Thread: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

1. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Anyone care about this book/play?

My wife brought it home and we've been reading it to each other. It's like, someone took a fanfiction story and decided to make a play out of it. It's super fanfiction-y. It starts with the epilogue from the last book and it keeps on going down that path. Rowling's spent too much time on Pottermore.

It's only about 300 pages and there's a ton of white space, so it's not a long read. The characters speak in distinctive voices, but I think they just come of as one-dimensional. They're over-exaggerated caricatures of themselves. The most interesting part of it is I'm trying to imagine how a troupe could creatively translate the magic effects to a stage performance (there are over 80 scene changes in this thing). It's not a great story, but if you've already read the others and watched the movies - what the hell, go ahead and read/see this, too.
    Last edited by Dunlap; 11 Aug 2016 at 01:16 PM.

2. I'm waiting for a friend to finish it and hand it over. I'm sure seeing the play is way better than reading the rehearsal script.

3. Picked it up at the store, read two pages, sat it back down.

I've never been less interested in a book.

4. It's not written by JKR so that makes it "sound" really weird. Brings back a lot of characters and has what I think is an interesting overall story. There's some weird dialog here and there, but it mostly works. I want to see the play partly to see how they made it into an actual production. Like Dunlap said above there are a ton of scene changes and some of it is really elaborate.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    It's not written by JKR so that makes it "sound" really weird. Brings back a lot of characters and has what I think is an interesting overall story. There's some weird dialog here and there, but it mostly works. I want to see the play partly to see how they made it into an actual production. Like Dunlap said above there are a ton of scene changes and some of it is really elaborate.
    I saw a rendition of Taming of the Shrew that started out in a bar, went to a palace, went to a road travel scene, back to the palace, and back to the bar. The facade of the bar swung down into the floor of the stage and had the palace behind it, the sides of the stage swung in to make the road scenery, and the actors all just took care of it as they moved around the scenes. It was cray.