Page 53 of 90 FirstFirst ... 394951525354555767 ... LastLast

Thread: The Biden Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Kids should be wearing masks, especially in school. There's an explosion of pediatric COVID cases because schools aren't requiring kids to wear them. No vaccine, no masks. It's not going to end unless we make it. A risk in life is one thing. Reckless endangerment of kids is something else.
    Again - why? The death rate is MUCH lower among children than the flu and the flu didn't require everyone to wear masks.

"Among states reporting, children were 0.00%-0.27% of all COVID-19 deaths, and 7 states reported zero child deaths
    ​In states reporting, 0.00%-0.03 of all child COVID-19 cases resulted in death (https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-no...l-data-report/)

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    What effects are worse than the virus itself? Not being snarky. It's a genuine question. I haven't heard of that being a problem, but it would be interesting to know how they're dealing with it if it is."
    Since the virus has little effect on children I'd argue that pretty much all of them. Communication, speech, special needs, social, depression, suicide, etc... But, I'd further argue that studying the effects of all of these things, and more, simply aren't being pursued so we simply don't know, either.

That's not the point though. The point is that all the people outraged by mandatory COVID vaccinations have ZERO complaints about all the others. Why? Isn't mandating government overreach/tyranny/whatever? Why is only the COVID mandate "unconstitutional?"
    Come on, this is far no, FAR more of an overreach than measles requirements for public schools. Federal jobs, 100+ employers, vaccination cards to fly, etc... The point is personal health choices should remain up to the person and the reason(s) they choose not to be vaccinated should be their own or in conjunction with a health practitioner. That's the point.

I'm not saying people who aren't vaccinated shouldn't be treated, but do you think it's fair that people with heart attacks or other emergencies have to wait or are even denied treatment because emergency rooms and ICUs' are clogged with unvaccinated people? Idiots taking horse de-wormer taking much-needed beds? People don't want to wear masks, social distance, stay at home (the economy!), or get vaccinated yet they want everything to go back to normal. How is that a logical expectation?
    Fair is an odd way to put it. Are you going to be judge and jury for each of those people who chose not to get vaccinated and determine if their reason(s) were valid? Why isn't Biden mobilizing military hospitals like Trump did if the situation is that bad?

Had we done all the things we needed to, we could have been out of this months ago.
    Covid is spiking around the world and is higher than it's ever been in many countries no matter their measures to fight it. Quite probably, we'll never be "out of this".

2. And, Melf, another thing to consider is the 40+ million people that have already had it and are naturally immune to a level that exceeds even the vaccinated. I mean, something here just isn't adding up - 330ish million people, 381+ million vaccination shots, 179 million fully vaccinated, 44 million have had the virus and beat it, and here we are with levels of infections not seen in eight months and nearing that peak.

Are we going to issue cards to people with natural immunity along with vaccine cards to people that are fully vaccinated?

3. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    Again - why? The death rate is MUCH lower among children than the flu and the flu didn't require everyone to wear masks.

"Among states reporting, children were 0.00%-0.27% of all COVID-19 deaths, and 7 states reported zero child deaths
    ​In states reporting, 0.00%-0.03 of all child COVID-19 cases resulted in death (https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-no...l-data-report/)
    You're ignoring what the possible long-term effects this virus could have on kids.

From that same link you posted:

As of September 9, nearly 5.3 million children have tested positive for COVID-19 since the onset of the pandemic. Over 243,000 cases were added the past week, the second highest number of child cases in a week since the pandemic began. After declining in early summer, child cases have increased exponentially, with nearly 500,000 cases in the past 2 weeks.

The age distribution of reported COVID-19 cases was provided on the health department websites of 49 states, New York City, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Guam. Since the pandemic began, children represented 15.5% of total cumulated cases. For the week ending September 9, children were 28.9% of reported weekly COVID-19 cases (children, under age 18, make up 22.2% of the US population).
    We have no idea what the effects could be long-term, and the school year is just starting.

