Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 46789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL

1. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I feel like politics and religion might as well not be discussed on this forum.

NO ONE believes that their political position or religion is incorrect. NO ONE wants to listen to opposing opinions or believe people unlike them are anything but evil. It works both ways, it's ridiculous.
    The only thing that I believe politicians and religion do, is lie to you and take your money. It’s a pretty good gig for them, I guess.

2. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The only thing that I believe politicians and religion do, is lie to you and take your money. It’s a pretty good gig for them, I guess.
    That's the true common ground that the politicians and religious hucksters want to distract us from. I think we would all love to see the lobbyists get the boot, the military industrial complex collapse, and corrupt politicians rot in jail without a penny to their name.

3. Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    when I die in whatever january I die in.
    First of all, I choose to interpret this as rezo having told you he was going to kill you on some unspecified January.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    January Jones hopefully.
    Second, this is a great response but spread rep blah blah.

4. I still want to know who wrote the College Football 96 copypasta
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. Before i ruined that magazine.

Fan’s College Football USA ’96 Review Might Be the Worst Thing Ever Written

GameFan’s College Football USA ’96 Review Might Be the Worst Thing Ever Written

BY*ANDY REIERSON*NOVEMBER 18, 2014

[https://retrovolve]

In an age when anyone can get online and write whatever nonsense about games they desire, I thought I’d already seen the worst video game analysis so-called “journalists” could produce. As it turns out, the worst video game review might have been written well before the Internet killed gaming magazines forever.

It almost seemed like there were more*of these*magazines than actual games in the 1990s. Right before web-based news giants*changed the landscape of the games journalism industry, nearly every periodical publisher in America had some sort of game-related piece of literature*on newsstands.*Some of them were extremely memorable, and have become just as cherished as the games they covered. Others?*Not as much.

GameFan*was one of the least remarkable of the bunch, and if this review of the equally forgettable*College Football USA ’96*is any indication, it’s easy to see why.

[https://retrovolve]

Let’s ignore the numerous misspellings and run-on sentences for now and focus on the fact this review clearly has nothing to do with*College Football ’96. Instead the author has chosen to forego his given responsibilities concerning this mediocre sports title and instead discuss*“the all mighty ace Combat.”

It would therefore appear that this journalist is referring to*Ace Combat*for the Sony PlayStation developed by Namco. The article continues to unravel into a complete mess of gibberish and grammatical miscues.

Where in the hell was the editor on this one? Why was this even written to begin with?

The review actually made it to print in*GameFan’s*September 1995 issue, and the magazine’s subscriber base was justifiably less than pleased. The magazine’s higher-ups scrambled to cover their asses by blaming the shockingly bad review on a conspiracy-minded production partner who used anti-Japanese sentiment in order to sabotage the company’s*relationship with the Asian*gaming*market.

From Editor In Chief Dave Halverson’s press release:

GameFan, more so than any other American title covering the gaming industry, has been the greatest proponent of the Japanese market and culture. This is a known fact in the industry and among gamers.

We are also the fastest growing gaming magazine on the market, despite the fact that our cover price is 20% higher than that of our competitors. We are thought of by readers of all gaming titles as the magazine with the highest production quality and editorial integrity. For these reasons, we are the constant target of our competitors.

Our September issue was the aim of sabotage. The intention was to include language in our issue offensive to the Japanese to damage relationships and set our friends against us.

During the production process, text containing various profanities and language offensive to the Japanese culture was woven throughout the text of the issue. We were able to remove the majority of the language. Despite our efforts, one paragraph contained within an editorial made it through the production process. By the time we discovered this, some of the copies were already distributed to retail outlets.

Unfortunately, because our production process largely involves digitized information on disk and it travels through the hands of several outside sources, it is subject to this type of manipulation. We were caught with our guard down, never having expected such an outrageous act. We have put safeguards in place to insure that this will never occur again.

The action was undoubtedly directed to harm GameFan.

Version I heard was unremoved filler text and no proofreading.

6. Wasn't there some bullshit where Victor Ireland tried to discredit Nick with some shit over Lunar Eternal Blue?
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

7. I wish I kept an archive of the “tnl villians” forum
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Wasn't there some bullshit where Victor Ireland tried to discredit Nick with some shit over Lunar Eternal Blue?
    I remember that as well

9. Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Version I heard was unremoved filler text and no proofreading.
    That’s what I mean. Whoever wrote and whoever pasted the filler, why didn’t they use something passable?

I’m glad they didn’t. It’s hilarious. But, it’s also really stupid. Of course, I guess everyone was too high on morning LSD coffee to notice.

10. Oh. I found this...

Quote Originally Posted by mollipen View Post
    Boy, I don't know anything about that. The biggest chatroom story I know was when Dan (Knightmare) went in there drunk one night, and ended up getting temporarily fired for what he said the next day. *heh*

Oh, and: The "Jap Bastards" incident
    Thanks to the power of the Wayback Machine, this article still exists. https://web.archive.org/web/20050221...p/Jap_Bastards