Page 78 of 83 FirstFirst ... 6474767778798082 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 821

Thread: The Biden Presidency

  1. Projection. It's not just for movie theaters.

    That's your new tag line.

  2. Chicken

    Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I think that's your issue. You only see one reason to carry a gun. Being able to defend yourself should you unfortunately need it, just isn't a concept you understand.
    This 100% right here dammit.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

  3. Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Projection. It's not just for movie theaters.

    That's your new tag line.
    You literally just admitted that you have a gun for exactly the reason I said you did. And I don't have one because I know I'm incredibly unlikely to ever be in a situation where shooting someone is the best option and I don't particularly want to kill anyone.

    Care to tell me how that could be framed as projection? Projection is where you put your own feelings onto someone else.

    Also, can you tell me about how many times you have had to shoot someone in self defense with your gun?

    Because it kind of sounds like I'm exactly on the money, you have never had to use it, you probably never will, but having it makes you "feel better" because this fear or fantasy is something you waste mindshare on. More charitably phrased, guns offer people the feeling that they would be in control during chaotic situations where they really aren't.

    I really don't want to debate guns with you. The fact is carrying around a gun in public to "defend yourself" means you are thinking about shooting people "if need be." There's really no way to argue that isn't the case and you haven't managed to, so I don't know why we're wasting energy on it. Do you really believe the thought of using that gun to shoot people never entered Rittenhouse's head when he picked up that gun?
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 28 Nov 2021 at 10:06 AM.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    That's my point. People have guns primarily for killing people. He didn't bring the gun with him for any reason other that the fact that he had imagined himself killing people.
    If you think that this isn't projection then you really don't have a clue.

    I have a hammer. I don't fantasize about hitting nails because I have a hammer. I have a knife that I use for Thanksgiving. I don't fantasize about killing turkeys. I don't have a gun, but, if I did, I wouldn't have one because I jizz myself thinking about killing people. I've had guns in the past but having it doesn't mean I'm fantasizing about anything. It's a tool to protect my family should the case arise.

  5. The concept of owning a Firearm as Self-defense & deterrent in case of you getting hurt by people might happen as it did to Kyle is something you seem to be intentionally avoiding. The courts found him not guilty on all charges. I know it's hard to accept but self-defense is a basic human right.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

  6. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    I have a hammer. I don't fantasize about hitting nails because I have a hammer.
    Hammering nails is not "fantastic" in the sense that it's a pretty ordinary scenario, but when you buy a hammer it is certainly because you are thinking about hammering some nails, right?

    I have a knife that I use for Thanksgiving. I don't fantasize about killing turkeys.
    When you shop for a carving knife you don't imagine how that knife will do at carving a turkey? You just buy it for no reason and then when a turkey needs carving you look around for an appropriate object?

    I don't have a gun, but, if I did, I wouldn't have one because I jizz myself thinking about killing people.
    Again, it doesn't have to be a masturbation fantasy to be a thought in your head. The fact is you don't bring a gun with you if you aren't ready to use it, and you aren't read to use it if you haven't played that scenario out in your head.

    You're implying this sexual dimension to this to deflect from the rather obvious point. It's a "fantasy" in the sense that it's incredibly unlikely to happen, and reflects something we see more in TV and film than in real life, where successful self defense by firearm is quite rare. It's a power fantasy not a sexual fantasy.

    And that feeling of empowerment also leads to people being way more likely to get into conflicts BECAUSE they own a gun, which is what happened with Rittenhouse. He would have been too chicken shit to go there without a gun, but IF HE DID he would have been way safer and no one would have attacked him. Which is why people who don't own a gun are statistically way safer than those that do.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 28 Nov 2021 at 11:05 AM.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    The concept of owning a Firearm as Self-defense & deterrent in case of you getting hurt by people might happen as it did to Kyle is something you seem to be intentionally avoiding. The courts found him not guilty on all charges. I know it's hard to accept but self-defense is a basic human right.
    Kyle didn't need a gun to defend himself. He didn't need to be there at all, and if he wasn't walking around with his hands on a firearm, the entire thing never would have happened. It wasn't a deterrent to violence it was the thing that provoked both the initial attack and the people chasing him to disarm him.

    Kyle Rittenhouse is the worst possible argument for why someone would have "needed" a gun. He obviously would have been far better off without it because the entire conflict revolved around his having a gun and "being afraid someone would take it."

    Common sense and street smarts are way better tools for staying safe and protecting yourself from harm. If Kyle picked up some of that instead of a gun we wouldn't need to have this conversation.

    Like I said to haoh, if he didn't have a gun he wouldn't have even inserted himself into that situation because he would have been too scared. But if he did show up there with no gun, Rosenbaum (who was yelling at other people to shoot him all night) wouldn't have charged Rittenhouse and no one would have been chasing him and trying to disarm him. His strategy for self defense backfired at every turn. He fucked up and people are dead.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 28 Nov 2021 at 11:10 AM.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Kyle didn't need a gun to defend himself.
    So he was just supposed to let the guy who was carrying a gun shoot him and the other dude with the Skateboard bust his head open. Explain to me how one guy was going to defend himself from three people.

    He didn't need to be there at all.
    And the people and rioters who were there had no business being there either. I mean are you saying that it was ok for the city to burn while Kyle was trying to help people?
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

  9. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    So he was just supposed to let the guy who was carrying a gun shoot him and the other dude with the Skateboard bust his head open. Explain to me how one guy was going to defend himself from three people.
    Did you literally just not read my post past the first sentence? Those people attacked him BECAUSE HE HAD A GUN.

    If Kyle didn't have a gun, A) he never would have been emboldened to insert himself in that situation in the first place and B) he wouldn't have been attacked if he had.

    He made his own problem and then used deadly force to solve it. That's not smart, and that's not even good self defense.

    And the people and rioters who were there had no business being there either?
    That's a broad brush. The first guy he shot wasn't even a protester he was just a crazy guy who went there to pick up his meds. The third guy he shot was a trained medic and ACLU observer. The fact that there were rioters present does not in any way justify or cancel out the series of bad decisions this kid made.

    But of course he wasn't the only one making bad decisions that night. But leave that shit to the police. Playing cowboy is the dumbest thing you could do.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 28 Nov 2021 at 04:43 PM.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Did you literally just not read my post past the first sentence? Those people attacked him BECAUSE HE HAD A GUN.

    If Kyle didn't have a gun, A) he never would have been emboldened to insert himself in that situation in the first place and B) he wouldn't have been attacked if he had.

    He made his own problem and then used deadly force to solve it. That's not smart, and that's not even good self defense.
    1.) 100% speculation
    2.) If people really attacked him, as you say, "BECAUSE HE HAD A GUN", then those people are FUCKING STUPID
    3.) You're talking about "broad brush"es and yet you have no problem with sweeping generalizations, pretending to know what Rittenhouse was thinking and "fantasizing" about, apparently believe that self defense isn't a right, and believe that guns are solely for people hoping for death and becoming an "active shooter". You can dispute or have issues with gun laws all you want but the entire problem with your argument is that Rittenhouse wasn't operating outslde existing laws. When somebody says they are going to "kill that motherfucker" and grabs your gun/attacks you then you have the right to defend yourself. If someone pulls a gun on you, then you have the right to defend yourself. If someone stomps your head and hits you in the head with a skateboard, you have the right to defend yourself. So, no, SO fucking sick of the apologies for people that instigated the shit to begin with. If Rittenhouse this or Rittenhouse that - how about if the three idiots just left him alone and let him do his first aid and fire extinguisher crap? How about THAT?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Games.com logo