Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series

1. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series

Looks great

probably pick up a 3080 Hybrid and build a new PC
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

2. I'll be sticking with my 2080 Super for a while but looking longingly at a 3080. The smart move is to wait for the 3080 Super when it hits 8 months to a year later, which is about as soon as I'd be able to free up the budget for it anyway. Chasing the latest/greatest is a sucker's game, but it's so tempting!

3. I finished my new build back in November of 2019. I'd replace my 5 years old 4790K rig with the 9900K. I finally upgraded from a GTX 1080 to the 2080 Super in June. I game at 1440p, so I'm good on the GPU now, but once Ray Tracing starts to become the norm, my eyes might wander over to the 30 series.

Digital Foundry got their hands on a card. He couldn't give us raw numbers, but he could give us the percentage of improvement @ 4K. The 3080 is a monster. It leaves the 2080 Ti in the dust.

Look like I'm getting a 3070. I was putting 500 aside for a new gpu. This is perfect for my upgrades

5. That 3070 will be like the 2080 Ti on steroids.

6. These cards look amazing, and much more aggressively priced than expected. I have a newish 2070 (and a 1080p monitor) so I am not looking to upgrade real soon, but give devs some time to properly exploit these and I'll be tempted.

7. 2560 x 1440 is fine by me, although I wouldn't mind getting a new monitor with higher refresh rate. 4K is nice and all but the size screen you need to take advantage of it is way larger than anything that's practical for my desk.

8. I'm using a 28" 144 Hz G-Sync monitor. I got that after I got a GTX 1080. The 1080 was too powerful to be used with 1080p, back then (2016), but now that graphics have advanced, it's better suited for it.

The only reason to have 4K on the desktop, is if you want to have HDR and you do professional video editing. Now, a big screen 4K monitor is a different story., and those over 60 hz are uber expensive.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03 Sep 2020 at 08:03 PM.

9. Windows kinda sucks at high resolutions, and display scaling introduces all kinds of weirdness. I wouldn't want a 4k monitor smaller than 30".

10. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Windows kinda sucks at high resolutions, and display scaling introduces all kinds of weirdness. I wouldn't want a 4k monitor smaller than 30".
    Yeah the benefit isn't really there unless you're playing on a big screen.

And frankly, DLSS makes native 4K an irrelevant concern anyway.

I expect it will take a couple years before devs start really leaning into what these 30 series cards can do, but once the big engines like UE5 catch up and and optimize to the new features I think we will see some incredible stuff.