Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I possibly have disc rot, or a dying CD drive lens?

1. Do I possibly have disc rot, or a dying CD drive lens?

My Saturn has been acting weird lately. A couple of months ago, I was having trouble getting Daytona to load, as well as another game or 2. I cleaned the CD lens and the discs and everything seemed to be working fine again. Fast forward to this month and I started having problems getting Vampire Savior to load, and even Cyberbots was giving me fits. I cleaned the lens again, as well as the discs. I got Vampire Savior to boot up, but the game had a disc read error when loading the 4th match. Cyberbots loads fine now, as well as X-Men Vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes. I'm thinking about picking up a cheap copy of Vampire Savior that will ship out of Japan and arrive within 7-10 day, but am I possibly wasting my time and money on doing that. Is it possible that I'll need to turn up the juice on the CD lens, or that my disc as disc rot that I have not noticed?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 14 Oct 2017 at 08:50 PM.

If it's happening with several games, I would suspect the lens is more likely to be the problem.

3. How do you clean the discs? In over 20 years I've never found a way that doesn't scratch them in some way.
    Do you have a not asshole vintage game store near you? I test shit for people all the time. Just this morning I tested a nintendo 64 some asshat bought from gamestop.com and he couldn't get it to work on his tv. Sit down for this. I popped a Goldeneye that I just used to test some controllers and already cleaned into his system and turned it on. Game fired right up. He says, "Oh, I have to have a game in it when I turn it on?"
    Anyway, if you've no friends that have Saturns, see if a store will let you test your discs on a Saturn there if they have one. Don't be afraid to hint that you may be interested in buying a system from them if the discs work without issue and so its probably your system that is the problem. Of course feel free to not buy their system once you've tested your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    "Oh, I have to have a game in it when I turn it on?"
    asdfghjkl

5. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    How do you clean the discs? In over 20 years I've never found a way that doesn't scratch them in some way.
    Do you have a not asshole vintage game store near you? I test shit for people all the time. Just this morning I tested a nintendo 64 some asshat bought from gamestop.com and he couldn't get it to work on his tv. Sit down for this. I popped a Goldeneye that I just used to test some controllers and already cleaned into his system and turned it on. Game fired right up. He says, "Oh, I have to have a game in it when I turn it on?"
    Anyway, if you've no friends that have Saturns, see if a store will let you test your discs on a Saturn there if they have one. Don't be afraid to hint that you may be interested in buying a system from them if the discs work without issue and so its probably your system that is the problem. Of course feel free to not buy their system once you've tested your stuff.
    I use an ultra soft cloth made for cleaning LCD screens, along with this kit. The original black PlayStation discs will get a cloudy film on them, even though I have them stored in a CD holder inside of a closet. I usually have to clean those every couple of years.

There aren't a lot of game stores around here that I've seen Saturns on display. And the ones I've seen have been beat to shit, or covered in dust around the vents and cracks. Everyone I know around me plays the most modern consoles, or nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    If it's happening with several games, I would suspect the lens is more likely to be the problem.
    I'm thinking that might be what it is, but I'll have to run more thorough tests of all my Saturn games to see if it is an isolated incident, or if several different games have similar issues. I may just have to crack it open and turn up the pot a hair.

I've been checking out CD lenses for the Saturn on Ebay. My Saturn is the launch model (MK-80000), and most of the lenses I've seen are for the later models.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 14 Oct 2017 at 09:23 PM.

You could also try running them in an emulator. I have some heavily scratched Sega CD games that work fine through my PC drive but my Sega CD has trouble with them.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    asdfghjkl
    This is how old we are.

9. While I don't have any experience with Saturn lasers from eBay, my experience with Dreamcast, PS2, and Wii lasers tells me you'd have a more satisfying experience taking the cash a laser would cost and setting it on fire.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    While I don't have any experience with Saturn lasers from eBay, my experience with Dreamcast, PS2, and Wii lasers tells me you'd have a more satisfying experience taking the cash a laser would cost and setting it on fire.
    I've resurrected a dead PS3 that I gave $20 to a friend for, by replacing the dead Blu-Ray drive with one I'd bought off of ebay.