Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 356789 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series

1. $1300 for the 3080 12 GB... just damn. I have the 3080 10 GB in my new machine and it does what I need. Control with RTX and DLSS at 1440p holds 60 FPS well for me. So does Elden Ring with maxed settings. I'm skipping the 4080 and will hold out for the 50 series. I wonder how 4080 will take Crysis 4. Yes, Crytek has that in early dev now with plans to make it a truly next-gen FPS.

I added a EVGA 3060 12 GB XC to my other Alienware, a 2016 model. The 1080 that was once its main GPU is now being used for a PhysX card.

2. I wonder what percentage of Cryteks legit graphic people were absorbed by Cloud Imperium Games...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

3. I'm not familiar with Cloud Imperium Games. Let's hope that they are getting the team behind Crytek's insane Ray Tracing software. It doesn't even require an RTX GPU to get these kinds of visuals.

I ran this on a GTX 1440p monitor and it looks pretty amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    $1300 for the 3080 12 GB... just damn. I have the 3080 10 GB in my new machine and it does what I need. Control with RTX and DLSS at 1440p holds 60 FPS well for me. So does Elden Ring with maxed settings. I'm skipping the 4080 and will hold out for the 50 series. I wonder how 4080 will take Crysis 4. Yes, Crytek has that in early dev now with plans to make it a truly next-gen FPS.

I added a EVGA 3060 12 GB XC to my other Alienware, a 2016 model. The 1080 that was once its main GPU is now being used for a PhysX card.
    EVGA is selling their 10 GB versions of the RTX 3080 for between $990 and $789. I'm pretty sure that those prices will start dropping everywhere, especially if the supposed launch of the 4090 is happening at the end of July. I'll gladly snatch up a 12 GB 3080 for under $750, when people start dumping their cards. Right now, there's a bunch of people that have been returning their GPUs at my local MicroCenter. I suspect that the price they had bought their cards for a month ago, could now pay for a much better GPU if they returned it. https://www.microcenter.com/search/s...7&myStore=true

Yeah, your 3080 is beyond the demand that 1440p games will put upon it. It'll be a long time before that card will struggle on any game at that resolution. I'm running the 3060 Ti on 4K and I've only encounters 2 games where I had to either run them in 1440p, or dial down the setting to high and medium. So far, it's been Cyberpunk 2077 (1440p high) and Dirt 5, of all games.

That 1080 is going to waste as a PhysX card. I doubt you'd notice any difference it you removed it. I sold my GTX 1080 Classified to a poor gamer last Saturday. I had put it up for sale (on Craiglist) on Friday of the week prior and the only offer I got, was some scammer trying to say he'd pay me an extra $70 to hold it and that he was going to send a cashier's check. He also said he was out of town. Surely, he was going to use a loophole in the rules that banks have to honor a cashiers check within 24 hours, and a lot of them turn out to be fake. I told the dude, no thanks and sent him on his way.

Anyways, I got a text early Saturday morning from someone asking if I still had the card up for sale and if I would take a lower price. I asked him how much and he offered $240. He said that he was currently gaming on a 1050 and that he had sold his 980 Ti a couple of years ago, with hopes of getting a 3000 series GPU. We had agreed to the deal, but about 30 minutes later he was telling me that he wasn't able to get $240 out of he bank, or he would be overdrawn. At 1st I'd wished him luck and told him that the offer would still be there if he could get the money together in a week. I said fuck it. This poor sap needs a GPU and I'm going to give him the true value of this GPU, unlike what all of the scalpers and the market have been doing to budget gamers. I offered the card to him for $200, so he wouldn't be totally broke and he could finally have a GPU that was decent enough for modern gaming. Once he got home and tested the GPU, he thanked me and was very grateful for my kind gesture.

Maybe you should hook up someone in dire need of a GPU with your old one. $300 is a reasonable price to ask and just maybe some poor sap can have a decent GPU without going broke!
    Last edited by gamevet; 16 May 2022 at 09:16 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'm not familiar with Cloud Imperium Games. Let's hope that they are getting the team behind Crytek's insane Ray Tracing software. It doesn't even require an RTX GPU to get these kinds of visuals.

I ran this on a GTX 1440p monitor and it looks pretty amazing!

EVGA is selling their 10 GB versions of the RTX 3080 for between $990 and $789. I'm pretty sure that those prices will start dropping everywhere, especially if the supposed launch of the 4090 is happening at the end of July. I'll gladly snatch up a 12 GB 3080 for under $750, when people start dumping their cards. Right now, there's a bunch of people that have been returning their GPUs at my local MicroCenter. I suspect that the price they had bought their cards for a month ago, could now pay for a much better GPU if they returned it. https://www.microcenter.com/search/s...7&myStore=true

Yeah, your 3080 is beyond the demand that 1440p games will put upon it. It'll be a long time before that card will struggle on any game at that resolution. I'm running the 3060 Ti on 4K and I've only encounters 2 games where I had to either run them in 1440p, or dial down the setting to high and medium. So far, it's been Cyberpunk 2077 (1440p high) and Dirt 5, of all games.

