Page 15 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    That thing was fucking sick.
    I really dig the setup Universal does for its attractions, all the Cyberdine Systems coorporate stuff going on before you go into the theater for T2-3D.

I remember the atmosphere they set up while waiting in line line for the King Kong ride scaring the hell out of me as a kid back in 1993.

2. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I really dig the setup Universal does for its attractions, all the Cyberdine Systems coorporate stuff going on before you go into the theater for T2-3D.
    I loved the overly-cheerful Cyberdyne tour guide (if I recall correctly, the T-1000 does her in), and the fact that you watch the "presentation" in the Miles Bennett Dyson auditorium.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    I found dialogs be worst part of Death Proof. Usually Tarrantino's stuff is good, but here I just couldnt stand the bitch chit-chat and such.
    Oh, it's MUCH more boring in real life. I wish my chick friends talked like the girls in Death Proof.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    Do you mind me asking why you had to watch Joy Luck Club for class? Seems like a weird choice to me. From a technical point of view, it's not that great a movie and from a historical point of view, there are a lot of better movies covering similar territory. Why'd your professor pick this one?
    this wasnt for my film classes, it was for my american character class. It was going along with our subject of Cultural Dualism and Cultural Translation, dont ask me what that means i already took the final and its all blown over my head.

I read some of the worst books in this class too
    Last edited by B-Ri; 14 Dec 2007 at 12:33 AM.
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

5. I watched the underdog, girl soccer-player movie, Gracie, starring the gorgeous Carly Schroeder. Some questionable acting (although the mom was great), and an avalanche of cliches didn't stop this from being a sweet movie with a nice soundtrack and a positive message.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gracie_ver2.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	29434  

6. Quote Originally Posted by B-Ri View Post
    this wasnt for my film classes, it was for my american character class
    Well, I'm still kind of perplexed why this film was chosen, though I guess it's a decent enough pick. What exactly does that class cover? I'm guessing the makeup of the nation's people, and the movie was used because it's about emigrants and their first generation American children?

A few movies that are of somewhat similar topics but I think are better are:

1) Come See The Paradise ***1/2: Deals with the rounding up and placing in camps of Japanese Americans during WWII. Stars Dennis Quaid and Tamlyn Tomita. Covers Japanese emigrees and how they lived prior to the war, what their rights were, plus covers their first generation, born in the US children and their differences with their parents. Also deals with mixed race relationships and covers some Labor politics as well.

2) Green Dragon (****): Quite a bit different than Joy Luck Club or Come See The Paradise. This is about refugees from Vietnam coming to the US in the evacuation of Vietnam at the end of the war. It takes place completely at Camp Pendleton. I wouldn't expect a professor at a University to ever show this movie because it's positive about the US, but they really should, because it's a story most people don't consider when talking about the Vietnam War. Stars Patrick Swayze and Forest Whitaker, but is mostly Vietnamese performers and is about 85% in spoken Vietnamese, so subtitled.

3) Double Happiness (***): Stars Sandra Oh in her first major role. This is much more light hearted fair. Plus it's Canadian. But it's a great depiction of the differences of first generation children of Chinese emigrants with their parents.

4) Saving Face (***1/2): This is a great little independent movie about a Chinese American daughter and her Chinese mother living in Flushing, Queens, NYC. The daughter is a twenty something lesbian, and the mother has a secret love. It's about the shame of going against tradition in the Chinese community but the ultimate need to be happy and honest. This does have a lesbian love scene with nudity (which was actually quite hot I must admit) so I don't know about showing it in class, but you're in college right? Shouldn't be a problem.

(star ratings are out of five stars; I'd give Joy Luck Club **1/2)

I only bring this all up because I think these are better than Joy Luck Club, and I wonder if your professor could dig a little deeper in his/her research when coming up with a movie for you guys. Check these movies out and talk with your professor about them. Couldn't hurt.
    Last edited by Scourge; 14 Dec 2007 at 01:00 AM.

7. Dreamcast

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Still great. Still.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

8. John Cusack two-fer last night.
    I watched Grosse Pointe Blank and High Fidelity. One other thing these two movies shared in common aside from Both featuring both Cusacks, was the the leading ladies in each film are quite unattractive (Minnie Driver and Iben Hjejle).

I saw GPB years ago and thought it was funny. HF sucked. I hate movies where people whine about their shitty problems that they bring upon themselves, only to see the light at the end of the movie. Cusack's character was an unlikable faggot. Jack Black was funny, but since I've seen him playing the same character so many times already, he's lost some of his luster.

9. I've been meaning to read High Fidelity. That reminds me.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    John Cusack two-fer last night.
    I watched Grosse Pointe Blank and High Fidelity. One other thing these two movies shared in common aside from Both featuring both Cusacks, was the the leading ladies in each film are quite unattractive (Minnie Driver and Iben Hjejle).

I saw GPB years ago and thought it was funny. HF sucked. I hate movies where people whine about their shitty problems that they bring upon themselves, only to see the light at the end of the movie. Cusack's character was an unlikable faggot. Jack Black was funny, but since I've seen him playing the same character so many times already, he's lost some of his luster.
    Now go watch Better Off Dead. Probably my favorite Cusack movie ever. Since then he has been rehashing the same role