Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablet w/ Stylus Recommendations

1. Tablet w/ Stylus Recommendations

I'm reading for PhD qualifying exams this summer, which means getting pdfs of expensive books from legal-adjacent and maybe insalubrious websites. I got a little freaked out when pdfexaminer found potential malware on a pdf I had been reading on my laptop, so now I'm looking for a beater tablet to use for this kind of thing.

Image quality: Doesn't really matter. The only thing I'd use it for aside from reading blurry book scans is occasionally streaming a basketball game or movie, and even then I'd probably cast it to a TV. So it would have to be at least new enough to be able to use a cast anywhere app smoothly.

Screen size: iPad mini size (8"x 5") would probably be best. Nothing bigger than an iPad since I'll be holding it for hours at a time. It would have to be a tablet rather than something like a Yoga for this reason, too. Comfort > Quality here.

Stylus compatibility: 100% must-have. Gotta be able write on those pdfs.

Expandable memory: A huge plus, but not a necessity.

Price: Hoping I can find something that fits the bill for no more than $200. Used and refurbs are on the table.

What I'm really hoping is that someone here has something that fits this bill just sitting around collecting dust!

2. You might be able to get an older Surface tablet for cheap.

3. I have a bluetooth Wacom stylus that works with my older iPad, fantastic for drawing with Procreate. I imagine it's compatible with PDFs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

You may do fine with a $50 Fire 8?
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

5. My only worry there is that a capacitive stylus might be too big and imprecise for underlining, marginal notes, etc.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Maybe! My only concern is that it's a little big and heavy. My Surface 2 RT definitely taxed my fragile grampa wrists when using it as an e-reader.

7. go fuck yourself then.

(I'm kidding BK)

8. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    My only worry there is that a capacitive stylus might be too big and imprecise for underlining, marginal notes, etc.
    I use a Jot Pro for drawing on my phone, and it's good enough. It would be better on a larger screen.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    big and heavy.
    Get up in dat ass like a wedgie?
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...