Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XVI

1. Final Fantasy XVI

You guys, it's the best Final Fantasy since X. I can't believe modern Square actually made this.

By the time you get to this games version of "leaving Midgar" and the opening up begins, it'll be the most Final Fantasy a game has felt in 20 years. Play this game.

2. That’s good to hear. I never got around to downloading the demo.

It looks pretty amazing!

Last edited by gamevet; 23 Jun 2023 at 11:55 PM.

3. I'm not a big FF guy, but I enjoyed the demo so I decided to pick it up. It's definitely holding my interest, which is saying something these days.

The world does feel like a grown up version of the more serious medieval fantasy tones of FF2 or FF4, with a thin veneer of Game of Thrones on top. The Kaiju stuff maybe undermines some of the more serious elements, but overall I'm pretty impressed.

4. Super thrilled to run into a regular good ol moogle again .
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

5. I finished yesterday doing every side quest available before NG and every hunt.

I do miss me some turns based Final Fantasy and some of the levity the older games had, but there's no doubt this is better than XIII and XV by a mile and the best story they've ever put together. I hope this is the start of new generation with variety of story and settings, because this same quality and general play style in an FFVII or FFVIII type world would be wonderful.

6. I’m just glad it’s set in Medieval fantasy again. It kinda is babies first Devil May Cry now but it’s fun. Who doesn’t love some AAA crazy Japanese spectacle!

7. I liked the demo a lot but the game became excruciatingly boring for me about halfway through. The combat was just WAY too easy, AI way too dumb. Kept spamming the same routine of abilities over and over because why not? There was no reason for me to mix it up. Some of the boss battles were fun in the first half of the game but they too felt very samey by the end. I never once had to go out of my way for an upgraded piece of anything, and half of the main story missions felt like sidequest filler, so I actively avoided almost all optional content. (Too bad since apparently some of it towards the end is worthwhile.)

I had high hopes from the demo but it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Goddamn gorgeous environments though, and surprisingly good voice acting. (The actual writing and characters and scenarios, though... eh.)

I did finish it!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Toupee View Post
    I liked the demo a lot but the game became excruciatingly boring for me about halfway through. The combat was just WAY too easy, AI way too dumb. Kept spamming the same routine of abilities over and over because why not? There was no reason for me to mix it up. Some of the boss battles were fun in the first half of the game but they too felt very samey by the end. I never once had to go out of my way for an upgraded piece of anything, and half of the main story missions felt like sidequest filler, so I actively avoided almost all optional content. (Too bad since apparently some of it towards the end is worthwhile.)

I had high hopes from the demo but it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Goddamn gorgeous environments though, and surprisingly good voice acting. (The actual writing and characters and scenarios, though... eh.)

I did finish it!
    My exact experience with it. I liked it enough to finish it, but people calling it the best FF ever are outta their damn minds.
    I did do all the side quests in the game I did like them more than I was led to believe on the internet.

9. I think it's the best story they've ever done. It's well acted, has strong characters who are believable, and builds a fantasy world much better than other games in the series have. 2 hours in you understand the general way the magic and dominants work, and you spend the rest of the main story answering questions at a gratifying pace.

The rest though? I think it's missing whimsy, fun side content and a lot of the charm that older FF's have. The FFVII Rebirth trailer that just dropped looks like what I want the next mainline FF to be.

10. Agree, whimsy is a great word to describe something it was definitely lacking.

For me, the pacing (mainly in the back half) turned what might have been a B+ story into a C+. Then some questionable decisions like killing off some of the more interesting characters (or TBH bringing others back, heh) sort of ruined any remaining emotional stakes for me.

I know I'm probably in the minority of wanting shorter RPGs, and there's plenty of longer ones out there than this one, but I can't help that feel this would be such a tighter and more fun and engaging game if it was like 60% as long as it is.
    Last edited by Toupee; 24 Sep 2023 at 02:50 AM.