Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Involved - Making Your State Better

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Do you mean child literacy?
    The irony is not lost on me.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa View Post
    I guess the city wouldn't want to advertise the fact that they kowtowed to the actions and judgment of a bunch of unwashed ruffians. Because then people might think they could actually get what they want out of life.
    This is probably true.

Or the people who wrote that stuff up are so removed from normal people that they are just unaware of your efforts and can't imagine anything other than what they wrote.

old honkies are clueless man

3. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    The irony is not lost on me.
    Nor I.

4. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I'm completely in it for myself at the moment. If I have extra once things get comfortable again, I don't mind kicking in towards something for the greater good.
    It doesn't have to be money. You could put on an educational one-man sex show in the park for the children.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    I put criminals in jail. Does that count if I get paid for it?
    Yes.

A great org if you're looking to help out kids is by becoming a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA).

Quote Originally Posted by CASA
    CASA volunteers are appointed by judges to watch over and advocate for abused and neglected children, to make sure they don’t get lost in the overburdened legal and social service system or languish in inappropriate group or foster homes. Volunteers stay with each case until it is closed and the child is placed in a safe, permanent home. For many abused children, their CASA volunteer will be the one constant adult presence in their lives.

Independent research has demonstrated that children with a CASA volunteer are substantially less likely to spend time in long-term foster care and less likely to reenter care.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

6. Ba ba ba ba bumpin' threads.

So I've been thinking about doing volunteer work. Looked at filling out a SPCA application, but I really want to get into the anti-bullying movement. Does anyone know of a national/regional group that actively gets involved? I tried looking on the 'net to find more info on this stuff, but a lot of the info I'm finding is simple basic stuff aimed at parents/teachers.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

7. Look who is taking out the ads.

I'm pro-bullying. It makes one tough.

Last edited by Josh; 11 Mar 2013 at 03:43 PM.

btw, post #13 is why one should always attach their images.

10. You should have called 2011 and reminded him.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt