Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do I possibly have disc rot, or a dying CD drive lens?

1. I think the biggest problem going between models is the size and shape of the ribbon cable.

2. You are right, the PSOne laser supposed to work.

I've never tried a PSOne but I've used laser assemblies from other PS1 models and revived a launch unit. It was just a matter of swapping a couple of parts between the assemblies.

4. Success! I transplanted the laser assembly from a PSOne and it is working perfectly.

5. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Things are getting pretty hot and heavy in here.
    Fuck off, this is hilarious in context.

6. Well, my PS2 decided to do the same thing. This time, I could hear the disc struggling to spin. I decided to crack open my gold old Gran Turismo 3 bundled PS2, to have a look at the DVD drive. Everything looked good, so I took a cotton ball, applied white grease to the laser rails and closed it back up. Works like a champ.

Excellent. CD/DVD drives really need to be greased every few years but it doesn't seem to really be a common practice. It seems in 2018 the retro nerds are quick to recap everything but something much simpler like a regreasing doesn't get done.

8. I have a Model 1 Genesis that might need recapping, or a memory IC went out.

9. My solution for a finicky disc drive on PS2 is a FreeMcBoot card, a sata modded network adapter and a 1tb sata hard drive.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.