7 50.00%
  • Megadeath

3 21.43%
  • Slayer

3 21.43%
  • I'm a Fence Riding Pussy Who Can't Make Up My Mind

1 7.14%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Iron Maiden, Megadeath, or Slayer?

1. Like I said on FB, none. Slayer have a couple of stone cold classic records, but I never want to hear them again.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    You pretty much only listen to Ian & Sylvia, Peter Paul and Mary right?
    I just thought Serious Business Metal was really boring as a kid and never really felt like revisiting that opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Iron Maiden blows all of those other bands out of the water.
    And there we have it.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

Iron Maiden is awesome but almost too different to compare with the other two.

Megadeth is so much better than Slayer. Slayer sounds the same in almost every song. They don't have anywhere near the complexity or variety of Megadeth (although to be fair, it helps that Megadeth gets new band members every five minutes). I can see why Mustaine's vocals turn some people off but at least it's not just the same scream with no variation. When looking at whole discographies, I'm usually more impressed with bands that evolve.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 28 Aug 2017 at 05:51 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Iron Maiden is awesome but almost too different to compare with the other two.

Megadeth is so much better than Slayer. Slayer sounds the same in almost every song. They don't have anywhere near the complexity or variety of Megadeth (although to be fair, it helps that Megadeth gets new band members every five minutes). I can see why Mustaine's vocals turn some people off but at least it's not just the same scream with no variation. When looking at whole discographies, I'm usually more impressed with bands that evolve.
    Slayer sounds like a dude trying to push out a big one while on the toilet and singing at the same time. Yeah, they put out some impressive speed metal, but the sound is just grating on my ears. I would probably slip into a massive case of road rage if I was playing while behind the wheel.

I did not like Megadeth or Metallica back in the 80s, but their music grew on me and I actually like them quite a lot now. Slayer never had any appeal to me and never will.

6. Maiden all the way. So much so that I didn't even vote my normal answer.

And fuck you, whoever doesn't like Countdown. I love that album and every song on it and you can go right to hell.

7. We're all going to Hell. Metal is the work of the Devil!
    Last edited by gamevet; 29 Aug 2017 at 02:41 PM.

8. Nintendo GameCube

I'd rank 'em:

1A) Megadeth
    1B) Slayer

3) Iron Maiden

Musically, Iron Maiden and Slayer are mostly one trick ponies, but they're both masters at doing that one trick (Maiden gallops and sings high, Slayer is all -0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0s, skank beats, and screams).

Megadeth gets my vote for having the most musical diversity in their discography and the most adventurous song arrangements.

But Slayer's run from Show No Mercy to South of Heaven is better than Megadeth's start from Killing Is My Business... through Countdown to Extinction.

It's just that Slayer made almost no good songs after Divine Intervention, while post-Countdown... Megadeth still managed to make at least one or two memorable tracks even on their worst overall albums (Risk, Super Collider).

I do wish Slayer had made more slow songs like "South of Heaven" and "Seasons in the Abyss," because they were actually pretty damn good at it, at least, when Dave Lombardo was drumming for them and doing all those crazy fills in between the beats.

Last edited by jyoung; 01 Aug 2022 at 12:53 AM.