Page 1 of 494 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Workout Thread

1. The Workout Thread

Captain, me database can't take no more!

Direct all new weightlifting/nutrition/exercise discussion here, pls. The old thread's being retired.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Are freeweights the best way to build upper body strength?

3. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    Are freeweights the best way to build upper body strength?
    raw eggs and shots of cum imo.

for lower body.......cock pushups.

4. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    Are freeweights the best way to build upper body strength?

Yes. You are forced to use muscles to stabilize as well as lift. Ever noticed how much more weight you can handle on a machine?

5. Damnit I wish I had noticed there was a part deux before I posted this in the other one.

I started this past Wednesday. I did shoulders, back and biceps. And then this morning (Saturday morning) I did lunges and squats, triceps and some stomach crunches and sit-ups. I cut down my run to 15 minutes and do it at the end of each workout.

The day following the workout and the day after I can tell my muscles have been worked out. They're slightly loose and fatigued but not burning too much. I do stretches for about 10 minutes before I work out. So the workout is about 50 minutes to an hour and ten minutes total. Today I went to a Toronto FC game (soccer) and the stairs were giving me a headache after the squatting and lunges. Not so much that I couldn't do it or anything crazy but I felt every step.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Quote Originally Posted by Hubbitron View Post
    Yes. You are forced to use muscles to stabilize as well as lift. Ever noticed how much more weight you can handle on a machine?
    Yeah, but does this matter in the end, really? If I'm just trying to get in better shape and not trying to win any weightlifting contests?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

7. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    Yeah, but does this matter in the end, really? If I'm just trying to get in better shape and not trying to win any weightlifting contests?

Yes. There is difference between gaining bulk and just getting in better shape. To gain bulk you lift heavier weights and implement a more "power lifting" regimen. To just "get in better shape" you can just lift lighter weights with more reps to work on muscle memory and stamina.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

8. Dreamcast

If you're just wanting to get in better shape, machines are fine. Generally speaking, they can even be better for the casual workout guy (less stress on your muscles, almost no chance of injury if you do the machine right).

If you're wanting to get stronger for any practical reason (sports, work, defending your lady's honor), go with the free weights.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

9. Hub's right- free weights are better for strength/size than machines.

As for machines vs/ free weights for the average joe just trying to get in shape, I'd still say free weights, or at least a healthy mix of the two. Machines lock you into a singular, strict range of motion and only build strength along that specific plane of movement. That can lead to muscle inbalances and possible injuries. Some machine work is fine, but mix in some free weight stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Meach View Post
    If you're just wanting to get in better shape, machines are fine. Generally speaking, they can even be better for the casual workout guy (less stress on your muscles, almost no chance of injury if you do the machine right).
    There's almost no chance of hurting yourself with free weights either, as long as you're using correct form and warming up properly. But it's a lot easer to fuck up using a dumbbell or barbell than a machine.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 04 Jun 2007 at 10:40 AM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

10. There's a chance of dropping a whole shitload of weight on your sternum that doesn't exist when you're using a machine. Also, changing weights is a pain in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.