Since the virus has little effect on children I'd argue that pretty much all of them. Communication, speech, special needs, social, depression, suicide, etc... But, I'd further argue that studying the effects of all of these things, and more, simply aren't being pursued so we simply don't know, either.
    Agreed that they have to be studied, but like I said, we also don't know the long-term effects. I don't think it's wise to assume that the virus has little or no effect at this stage. We might not know the effects for some time.

Come on, this is far no, FAR more of an overreach than measles requirements for public schools. Federal jobs, 100+ employers, vaccination cards to fly, etc... The point is personal health choices should remain up to the person and the reason(s) they choose not to be vaccinated should be their own or in conjunction with a health practitioner. That's the point.
    Personal health choices can't only be up to the person when those choices can affect others, and freedom of choice doesn't mean freedom from consequences. Your freedom ends where mine begins. Why should I and my family be put at risk because someone simply doesn't care enough to take precautions during a pandemic? And the complaints against the mandate aren't about the level of contagiousness. These people are arguing that the mandate is unconstitutional. Why this one and not all the others? The government forcing you to get 12 vaccinations for school is perfectly fine, but one more is overreach? Also, why aren't the defenders of personal choice defending the choice of businesses, like airlines, to require vaccination? Don't those businesses have a choice?

Fair is an odd way to put it. Are you going to be judge and jury for each of those people who chose not to get vaccinated and determine if their reason(s) were valid? Why isn't Biden mobilizing military hospitals like Trump did if the situation is that bad?
    I'm not going to be judge and jury, doctors are when they have to decide who gets treated and who doesn't. There should be military hospitals, and I don't know why Biden hasn't done it. I know that some governors won't.

Covid is spiking around the world and is higher than it's ever been in many countries no matter their measures to fight it. Quite probably, we'll never be "out of this".
    We won't. The lack of seriousness so many people have taken with this virus has allowed it to mutate, and it will continue to do so.

I haven't seen anything that indicates that having COVID makes you permanently immune. I have seen cases of people who had it and got infected again.

4. 3 people in my house 17 and under had it 3 weeks ago. Shit was like a mild flu. We all quarantined for 2 weeks. We wear masks.

Hospitals should help the sick, no matter the background. Do fat people get turned away? Smokers? Alcoholics? Nope. All those are life choices.

Maybe the nursing shortage is more about greed at the top and hospitals not hiring nurses that's been going on for a few years now. We have national guard here in oregon to make up the numbers...

This narrative that everyone needs to be vaccinated to protect the vaccinated against a virus that the vaccine doesn't stop (delta, MU, who knows) is silly.

The narrative changes constantly and Biden's administration lies like a rug.

Who would trust anything they say?

New Biden mandates today. I hope he does that thing where he talks normal and the leans in, whispers and tries to chastise. That's always the best part.

5. The silliest thing was that people who have been vaccinated didn’t need to wear a mask. Is our government that clueless?

6. That must be a rhetorical question.

7. I must have forgotten all the Dtap and Polio boosters and knowing they wouldn't work because some refused.

This clown world.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    That must be a rhetorical question.
    Yes. I should have just said that our government officials really are that stupid.

9. The vaccine is free and you can get it at the grocery store. It's literally the least and easiest thing you could do to try and help in a worldwide pandemic, so are you just scared? Of vaccines that have been dosed billions of times already? Vaccines that "don't work", but will lay dormant in your body and do something years later?
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

10. I don't feel that it was researched enough to justify taking it. Maybe I will choose to in a year or two.

I have a pre-existing medical condition that makes the chances for negatives from a vaccine not worth it.

I prefer masks.

I choose not to and am not a volunteer in the army nor am I a child with parents giving me a few shots from long researched vaccines.

I don't want this vaccine and feel that my body is my choice and this effects anyone else just as much as a vaccinated person effects me.

I prefer to rely on my immune system and decline flu shots.

I don't believe most of what the government says about this vaccine.

Any/all of those.

I'll wear my mask. I'll respect private business decisions as to entry. Doing my part does not include this particular vaccine for me.

In the end, my right as an american is to be able to say "nope" and take my chances.