Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starfield

1. Starfield

This game will be available on Game Pass at launch. I'm looking forward to playing this game. It kind of reminds me of Mass Effect: Andromeda. Some people hated the direction (me too characters) that game took the series, but I had a lot of fun playing it.

Anyone else looking forward to this? Are you going to be playing this on Xbox or PC?

2. I’ll play it on Xbox. (Gamepass). My expectations are kinda low though. I think it’s too ambitious for Bethesda and will probably end up lifeless. The 1000 planets is a turn off too. Procedural Generated anything is a turn off.

3. No Man's Sky (and hell, even Elite) showed that procedural content can be interesting if you put the work in, and doubly so here where there will still be a golden path of crafted content anchoring the main storyline. I'm not sure that you're going to want to go to every planet, and I don't think that's the point, it's about the underlying systems, and always giving the player options. Obviously not every planet is going to be "interesting," but if the gameplay is interesting, then you'll have reasons to explore.

I'm impressed with what they've shown, especially comparing it to last year's presentation and seeing how much it's improved and been polished up. It seems like they're really serious about making this game everything it can and should be.

4. The actual gameplay looks good. Looks a bit like Halo. Which is a good thing. I’m hoping it’s fun. My problem with the Fallout games was the combat always felt somewhat janky.

5. Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    The actual gameplay looks good. Looks a bit like Halo. Which is a good thing. I’m hoping it’s fun. My problem with the Fallout games was the combat always felt somewhat janky.
    The 2022 presentation looked like the combat and AI looked just serviceable but not great. This year it looks way better, with the big low grav jumps and air dashing, almost gave me some GunValkyrie feels.

6. Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    I’ll play it on Xbox. (Gamepass). My expectations are kinda low though. I think it’s too ambitious for Bethesda and will probably end up lifeless. The 1000 planets is a turn off too. Procedural Generated anything is a turn off.
    I have mixed feelings and it will all depend on how it's actually implemented.

I'm fine with any areas which are meant to be just farmed for resources or experience being randomly generated, means you'll never get familiar and thus bored with an area at all. When I was just getting materials over and over in one area Skyrim or Fallout 4, it does numb you to the areas you're in eventually. But if the randomly generated areas just end up feeling empty, and if the randomly generated areas are meant to hold meaningful quest activities, it might be bad.

I'm obviously going to play it a lot, but I'm a lot less certain about this one than I have been previous games of theirs since Fallout 4 was a step backwards in many ways and this being a new IP and all.

7. I’m hoping that the main missions are on actual designed planets and all the other planets are the generated rando missions. If that makes any sense.

8. Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    I’m hoping that the main missions are on actual designed planets and all the other planets are the generated rando missions. If that makes any sense.
    It seems like all the planets are a mix of procedural and crafted content, or that they have crafted content procedurally sprinkled throughout.

9. I've kept Starfield out of sight and out of mind basically this whole time and now I think I'm getting excited for it.

10. I've also done a full media blackout, which I tend to do with any game I already know I'll play day 1.

I'm pretty stoked for it now. I haven't had a bad experience with a Bethesda mainline Fallout or Elderscrolls fucking ever, and even if this is just Fallout 4 quality, I'll enjoy the shit out of it.