Page 237 of 252 FirstFirst ... 223233235236237238239241251 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 2514

Thread: The Weekly Comics Grind

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I liked picking up X-men #321 and knowing there were exactly 320 issues prior to search out if I wanted everything (and with my OCD, of course I did). Now the comics switch names and numbering at the drop of a hat and they're so decompressed that there's no point in grabbing a single issue of anything. It's like someone dumping a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle on the floor and charging you $4.00 for a single piece.
    This is the issue I have, honestly. In order to properly enjoy this Hulk story I have to read the Fantastic Four and Avengers and shit? I get it from a financial standpoint, but it just seems like a pain.

I'd like it if it was just Hulk 100-125 or whatever.

2. When I read Planet Hulk, I ignored everything but the main story. I don't feel like I missed anything.

You mean you don't want to know who is off brooding about it somewhere and why?

4. Never. And picture the other end of the financial standpoint. Trying to actually buy all that shit as a 12 year old kid.

5. I'm with Pacrappa. Obviously there are and always will be exceptions when dealing with such large swaths of artists working in something as broad as eras (for example All-Star Superman and more recently Mike Allred and Dan Slott's Silver Surfer are some of the best work the medium has ever produced), but by and large anything Marvel or DC put out after around 1985 pales in comparison to what came before. But I think this is entirely a function of the majority of consumers of pop media disdaining the picaresque model more than anything, and it's certainly not limited to comics, look at Star Trek for example.

I have a friend who had a comics shop who once told me "As much as everyone wants to claim to want one-shots, the fact is they do them and they don't sell. Look at Dini's run on Detective Comics...". He 's more in touch with what people want then I am. But for me, it seems like a single issue needs to offer at least some satisfaction on its own. When you compare a single issue of Colan's Dr. Strange with Infinity Gauntlet Dr. Strange, or pretty much any Gold Key comic (which all seem to be such dense events as to take multiple sessions to read) or an issue of Savage Sword of Conan you realize why there's no good reason not to tell the people who swindled Jack Kirby to eat a dick with their 52 Infinite Civil Wars shit.

Several years ago I was at a cafe where they had comics strewn amongst the reading material, and I read an issue of X-men maybe a hundred or two issues removed from the last one I read. Almost two decades later they're still referring to Dark Phoenix and I realized I haven't missed out on anything.
    Last edited by Vasteel; 09 Jun 2016 at 04:19 AM.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

6. I LOVED the Dini run. Everyone was cumming all over the boring shit Morrison was doing in Batman and I was like, no, buy Detective instead...

7. I'm going to fully agree with the post above me.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. Dini has a one shot coming out very soon about when he was mugged during the time he was working on The Animated Series.

9. Your mom has a one-shot coming very soon.

10. It's not nearly as dramatic.