Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 356789 LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2021 -OVERTURE-

1. FF7 Remake! This is like, a really long one for me :-O

Currently working my way through the original.

2. Devolver Digital does a pretty good job of curating what it chooses to publish. Some of the games that they have helped bring to market
    have made it to Xbox Game Pass at some point. Over the last couple of months, I've played and finished:

8. Gato Robot (on Game Pass)

The heavy Metroid influence is pretty obvious, but it has enough hooks of its own to make it more than worth its short play time.
    The controls might take a bit of getting used to, but once they click the become second nature. The game is filled to the brim with
    detail and charm and does not overstay its welcome. Even when you go for the 100%. I really enjoyed it!

9. Katana Zero (on Game Pass)

This one is a trip! The levels in the game are composed of short rooms that require very precise "navigation". I hesitate to use the
    verb "platforming" to describe it as it would bring comparisons to games like Super Meat Boy, Celeste, Rayman Origins/Legends,
    or anything else of that nature. The core of the game play loop centers around clearing the room of its enemies in order to proceed
    to the next room. There is no energy bar, so one hit and you're out. There's a "bullet time" mechanic that can help you in some of
    the tighter situations. The penalty for being killed is pretty low as it basically starts you back immediately at the beginning of the room
    without any load times so that you can start plotting how to tackle the room next.

The art style, presentation, and music are fantastic. The story is a bit all over the place in the best possible way. Things ended with
    a lot of ambiguity that hopefully will lead to some DLC in the future. Highly recommended!!

10. Death's Door (not on Game Pass as of this writing)

I saw videos of Death's Door and, game play wise, it really reminded me of one of my favorite experiences in
    video games ever: Hyper Light Drifter (if you haven't payed it, you really should!). Well, HLD it is not. Death's Door is
    more like a Zelda inspired top down, 3/4 angle view, action/adventure. Its game play is pretty slow and straightforward.
    The storytelling/world crafting isn't very strong. The music is competent, but doesn't stand out. The bosses are just
    above average. The dungeon design is a bit weak. The game does have a very nice and interesting look to it.
    It's very pretty.

It sounds like I'm a bit down on the game, but in reality it is not a bad game. Just not great. Not all them can be
    The game was made by just 2 people. I think they did a fantastic job with the resources at hand.

11. The Ascent (on Game Pass)

This one is not a Devolver published game. Earlier in this thread, I raved about how much I liked Neon Chrome.
    I was hoping The Ascent would scratch that same itch. Turns out it's quite a bit different. More of a 3rd person,
    3/4 view dungeon crawler where the dungeon is an extremely well crafted cyberpunk dystopian city. This game
    is a sight to behold! Feels like you're playing a game in the city from Akira. The music fits the world perfectly too!

The controls aren't super tight but adequate. The loot system isn't very rewarding. This is unfortunate as loot is
    very important in games like these (basically Diablo with guns). The story is standard cyberpunk fair, but written and
    voice acted competent enough to keep me engaged. My main complaint with the story is that your character doesn't
    seem to be "known" even after all the havoc that ensues wherever you go.

The attention to detail and love poured into the crafting of the world and cityscape had me wanting to explore every
    corner of the game. And I did! Don't think I'll go through another play through, but if they provide any future DLC,
    I might consider it.Still had lot of fun with it. So if you think you'd be into a simpler Diablo clone but with guns,
    give it a try!

3. 7) Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (PC)
    Cleared it on Hard. The Monstrums' Gift powers mix well into the Ys gameplay. Some areas take a certain character's Gift to go into, like Crimson Line to zip up to a place you normally can't reach, Heaven's Run to climb up walls, or Hunter's Descent to fly over gaps. Skills not only get stronger when leveled up, but also cost less SP. English dub voices are good, and the translation turned out well from the start, unlike the rocky Ys VIII launch. The prison scenes aren't quite as fun as Dana's sections from Ys VIII, but it's still great overall. Combat is solid as always. Thanks to Durante and his team, the PC port is amazing and offers improved draw distance over the PS4 (while you can't choose unlimited for now, the Lunatic setting is still good).

I'll give Nightmare (or higher? Inferno is now the second-highest difficulty... Lunatic anyone?) difficulty a try sometime.

4. Battle Chasers (PS4) - a decent low budget old school turn based strategy RPG. It's not spectacular, or anything, but certainly recommend it for fans of the genre.

5. Got Steel Assault on Switch - it's a short game, only took about 40 minutes, but was a lot of fun. A great short-range action-platformer that blends Mega Man Zero with Contra.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

6. Talk about a sight for sore eyes!

7. #2 Hades

I can't believe this is only my 2nd game completed this year, I am a few games behind Tain Hades is absolutely one of my favorite rogue-like dungeon game, the game is just massive in the number of weapons and upgrades (boons) that you can collect (randomly) through each run. The story is really good too, and the 6 weapons with different variations of powers make each run different. You can be shooting arrows or bullets from a distance with the bow/gun, and then do something opposite with the fist or shield. I was initially turned off by the art of the game along with the isometric view, but I am glad I stuck with it once I learn the combat system. I still have to do a couple more runs with the sword (my weakest weapon) but I am done with the main story of the game (where you have to defeat Hades 10x). Great game, I give it a 10/10.

8. 12. Hades

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    #2 Hades

I can't believe this is only my 2nd game completed this year, I am a few games behind Tain Hades is absolutely one of my favorite rogue-like dungeon game, the game is just massive in the number of weapons and upgrades (boons) that you can collect (randomly) through each run. The story is really good too, and the 6 weapons with different variations of powers make each run different. You can be shooting arrows or bullets from a distance with the bow/gun, and then do something opposite with the fist or shield. I was initially turned off by the art of the game along with the isometric view, but I am glad I stuck with it once I learn the combat system. I still have to do a couple more runs with the sword (my weakest weapon) but I am done with the main story of the game (where you have to defeat Hades 10x). Great game, I give it a 10/10.
    I just finished this over the weekend as well. I'm going for the epilogue. There is one issue with it though (and this is more a "me" issue). The list that the Fates provide triggers my OCD in a bad way. I can logically reason that it doesn't really matter, but I see the incomplete list and continue to try to complete it. I think it wouldn't be as bad if it were not for the randomness of it all. But like you, I was initially put of by it (not necessarily by the art, just not that into rouge-like/lights/lites), but it is very well crafted game. Writing is well done, voice acting is excellent, and the world is cohesive.
    Last edited by Nei; 04 Oct 2021 at 10:15 AM.

9. Good job Nei. Which weapon is your favorite, and also favorite god(dess)/boons?