Page 2 of 159 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Metal Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Punky Skunk

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider -- Definitely sounds a bit Metallica-ish, but don't like the singer and a bit monotonous. FIGHT ON, GRAB ON STORMRIDAH STORMRIDAH <-- I liked that part.
    You should listen to "The Dark Saga", see how you like that - different singer on that album - much better than the Night of the Stormrider guy, and if you like those Stormrider songs though, check out the Days of Purgatory album -- its re-recorded Iced Earth stuff with their Dark Saga era vocalist. Good shit.

Also - download and listen to the song "I Want Out" by Helloween, its a great great song even if you dont care for the band, its off of Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2.
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

You know who owns? Rainbow owns.

Damn I wish I had a turntable here to play rising on.

3. That last article was righteous.
    o_O

4. Got the new Judas Priest album tonight, will post some impressions later tommorow once I get a few good listens to it. I know for sure that the song "Revolution" rocks like hell - so far the stuff I've heard sounds really good. More like British Steel than Painkiller but still good.

5. Carcass - Swansong -- It sounds like something that belongs on the Last Action Hero soundtrack. Couldn't finish listening through a second time.

Lamb of God - some EP with 5 tracks -- Awful. More chugging angst-rock with no personality. Live track banter was too embarrassing.

Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Honky Reduction -- Grindcore, most worthless type of music I've ever heard. At least I stopped myself from downloading the entire thing.

Fear Factory - Demanufacture -- If only I had heard the first track before downloading the entire thing I wouldn't have felt obligated to listen to it all, but it's basically just the first track repeated throughout the entire album. Joke was on me.

Has anyone heard:

Disharmonic Orchestra
    Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients / Spheres
    Aghora

I need something to pick me up from this music low. Something progressive.

6. something progressive? Orphaned Land - Mabool

the best shit ever.

7. Quote Originally Posted by station82o
    Got the new Judas Priest album tonight, will post some impressions later tommorow once I get a few good listens to it. I know for sure that the song "Revolution" rocks like hell - so far the stuff I've heard sounds really good. More like British Steel than Painkiller but still good.
    And? Bring it on, sir. I saw this at Borders today and waffled on buying it unheard and without reading any impressions. I doubt there's any way to disuade me from thinking it's a worthwhile purchase tho. I mean Halford's live album was insane, and I was listening to Screaming for Vengeance today and saw an old concert of theirs the other night on VH1 Classic and my blood is boiling for JP so I need this. So unless this new album sounds like the Carpenters, it's probably for me.

All I'm looking for in this album really is: 1) duel lead guitaring and soaring solos, 2) Halford wailing with power and precision, 3) double kick drumming machine gunning, 4) at least one "epic" type song. Do I get any of that stuff?
    Last edited by Scourge; 04 Mar 2005 at 02:09 PM.

8. Well, the epic song on the album "Lochness", fucking sucks - its just horrible, Priest could never do epic like Maiden could but at least stuff like Blood Red Skies was good in its own way, this is not. The first 5 tracks in the record really rule, and I even enjoy the ballad "Angel" (yeah a ballad) a little bit, but the record does somewhat fall flat in the second half - in retrospect after a couple listens, they did need to bolster the speed up somewhat and you wont really find alot of double kick anywhere. Its a good record, but as far as comeback albums go, Iron Maiden's Brave New World shits all over this.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Punky Skunk
    Carcass - Swansong -- It sounds like something that belongs on the Last Action Hero soundtrack. Couldn't finish listening through a second time.
    HAH. Black Star is the worst song ever written.

10. Quote Originally Posted by station82o
    Well, the epic song on the album "Lochness", fucking sucks - its just horrible, Priest could never do epic like Maiden could but at least stuff like Blood Red Skies was good in its own way, this is not. The first 5 tracks in the record really rule, and I even enjoy the ballad "Angel" (yeah a ballad) a little bit, but the record does somewhat fall flat in the second half - in retrospect after a couple listens, they did need to bolster the speed up somewhat and you wont really find alot of double kick anywhere. Its a good record, but as far as comeback albums go, Iron Maiden's Brave New World shits all over this.
    You just kicked me in the balls.