Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4678910 ... LastLast

Thread: HD Retrovision cables currently in stock

Sweet, I just tried mine out yesterday. Works very well, although the connection between the adapter and the cable seems a bit flakey. Both the cable and adapter are extremely well made, and they fit fine both into the Saturn and each other, but the sync squiggles a bit if I touch the cable. It's probably just random though, it's fine since it's not like the cable is going to move while I'm playing the saturn. The Genny 1 and Neo adapters do not do this.

The image is outstanding. Although for the most part Saturn 3d is weaker than PS1, the Sega artists really knew how to make colors pop.

2. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Sweet, I just tried mine out yesterday. Works very well, although the connection between the adapter and the cable seems a bit flakey. Both the cable and adapter are extremely well made, and they fit fine both into the Saturn and each other, but the sync squiggles a bit if I touch the cable. It's probably just random though, it's fine since it's not like the cable is going to move while I'm playing the saturn. The Genny 1 and Neo adapters do not do this.

The image is outstanding. Although for the most part Saturn 3d is weaker than PS1, the Sega artists really knew how to make colors pop.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Capcom's 2D fighters with component, along with games like Pebble Beach Golf, that look kind of blurry on my HD CRT.

3. Wow, claims of the Genesis looking like a new system were not exaggerated. Thanks for the heads-up, mollie!

SNES looks...better. Not $50 better, but better.

If someone could make a cable capable of making DKC look good, it would be priceless.

The SNES already had pretty good composite and svideo built in, and not so great RGB so the jump is less noticable. The Genesis (and some Neo Geo models) on the other hand had particularly crappy composite video encoders but could output stellar RGB. Out of all the sytems I've used the Genesis had the biggest "HOLY SHIT" jump in quality when going to RGB/component.

6. When my buddy brought his cables over, we hooked the Saturn up to a Sony Playstation monitor. Popped Panzer Dragoon Zwei in and the radar looked ridiculous since it used dithering rather than true transparency. Was that because of added clarity or because it's an HD display?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    When my buddy brought his cables over, we hooked the Saturn up to a Sony Playstation monitor. Popped Panzer Dragoon Zwei in and the radar looked ridiculous since it used dithering rather than true transparency. Was that because of added clarity or because it's an HD display?
    If it's improper handling of transparencies or other stuff it usually looks like it's poorly interlaced, do to the tv thinking the 240p signal is really 480i. So when you get stuff like fake transparencies through a flickering image it usually just makes it look like poor de-interlacing. If I remember right I think the Saturn had some issues with transparencies, and the dithering effect was probably their way around it. I would imagine the extra sharpness and clarity are just making it noticeable. I think this transparency issue was one of the problems when SoTN was brought over to the Saturn and Konami didn't handle the porting of that well.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

It's probably a mixture of both. I just loaded it on mine and although you can see the lines since it's dithered and not really transparent, they are at least clean and uniform so the radar still works fine. The lines are only one pixel wide though, so it probably gets jacked up when being upscaled.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

9. Oh man, that means Shining Force III spells are going to look like huge Spiderman nets. I can't imagine Burning Rangers being flattered by improved clarity, either.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    When my buddy brought his cables over, we hooked the Saturn up to a Sony Playstation monitor. Popped Panzer Dragoon Zwei in and the radar looked ridiculous since it used dithering rather than true transparency. Was that because of added clarity or because it's an HD display?
    I noticed it before with the Saturn (using composite) on my HD CRT, but it's even more pronounced with the Genesis using the component cables.

Just look at these clouds and the shadows beneath the ship in Starflight. It looks like a checkerboard. It doesn't look like that when Sonic has a shield around him, it actually looks pretty good on Sonic.

Here it is on a Wega SD CRT with the component cable.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 16 Jul 2017 at 06:37 PM.