Page 15 of 159 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Metal Thread

1. knowing me knowing you !
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

2. Quote Originally Posted by Aziz
    i was talking to my cousin the other day about metal and who are the biggest influences and who made metal what it is today our little talk ended up in an argument, he says that Black Sabbath is the most influencial because they started it all whereas i say that Ozzy soldout and that Iron Maiden / Motorhead are the only untouchables when it comes to Metal , i wanted to know your opinions on this and who is more important in Metal history
    I recommend reading this article whenever you have some free time. Like most of the articles and editorials on anus, I don't agree with everything that's being expressed, but it's still a highly interesting and informative index of information.

Edit: I almost forget to mention Crimson Massacre’s latest and most creative creation called "The Luster of Pandemonium" that was recently released and has been rapidly receiving rave recommendations throughout the metal community. After accustoming my own ears to the album’s first four feats of frenetic excellence I feel compelled to claim that “The Luster of Pandemonium” could truly become the kind of miraculous metal moment that changes the way one perceives the current state of certain genres (in this instance, the stagnant stench surrounding contemporary death metal's dated and deftly disguised collection of carrion-cum-crusaders--namely, Nile, Decapitated, Hate Eternal, etc.)

Tomorrow morning I will be mailing out my meager fiscal compensations to the band’s best-known distributor (Red Stream) in exchange for a completed copy to call my own. I’m apprehensively awaiting what should be an essential album for anyone with a desire to discover an expansion of death metal that advances through enigmatic and eccentric avenues.

Interested parties can acquire a sample song available at the following location: http://s34.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...B1HDBX4QPWBPY8
    Last edited by jyoung; 11 Jul 2005 at 09:37 PM.

3. [QUOTE=wEEman33]I recommend reading this article whenever you have some free time. Like most of the articles and editorials on anus, I don't agree with everything that's being expressed, but it's still a highly interesting and informative index of information.
    QUOTE]

thanks for the read,however i disagree with it a bit the i mean do i have to hate life in order to fully embrace metal that doesnt make any sense and he even gives you tips on how to drink blood , thats plain weird

I once read a national lampoon article from the 70s about how to roll a car while getting a BJ. I think that is much more importent to know than how to drink blood.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Aziz
    thanks for the read,however i disagree with it a bit the i mean do i have to hate life in order to fully embrace metal that doesnt make any sense and he even gives you tips on how to drink blood , thats plain weird
    I'm still not sure how you pulled a "hating life" philosophy from that article (unless you somehow misconstrued the meaning of nihilism), but since you obviously read Anus’ metal FAQ as well, I suppose I should remind you that "FAQ" is an acronym for “frequently asked questions,” hence the author’s explanation of activities like fire breathing and blood drinking that tend to accompany some extreme metal shows. Again, one of the author’s core beliefs is that ultimately, all aficionados of metal will eventually engage in their own attempts at creating music.

A few other metal-related musings:

Hate Eternal's latest release entitled "I, Monarch" features another fast and frenzied performance from Derek Roddy along with a small but solid selection of guitar solos that's marred by a multitude of lifeless guitar riffs and one of the many mediocre vocal deliveries that have helped to distance modern death metal from its highly-esteemed heritage. Avoid this album unless you enjoy heaping amounts of generic grinding.

“Neurotripsticks” from France's Gorod (a.k.a Gorgasm–they changed their name to avoid confusion with Unique Leader's deathgrind band) is another arresting and abnormal death metal album whose clever containment of celerity demands ardent attention. Check out the three sample songs on Willowtip’s website: http://www.willowtip.com/downloads/

While you’re on that page I’d also suggest sampling the available Alarum album, even though you’ll find it to be full of jazz-fusion in addition to the few tiny flourishes of death metal sprinkled about.

Lastly, I'm absolutely ecstatic about the upcoming effort from !T.O.O.H.! (in this instance, the nature of their name is truly indicative of the type of music that they play) that is due out sometime this summer, as they are an overlooked anomaly amidst an inundation of inferior extreme metal acts. You can stream several songs from their relatively brief discography at this location: http://www.tooh.wz.cz/mainEN.html
    Last edited by jyoung; 16 Jul 2005 at 02:33 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by station82o
    Other than that i've been listening to alot of Dragonforce and Def Leppard
    I don't know if Def Leppard would be considered metal, if they are, defenitely in the glam/hair metal catagory. Mind you I'm not dissin' on DL, they are teh rock. Teh Rock of Ages that is.

Any thoughts on Killswitch Engage? I just started listening to them a bit ago and I think they kick ass. I know alot of you guys that only really listen to old-school probably aren't into this kind of thing, but I think metal is one kind of music that consistently always has good new bands coming out.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo
    I don't know if Def Leppard would be considered metal, if they are, defenitely in the glam/hair metal catagory. Mind you I'm not dissin' on DL, they are teh rock. Teh Rock of Ages that is.
    The first Def Leppard album (On Through the Night or whatever it was) is pretty much straight-up NWOBHM with a bit more psychedelics. After that they degenerated into pop-metal glam stuff.

8. winter appears yet again

Yeah Def Leppard, totally not metal in my opinion but good rock music I grew up on, I dunno why I mentioned it here, I guess to show how much I haven't been listening to metal lately, aside from random power metal discs and Dragonforce (extreme soloings!!!!!!!!1111), I'm a bit burnt out on death and black metal at the moment. Band of the moment: Faith No More

Killswitch is alright, I have a promo copy of an album of theirs, Gohron is a fan I think.
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo
    Any thoughts on Killswitch Engage? I just started listening to them a bit ago and I think they kick ass. I know alot of you guys that only really listen to old-school probably aren't into this kind of thing, but I think metal is one kind of music that consistently always has good new bands coming out.

I used to be into them pretty extensively and they helped get me into a lot of death metal. Even went and saw them in Febuary but I'm not too big of a fan anymore but I'd say they're still a semi-decent band at the very least. If you like Killswitch Engage you should check out Into Eternity or Soilwork (saw both live). Not too big of a Soilwork fan, but you should look into them, Into Eternity is pretty damn good though, they played an excellent show when I saw them with All Shall Parish, Incantation, Krisiun and Hate Eternal.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

10. Nightrage is coming to the US soon, no official dates yet but it'll be in September/October, I've been waiting for a US tour from Nightrage, it's gonna be great. The other bands they're play with are:
    God Dethroned, Byzantine, Epoch of Unlight, Hell Within and Lilitu
    Nothing too exciting with the other groups for me but it's gonna be a great show, too bad Thomas Lindberg just left Nightrage and won't be on the tour.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453