Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 515171819

Thread: Favorite CDs so far of 2004

1. Hmm...I have over 100 CDs* from 2004...lots to choose allready for the end of the year.

*Not all CDs have been purchased.
    your mom

2. I have... 50

With... uh, let's not go into how many I bought.

3. I'm not sure how many CD's I have from this year, but to be honest I haven't been completely floored by anything yet.

The CD's I got this year which particularly kicked my arse (from other years) are:

Steven Malkmus S/T
    Pavement - Crooked Rain
    Denali S/T
    Oceansize - effleuresce or something
    Easystar Allstars - Dub Side of The Moon

and more, but I'd have to look through my CD's to list them.

4. Bitcrush - Enarc

Bitcrush is a side project of Mike Cadoo, one half of Gridlock, a personal favorite. After putting his Dryft project to rest, Enarc is the debut release for Bitcrush.

As expected, it's got some elements of Gridlock and Dryft, but it's been taken in a new direction, with shoegazer guitar textures being added to the nervous percussion and atmospheric synths.

The track "Frebasyc" has a wicked Peter Hook-style bass riff that blends into the structure perfectly, and the hidden track "Saturday's Ghost" does away with the electronics almost completely, resulting in a song very reminiscent of early Ride or My Bloody Valentine. Incredible, and for me, a marriage of the modern and nostalgic.

"Eye Koto" uses traditional Japanese instrumentation to complement the synthetics, and "Enarc Ende Y?" is an aggressive shadow of Gridlock's Formless. The track "Carbon" is slowed down and reversed in "Carbon Rewind" to dramatic effect. Every track stands on its own, but the album is also a complete work in total.

Enarc is traditional and experimental at the same time, familiar yet alien. It's good that Cadoo has this kind of creative outlet, and it'll be interesting to see how his future sound continues to change. Looking back to Synthetic Form-era Gridlock, it's quite an experience to hear the foundation laid, and the evolution leading up to now. But even on its own, Enarc is a highly versatile and wonderful record.
    Last edited by BioMechanic; 04 Nov 2004 at 07:46 PM.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

Hmm so far....

Mos Def-New Danger
    Everything MF.Doom has released this year(4 cds,)
    Dilated Peoples new shit
    the First and Third Visionaries.
    I havn't picked up any new rock this year.nothin really cought my ear.
    I have picked up some old shit....like the first and 4th black sabbath cd's,muddy waters,and the NIN 10th...super good shit.
    I do plan on getting Chevell,i just don't know when.

JBNagis