Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peace Out :)

1. Peace Out :)

Guys - it's been a great run but this place is deader than dead and probably time to pull the plug. Don't want any long goodbyes or any nonsense like that but it's been a helluva run over two decades. The remnants of GameGo! augmenting an already existing board created a lot of great conversations over the years. It's too bad that divergent opinions became intolerable and people leaving over time due to that and a lot of great "internet" friendships just cut off over political viewpoints. Really wish that hadn't happened.

In any event, I won't be posting anymore but I wish all of you the best for those that remain. It's been outstanding knowing you for all of these years.

Peace.

TK

2. It is what it is. I just poke my head in every once in a while and try to post something when I do.

3. Yeah I keep this in my pinned bookmarks for new Firefox tabs and click in randomly because of it, but we're obviously living in a ghost town now.

Still nice seeing new posts pop up whenever they do.

4. I thought we just kind of drifted in different directions due to starting families, following family and neighbors to other social media platforms, and just generally maturing into different priorities. I loved the GameGO forums, but they were the only community that I really wanted to participate in so actively. Then most of the GameGO people came here due to the unforeseen circumstances, and I somehow ended up taking over because bahn couldn't keep running the new TNL. Truthfully, my heart was never in it - and even more truthfully, it took me away from some really infinitely more important things I should have been attending to.

Was it really politics? I was kind of shocked when I first heard it. I think it's more just life being lived and the owner not taking more of an interest in sustaining and growing the community.

But - and here's more truth - I don't think anyone would have done a much better job. Some truly awful, trendy, empty, ill-informed, ill-conceived, and shortsighted ideas were run by me, and I don't think TNL would have done much more than waste a lot of people's time on pipe dreams if those ideas had been implemented.

I intend on keeping this place funded for at least some years to come, because I like the old threads being there and I like many of you and would gladly welcome you to my table as friends and brothers.

Do what I do: keep the bookmark, enjoy the amazing memories, use it as a reference for a great time of life, and post if you see something worth saying.

5. I think Politics was a scapegoat for some people who wanted to argue, wanted to justify not coming here anymore, etc.

Like the nuance some people refused to use when talking about certain aspects of the pandemic couldn't have been on accident. Someone got railed for buying something at a store instead of not going, but like, if people stop buying things the store goes under. How is that better for the stores employees? It was just people finding things to fight about, because they wanted to fight.

6. For a second I thought haoh's post about it being time to "pull the plug" was an announcement that the site was going bye-bye and not just "oh hai I'm leaving." Glad Nick is actually keeping it around for a while more, because it's still fun to pop in once in a while to revisit classic threads and get a laugh.

That being said, Nick, I'm sure you have zero desire to sink any more time or money into this place than you already do, but is there any quick and easy way to fix the search feature so it's easier (or possible) to find said classic threads? I'm assuming 100% no, but I can ask.

I've enjoyed this site over the years and it's a bummer it's a shell of its former self, but there have been many fun threads and getting to meet some of you assholes in-person was great, especially at the epic TNL NYC get-togethers, which remain some of my fondest memories. Good times.

But, as Nick said, people age and grow and go in different directions. That, and the mindless world of social media is easer, so that's clearly drawn people away as well. On forums you have to work a little harder and people can't be bothered. I can't attest to politics driving people away, as I usually steered clear of those discussions, but the politics thread really did get heated on the occasions I would check it out.

Also, I've never understood "goodbye" threads unless you're mad and literally telling the board to fuck off. Think of all the other shit you waste your time doing and there's suddenly zero chance you'll never, ever look at this site again, to the point that you have to draw a line in the sand and post about it? Oh, well.

Thanks for the memories, Nick.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 12 Dec 2023 at 07:12 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

7. I think we have all just moved on and it's been in a death loop for some time now.

Good times, though.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I think Politics was a scapegoat for some people who wanted to argue, wanted to justify not coming here anymore, etc.

Like the nuance some people refused to use when talking about certain aspects of the pandemic couldn't have been on accident. Someone got railed for buying something at a store instead of not going, but like, if people stop buying things the store goes under. How is that better for the stores employees? It was just people finding things to fight about, because they wanted to fight.
    I bought a graphics card from MicroCenter during the lockdown. I was working in the field at multiple retail locations throughout the week, so one more stop wasn't a big deal. My job was part of the essential work force, when everyone else was locked in at home. It was a sad attempt at trying to belittle me. Stupid BS to me and they came off looking like assholes.

9. As far as the search functionality goes: I do intend on updating the forums and fixing the search - I hope in the next couple of months, after the new year.

I wonder if it makes sense for some of you to subscribe to this thread and some other threads, and/or maybe subscribe to Gaming Discussion and Sound Off? That way you can get e-mail updates when something posts that you might be interested in. That's an option. I think you can set it up to send one e-mail per week with updates and links, but I haven't looked at it in years.

Finally, let me say this: I love 1980s horror movies. I might go for a stretch without watching one, but they hold so many magic memories that I never want to be in a situation where I can't find them somewhere. I don't ever foresee a time when I say, "Well, that's it. This is over. I've seen all of these and I hereby declare I will throw out my Blu-rays and I will never watch another 80s horror movie again!"

It doesn't make sense. If something captivated you for decades - especially during the years when you were figuring it all out and having fun before worrying about mortgages and mortality - why cast it aside? This is one area of modern life that doesn't have to be disposable.

There's a lot of great content here. Like Friday the 13th and Sleepaway Camp and all the other classic 80s movies, it may not be something I turn to on a daily basis, but I want to know it's there and I want to go relive it to a certain extent. These discussions are far more fleshed out and substantive than the Like-fodder on other sites.

"Peace out"? Nah. You have a place here and I'm keeping the doors open.

(By the way, this post reminded me of The 80s Project. Has anyone else been watching it?)

10. I haven’t seen that. I did watch a series on Netflix called The Movies That Made Us. One episode was about the making of Friday the 13th.

Did you receive my messages about Bonuskun and another member asking about their log-ins?