Thread: Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900/Netgear Genie Setup Help

1. Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900/Netgear Genie Setup Help

I just upgraded from an Apple Airport Extreme to the Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 on sale this week, and am loving the power and ability to make adjustments in setup. However, it has been a while since I have been able to tweek and make adjustments under the router settings, so I am not super confident on the best settings for gaming.

I sort of know what I am doing and have been looking up how to best setup, but a lot of what I am finding is on an older firmware as nothing looks exactly like what I am seeing. While signal strength and DL/UL speeds seem great, I have run into a few hiccups that may or may not be coincidence. My major questions are:

1) Do I need to turn on QoS? When my connection itself is functioning normally, my download speed is ~300 Mb/s and upload is ~30 Mb/s.

2) What's the best way to turn on IPv6 under router settings? I thought I had it right, but both of my Xbox's will sometimes show IPv4 & IPv6, but then other times will just show IPv4 and I have no idea why it would sometimes show IPv6 . Does IPv6 even matter for gaming?

I've been toying around with it, and it seems to be working very well, though when both Xbox's are playing GTA Online, they either one or both of the consoles will get dropped, though that could just be GTA Online and nothing to do with the router. Thanks for any help or tips for anyone that has experience with this router or the Netgear settings in general.

When is your airport from? Wanna sell it?

3. I got it back in 2013 I think. I can check the serial number/model number when I get home and find out exactly which one it is.

4. QoS isn’t normally an issue unless you’re maxing out your pipe. You can set it up if you think other users on your network are causing you to spike in lag during multiplayer games, but that’s all it’s intended for, setting priority for time-sensitive data over file transfer.
    Outright dropping connections would be something else, but I’m not really sure what.
    I haven’t used IPv6 yet, but I am not aware of a particular benefit. I think it might help with some NAT configurations because you don’t really need NAT, but I don’t know when you’d use it.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

5. What are your ping times with that setup?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    When is your airport from? Wanna sell it?
    Looks like it is the 6th generation (802.11a/b/g/n/ac). I'd be willing to part with it if you wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    What are your ping times with that setup?
    Ookla speed test on my iMac is usally 10-20 ms, and then the xbox's are getting a latency of ~50 ms or less. My hard wired xbox is getting a DL of ~350 Mb/s and a UL of ~30 Mb/s, my xbox over wifi gets a DL of ~250 Mb/s and a UL of ~30 Mb/s, and then the 4K Apple TV is also getting the same DL of ~350 Mb/s a UL of ~30 Mb/s as the hard wired xbox. What's strange is with this new setup, my iMac is only getting a DL of ~150 Mb/s and a UL of ~30 Mb/s and my iPhone is only getting a DL of ~50 Mb/s. It's not a major issue as they don't need the supper fast DL speed, but when I was using the Apple Airport Extreme. Every single device was show a DL speed of ~ 250-300 Mb/s.

I have also noticed a bit of lag every so often when playing over wifi, though this is the first time I've played with the xbox online over wifi in a long time, so maybe that's just part of the experience. This new router is way bigger than the Aiport Extreme, and I don't think I could swing having it setup where the X is.

7. Speed isn't the most important part for online gaming. You only need a couple of Mbps for that. The pings need to be under 50 ms, because you'll have lag with anything higher.

How much are you looking to get? I want that TNL price, son.

9. you 100% don't need ipv6 enabled (yet) and I am pretty sure most gaming services don't support it anyway, so feel free to shut that off and save some cpu cycles on your router

10. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    How much are you looking to get? I want that TNL price, son.
    I’ll give it to you for $100.