Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 919212223

Thread: Metal recommendations.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel
    Listen to 'em both back to back...it'll come to you.
    How do you like Lifesblood?
    This is complete bullshit, unless of course Mastodon released the albums at the same time and meant for you to listen to them back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    This is complete bullshit, unless of course Mastodon released the albums at the same time and meant for you to listen to them back to back.
    What exactly are you trying to say? Listen to Remission, then listen to Leviathan right after and you will know. Or be wrong.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

3. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel
    Listen to 'em both back to back...it'll come to you.
    OK, I listened to them a few times back to back (so that's about 15 times for Remission and maybe 20-30 for Leviathan) and I do think Leviathan edges out Remission. The major differences I see: 1. Remission has much less melodicism. 2. Remission's first half stands out much more than its second, by "Trilobite" it kind of fades out of mind. Leviathan does not sound like a tamed Mastodon, and the sequencing and/or crop of songs seems better.

How do you like Lifesblood?
    Only listened to it twice so far, but I can tell I don't like it as much as either album. It's hard to really frame an opinion of it. The opening clips are a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Punky Skunk
    OK, I listened to them a few times back to back (so that's about 15 times for Remission and maybe 20-30 for Leviathan) and I do think Leviathan edges out Remission. The major differences I see: 1. Remission has much less melodicism. 2. Remission's first half stands out much more than its second, by "Trilobite" it kind of fades out of mind. Leviathan does not sound like a tamed Mastodon, and the sequencing and/or crop of songs seems better.

Only listened to it twice so far, but I can tell I don't like it as much as either album. It's hard to really frame an opinion of it. The opening clips are a nice touch.
    Yeah, Lifesblood is definitely as much hardcore as metal. That one sample from Dancing Outlaw is the shit. But these are the best songs they do live, in my opinion(having seen them a few times).
    Heh, I'm wearing my Leviathan shirt right now.

5. http://www.mastodonrocks.com/merch.html

Speaking of Mastodon shirts, #005 was so close to perfection, but they had to make the reaper a "comic book chick." Yarg. #004 it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Punky Skunk
    http://www.mastodonrocks.com/merch.html

Speaking of Mastodon shirts, #005 was so close to perfection, but they had to make the reaper a "comic book chick." Yarg. #004 it is.
    Hmm, they don't have the one I've got. It's red w/ a B/W picture of Moby Dick.

7. Just about any song by Dark Tranquillity, Before The Dawn or Lacuna Coil is my recommendation. Dark Tranquillity's The mind's i is, in my opinion, their masterpiece and the single greatest album of all time by any band, but it's not easy listening. It's beautifully built, each song entwined with all the others and full of deeper meanings each time you delve deep into the lyrics; hell, even the cover has a meaning you can write a short book on. But yea, not easy listening. For easier listening, check out their stuff since 2000 or almost anything from the other two bands i mentioned.
    super-awesome signature coming soon

8. Seriously, kill yourself.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. See those dates above everybody's user names?

When they're 3 years old, you probably should think twice before replying.
    Last edited by jyoung; 22 Aug 2008 at 02:05 AM.

10. I recommend myself more Brocas Helm. Ah yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    Just about any song by Dark Tranquillity, Before The Dawn or Lacuna Coil is my recommendation. Dark Tranquillity's The mind's i is, in my opinion, their masterpiece and the single greatest album of all time by any band, but it's not easy listening. It's beautifully built, each song entwined with all the others and full of deeper meanings each time you delve deep into the lyrics; hell, even the cover has a meaning you can write a short book on. But yea, not easy listening. For easier listening, check out their stuff since 2000 or almost anything from the other two bands i mentioned.
    This would've turned me off of metal completely and I would've missed hundreds of great albums.