Thread: Router problems. XB1 ethernet related?

1. Router problems. XB1 ethernet related?

I've been having intermittent problems with my router/modem for several months, but it's become much more frequent in recent weeks.

The situation is always the same - the DHCP server in the router becomes unreachable, and one by one my devices start losing their network connection as the DHCP leases expire. A hardware reboot is the only way to get it working again. The only clue I have to go on is the system log, which contains a lot of this:

2017-06-14 21:46:52 INF LETH A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (1)
    2017-06-14 21:46:55 INF LETH An Ethernet port is now connected (1/1000/FULL)
    2017-06-14 21:47:04 INF LETH A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (1)
    2017-06-14 21:47:07 INF LETH An Ethernet port is now connected (1/1000/FULL)
    2017-06-14 21:47:10 INF LETH A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (1)
    2017-06-14 21:47:16 INF LETH An Ethernet port is now connected (1/10/FULL)
    2017-06-14 21:47:52 INF LETH A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (1)
    2017-06-14 21:47:58 INF LETH An Ethernet port is now connected (1/1000/FULL)
    2017-06-14 21:48:01 INF LETH A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (1)
    2017-06-14 21:48:13 INF LETH An Ethernet port is now connected (1/1000/FULL)
    2017-06-14 21:48:16 INF LETH A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (1)
    2017-06-14 21:48:22 INF LETH An Ethernet port is now connected (1/10/FULL)

The problem started at about the same time that I got an XB1, and one of the odd things in the log file is that whatever port I connect the XB1 to has these fits where the port repeatedly connects and disconnects several times a minute, sometimes for an hour at a time. It seems to be having trouble negotiating the speed of the connection, and I'm guessing that might be causing the DHCP server to lock up. I've tried different ports and different cables(all are made of the same cat5E cable and test ok with my field tester). I'm going to leave my console on Wi-Fi for now to see if that stops the problems, and if it does, I want to find out whats wrong with the hardwired connection.

My only working theories are that the ethernet connection on the XB1 is faulty, the cat5e cable is not good enough, or the router is just getting flaky. The console works fine most of the time, and I don't experience an unusual number of disconnects when actually playing games, although I have had some rough times with WoT which isn't exactly a red flag.

Anyway, if anyone has any insight to offer, it would be appreciated.

2. does giving your xbox a static address outside dhcp fix the problem?

3. I tried that at one point and it still didn't work. It's weird. The XB1 seems to be the source of the problem, but even after I disconnect it, the router needs a hard reboot in order to start working again, which makes me think the router has issues. I plan to leave it unhooked for at least a few days to see if it's stable on Wi-Fi, and if it is, I'll make a cat6 cable and try that.

4. yeah it could just be (and probably is) the bone

we have an old debit machine at work that sometimes does the same thing after a power outage

5. You can run 10-base-T on Cat.3. I highly doubt the cable is the issue.

I'd set a static IP on the Xbox, go into your router and set the port to DMZ (Netgear) or port forward. This will enable the port to not have traffic blocked by the router's firewall.

6. My suggestions mirror the others. You might be able to force the port speed in your router/XB1, set static IP. Check for latest firmware for your router. Isolate the XB1 from the network to verify it's causing the issue.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

7. It's been in the DMZ the entire time. Maybe it's getting attacked by bad actors.

8. Does your router have a list of IP addresses it has given out? How many IP addresses are reserved for the DHCP pool? You've probably already done this, but are there any open bugs or new firmware versions for your router?

9. The DHCP pool goes from .10 to .254, and the highest one given out is .26.
    I don't think I can update the firmware since it's the ISP's router/modem, and the firmware is proprietary.

I haven't had any issues since putting the XB1 on wi-fi, but the log shows it still connects and disconnects like crazy.
    Just for shits and kicks I'll take it out of the DMZ to see if it makes a difference.