That 1080 is going to waste as a PhysX card. I doubt you'd notice any difference it you removed it. I sold my GTX 1080 Classified to a poor gamer last Saturday. I had put it up for sale (on Craiglist) on Friday of the week prior and the only offer I got, was some scammer trying to say he'd pay me an extra $70 to hold it and that he was going to send a cashier's check. He also said he was out of town. Surely, he was going to use a loophole in the rules that banks have to honor a cashiers check within 24 hours, and a lot of them turn out to be fake. I told the dude, no thanks and sent him on his way.

Anyways, I got a text early Saturday morning from someone asking if I still had the card up for sale and if I would take a lower price. I asked him how much and he offered $240. He said that he was currently gaming on a 1050 and that he had sold his 980 Ti a couple of years ago, with hopes of getting a 3000 series GPU. We had agreed to the deal, but about 30 minutes later he was telling me that he wasn't able to get $240 out of he bank, or he would be overdrawn. At 1st I'd wished him luck and told him that the offer would still be there if he could get the money together in a week. I said fuck it. This poor sap needs a GPU and I'm going to give him the true value of this GPU, unlike what all of the scalpers and the market have been doing to budget gamers. I offered the card to him for $200, so he wouldn't be totally broke and he could finally have a GPU that was decent enough for modern gaming. Once he got home and tested the GPU, he thanked me and was very grateful for my kind gesture.

Maybe you should hook up someone in dire need of a GPU with your old one. $300 is a reasonable price to ask and just maybe some poor sap can have a decent GPU without going broke!
    It's the company developing star citizen. Crytek attempted to sue CIG for switching away from their engine or something... they were having financial problems and CIG picked up tons of their staff.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

5. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    That's really nice of you!

My 1080 is starting to get a little long in the tooth these days, but I built a tiny shoebox computer and it doesn't seem like any of the newer cards have smaller spec options anymore. Oh well. Most anything high-fidelity I really want to play I can rock on PS5 or Xbox X for now - and Steam Deck is going to keep me occupied. Much rather have spent the money on that than a new card right now.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Toupee View Post
    That's really nice of you!

My 1080 is starting to get a little long in the tooth these days, but I built a tiny shoebox computer and it doesn't seem like any of the newer cards have smaller spec options anymore. Oh well. Most anything high-fidelity I really want to play I can rock on PS5 or Xbox X for now - and Steam Deck is going to keep me occupied. Much rather have spent the money on that than a new card right now.
    The GTX 1080 is still a rock solid card. I was able to run Forza Horizon 5 @4k60 on high settings. It’s more capable than any of the GTX 1600 series cards and it rasterization performance is pretty close to that of the RTX 3050. It’s way overkill for a phys-x card and would consume unnecessary power.

7. Prices are plummeting on the 3000 series cards. I've had my eyes on an open box EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB at MicroCenter for $719, but I'm beginning to get a bit concerned about the power draw, which some believe will be even higher on the 4000 series. I was gaming last night with my RTX 3060 Ti (overclocked) when all of the sudden the 1000 VA UPS started making noises about the power draw, which was peaking about 770 VA. Maybe 100 or so of that VA is from the stereo and the television, but when the PC is off the draw is barely above 100. The VA thing is a bit confusing, because it's a measurement of the input and output Voltage and Amps of the device.

So, today I decided to see how many watts it was drawing from the UPS at stock clocks. Measuring Wattage, the setup was pulling up to 570 Watts from the UPS and this was with a 80+Gold Power supply, so it would be even higher with a Bronze PSU under heavy load. I would suggest having at least an 850 Watt Gold (750 Platinum), if you plan on running anything higher than the 3070 Ti.

Attached Images Attached Images

8. Good to know! I am planning on building a new gaming PC soon now that the GPU prices are more sane.

9. I've had that eVGA 3080 FTW since release and have never had a problem with it beyond it spinning up pretty loudly even inside a fractal case. I bought the official hybrid water cooling conversion kit for it but installing it was more complicated than I thought so it's just sitting in a box. I'll try to post my psu when I get home from work.

Edit: Corsair RM750 (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
    Last edited by sedition; 19 Aug 2022 at 04:29 PM.

10. Did you have to buy an extra 8 pin cable for that?

How’s the VRAM usage with that 10GB card in 4k? I’m seriously leaning towards the 12GB model, because I maxed out the VRAM on both of my 8GB cards.

I was looking at my RM850 the other day (*Edit*I must have been looking at it on my phone, the box shows 6) and the box showed only 2 of the cables. I have an entire spare set, from when I RMA’d my old PSU after a CPU and motherboard shit the bed.

My UPS never freak out like that before. It wasn’t until I did a revisit to Forza Horizon 4 that I’d encountered it. Even Cyberpunk had no issues.
    Last edited by gamevet; 19 Aug 2022 at 08:03 PM.