimes they stop to get their bearings. The sack of Ore disappears momentarily (pick reappears) before sack of ore reappears on the miners shoulder (pick disappears) and he continues his journey.
9) Gets back to mine and deposits ore. Ore stock in the mine increases.
10) Repeats from 2) above unless the miner is needing to eat or sleep, or has been reasigned in the meantime to another job.
Recording the time and outcome of 30 or so mining sequences with different miners and overseer combinations produced the following conclusions:
- Skills and Overseer affect speed of mining
- Colour of area mined affects amount of Ore mined.
- Unskilled miners swing their pick a little faster but with less effect
- Skill 5 miner is no more effective than a skill 4 miner ?
- An overseer in a mine with skilled miners adds nothing
- Skilled Miner is not that valuable - his skill seems to be limited by a minimum of 20 days to dig iron ore.
Skill 0 miner (+overseer) took 119 pick swings over 27 days to dig ore.
Skill 2 miner (+overseer) took 102 pick swings over 24 days to dig ore.
Skill 3 miner (+overseer) took 93 pick swings over 22 days to dig ore.
Skill 4 miner (+overseer) took 83 pick swings over 20 days to dig ore.
Skill 5 miner (+overseer) took 83 pick swings over 20 days to dig ore.
Skill 3 miner (NO overseer) took 102 pick swings over 25 days to dig ore.
Skill 5 miner (NO overseer) took 83 pick swings over 20 days to dig ore.
The skilled miner always has the lamp in his helmet on.
- How? If its candle powered wouldnt it go out as miner bent over? No batteries in them days.
- Why ? Open cast mining, and various Tropican2 quotes "Not a cloud in the sky" and "Its always day"
All this for an industry you dont absolutly have to bother with...unless you want to test the efficiency of blast furnaces and blacksmiths. Give me a week..or two.