Page 90 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7686888990919294104 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

Anything wrong with the Cheaper Edition? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076G6YKWZ/

Or the Even Cheaper Edition? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014SKVQR8

I will be taking advantage of exactly zero features other than backup.
    Last edited by Josh; 23 Feb 2018 at 08:59 PM.

2. probably take longer to write backups, that's all

3. Order my parts to do a new build. Replacing a hand-me-down Sandy Bridge set up I've had for a little over two years. It actually held up remarkably well for 1080p/60Hz gaming, but it was pretty borderline for VR.

Keeping from the old system:
    GeForce 1060 6GB
    250GB SSD, 2TB HDD
    550 Watt PSU

New:
    Gigabyte Z370-based mobo
    16GB DDR4 3000 RAM (could always expand that later, but prices are inflated right now)
    i5 8600k -- Looking to OC this to about 4.5 or 4.6Ghz.

The 1060 is probably the limiting factor now, but with GPU prices what they are it doesn't make much sense to upgrade that right now. My real hope is just that the CPU will be future-proof enough to last through a few video card generations, the way Sandy Bridge was.

Also going to throw an old 770GTX into the old system and give it to my girlfriend. Should still be decent for pancake gaming.

4. So that SSD I kept turned out to be a dud. I was having stability problems for a day or so before I did my new build and they carried over to the new system. The drive scanned clean, but once I got it out of there, the computer went back to normal. Normalish, anyway, since copying an SSD to an HDD leaves you with a slow, fragmented mess.

Ordered a new-fangled NVMe drive, so hopefully that will be a nice step up.

5. Graphics card mining is winding down. I'm already seeing GTX 1080's under $500 on ebay, but who knows how toasted they are from mining. I have seen a few new ones though.

The next wave of Nvidia cards should be out by July. You could probably get a 1070Ti, or 1080 Ti on the cheap right after the new cards launch. I got my 1080 for $509, right after the Ti came out.

6. Yeah, something to think about in the fall perhaps. The 1060's certainly not bad for now. It's kind of low-end for VR, but the other upgrades have given me a little more overhead.

7. If I get this processor , what motherboard should I get? I'm upgrading the Dell out of my work pc. Will be pairing with the 16GB ram and 1070 it already has.

I never know what to look for in a motherboard.

8. I have that same CPU.

I got this board:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's expensive, and if you are dead set on that CPU, you are locked into a dead end upgrade path. That is currently the best mainstream gaming CPU you can buy though. Having said that, even I would tell you to maybe look at the Ryzen 7 2700X. It's a better productivity CPU (in many cases) and probably has more upgrade options (meaning, keep the motherboard you get with it on a better CPU) than this one.

I don't know what RAM you have now?
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 07 Jul 2018 at 02:47 PM.

9. Yeah, I agree with Joust. I'd recommend the R7 2700X, if your PC is mostly for work related tasks. The i7 is better for gaming, but you really wouldn't notice unless you were using a 240Hz monitor.

And for me, it's Asus or nothing with the motherboard. Their quality is the best in the industry.

Here's a good Asus board for the R7. And Asus' STRIX motherboard for more features.

And the R7 2700X can be had for $319.
    Last edited by gamevet; 07 Jul 2018 at 03:22 PM.

10. "Work" should probably be defined a little. Now that I'm doing gamedev and some light film editing etc I'm feeling the need to upgrade this guy.

I work in PS and various other drawing/animation programs, use cheapo video editing things to make youtube videos and gifs, and use Game Maker to make things.

This PC has DDR4 memory, 2133 MHz (16GB, two 8 gig sticks). It also has a 1070, so I'd like to stick with Intel again this time. At this point the CPU/mobo are my limitations.

Explain the limited upgrade path pls, and what "work-related" means to you guys.