Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Skyline Appreciation Thread

City Skyline Appreciation Thread

I have always been fascinated with the way cities look, and how they evolve their own identities. This thread is for posting pictures and discussing city skylines you like whether it's popular stuff like New York or London or overlooked ones. Here are some I'm a fan of (based on photos as I haven't been to most of them):

Shenzhen - I love the look of many of China's cities.

Shanghai - The future is now.

Reykjavik - Such a pleasant northern vibe.

Sydney - The iconic opera house.

Dubai - Scraping the sky in style.

Vancouver - I just felt like including my hometown.

Pittsburgh - Saw this great picture somewhere.

Prague

Moscow

*edit - I'm stupid. Please move to Sound Off.

01 - Final Fantasy 8
    02 - Kowloon's Gate
    03 - Grandia 3
    04 - Wangan Midnight
    05 - Mirror's Edge
    06 - PGR4
    07 - San Fransisco Rush
    08 - Vagrant Story
    09 - Tetris

Yeah, yeah, let me see if I can dig some stuff up.

Just to quickly get something up, here's something I took of Detroit in 2006.

Click for full size

I usually don't take skyline shots.

Respect where due - New York is probably the king. Endless stretches of everything from all relevant periods.

4. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Pittsburgh - Saw this great picture somewhere.
    I've driven over that bridge about a dozen times in my life. That picture is beautiful but every time I've been there in person I get more of a "ick" vibe from the area.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

5. Closest City I live by.

Atlantic City, NJ

Philadelphia, PA

Asheville, NC (Lived there for a year)

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

6. I don't have any pics right this second but I like the Philly skyline (having been used to it for so long). My favorite skyline is probably Tokyo but I have yet to see it in person. I also drive past Wilmington, DE on my way home from work and get a pretty good view of the city from I-495. Wilmington isn't huge but it's got a lot of semi-tall buildings that just seem to fit well next to each other. I really love skylines in general and would be thrilled if I could live in a place that had a good view of a city. I think they're especially awesome to look at during the night time when they're lit up.

Pretty awesome idea for a thread NeoZ. Glad to see you posting on the forums again.

Thanks.

Nice pics. I hadn't heard of Asheville before. I was about to say Advocate's pictures aren't working but they showed up when I logged in.

And dog$ wins the video game quiz.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    I've driven over that bridge about a dozen times in my life. That picture is beautiful but every time I've been there in person I get more of a "ick" vibe from the area.
    Pittsburg's definitely a dirty town, but the way the place looks is like nothing else. Even once you get away from the main city, the rolling hills of tightly-packed houses dotted with lavish church steeples every other block and riverbeds intersected by bridges criss-crossing at all different elevations at are really just goddamn interesting to admire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jan_2010_pittsburghskyline.com_02.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	71248  
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 04 Aug 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Hong Kong is king. Can't wait to go for the first time in a couple of weeks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hong_Kong_Skyline_Restitch_-_Dec_2007.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	1,009.7 KB 
ID:	71261

And from the Kowloon side:

Name:	hongkong-skyline-hd-wallpaper.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	472.0 KB 
ID:	71260

This skyline smokes any city I've been to.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375670118.396449.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	71262

I've a really good picture I took of Baltimore that ill post when I get home.