Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrolling Beat 'em ups / Fighting Games

1. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Right, but arcade games are about flexing your skill, too, and if it's impossible to 1-credit a game it can sap your motivation to play it. Some of those mounted-gun shooters have the same problem.You just have to take a certain amount of damage, and you can't perfect your game, and because they're not as skill-driven, they're not much fun after a quarter.

Shmups on the other hand, have a stronger history of being balanced and I think the 1-hit life helps to nurture that kind of balance.
    Indeed. I've never been skilled or patient enough to learn to one credit a shmup, but I know it's possible. And I respect that. On the other hand, if you're going to get hit and die at some point no matter how good you are, that feels more like a carny scam to me than a videogame.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
    Oh no, I agree whole-hearted. That's why for the most part, shmups have stayed the same, or closer to their source material overtime. Closer than any other genre has, and still maintained a solid fanbase.

Beat-Em-Ups had to evolve. Games like Devil May Cry are by products of the genre.
    And I love DMC... which of course can be mastered.

[Edit]: But in thinking about it more, if Captain Commando, Final Fight, etc., hadn't been so cheap, I still wouldn't have really been feeling them. They're still just boring to me.
    Last edited by Compass; 25 Feb 2007 at 12:43 AM.

2. I play these games with one credit mostly and there's definitely enough room for flexing your skills and such. Of course memorization is a big part, but that's the same with shmups or any single player game for that matter.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
    Beat-Em-Ups had to evolve. Games like Devil May Cry are by products of the genre.
    Yeah, some of the modern incarnations are alright. I liked Sword of the Berserk as well. Viewtiful Joe was neat and almost great, and yet not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
    I play these games with one credit mostly and there's definitely enough room for flexing your skills and such. Of course memorization is a big part, but that's the same with shmups or any single player game for that matter.
    The better ones are definitely one-creditable. I'm not saying no one can 1cc Double Dragon or Ninja Gaiden. But there's a lot of dreck in between that people get all nostalgic over that really isn't worthy.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 25 Feb 2007 at 01:00 AM.

4. Just for the name alone.

5. So stuff like Bad Dudes or Vigilante aren't considered sidescrolling beatemups?

6. I'M BAD!

7. HEY DUDES THANKS,
    FOR RESCUING ME.
    LET'S GO FOR A BURGER....
    HA! HA! HA! HA!

My favorites were always fantasy-themed, like the Capcom D&D games, or Golden Axe (which I could 1-credit when I was a kid).

EDIT: That list is missing one very important game;
    Guardians of the 'Hood
    Last edited by kedawa; 25 Feb 2007 at 04:10 AM.

8. I haven't included Guardians of the Hood because you're always fighting one enemy at a time, and I didn't bother with those games.

Also, there's no universal agreement to what is a scrolling beat 'em up, so I've come up with a definition that made most sense to me (but of course is a compromise on the edges). Those games with a planar playing field use different strategies, so I excluded them.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    So stuff like Bad Dudes or Vigilante aren't considered sidescrolling beatemups?
    I would think they are. My Hero, too.