Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 356789 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox Series X/S (Official Thread)

1. I posted it just minutes before you.

I also saw 3 RTX 3080 ‘Tis at MicroCenter yesterday. The only problem was that they started at $1,600.
    Last edited by gamevet; 07 Aug 2021 at 04:17 PM.

2. Too damn much! My friend picked up the same card yesterday at the same place. I'm happily rocking a 1070. Shit is just too expensive now.

3. I was fortunate to get the RTX 2080 Super for $615 in June of last year. It’s kind of ironic, because when I’d got my EVGA 1080 Classified, the GPU market also got crazy when Cryptocurrency mining blew up the GPU supplies.
    Last edited by gamevet; 08 Aug 2021 at 06:02 PM.

4. Series S was in stock on Costco's website for a few days a little bit back too, so for sure tide is turning.

Sucks that thing is digital only cause at that price point I totally would have got it for my media box in the living room. Of course, if it had a disk drive it wouldn't be that price and blah blah, thems the breaks.

5. I got a Series S and it is a substantive improvement over my original Xbox One. The turn on time and load times are much improved. My TV is over 10 years old, so I don't get any of the HDR improvements. It is unfortunate that it doesn't have a disk drive as my Xbox One is still connected as my Bluray player. If there's a Halo special edition Series X this fall, I'd like to get that.

6. I’ve been looking at perhaps getting a PC again for gaming purposes now that our financial situation is a lot more stable and have been looking at stuff online (I haven’t bought PC hardware since like 2006&#128563. Desktops seem to be a lot more expensive for a lot less in the specs compared to laptops. I’m sure someone more in the know has some better insight but my best guess is it has to do with the GPU costs. There’s laptops with 30 series GeForce cards and 64gb of RAM for less than $2500. I’m also guessing the same costs aren’t impacting the mobile versions of GPUs. Perhaps going laptop is the best route in terms of cost and availability.

7. Laptops are garbage. The CPU and GPU are wayyyy down-clocked to keep the power consumption and heat down. The Series-X would slaughter a $1,500 laptop in gaming performance.

GPU prices will start to come down. I saw an EVGA RFX 3060 available at my local MicroCenter for $400 last night. A pre-built PC is the best way to go, to get a higher end GPU, without getting price gouged. NewEgg had this nice build for $1,700.

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali455/p/N82E16883360039

8. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Laptops are garbage. The CPU and GPU are wayyyy down-clocked to keep the power consumption and heat down. The Series-X would slaughter a $1,500 laptop in gaming performance.

GPU prices will start to come down. I saw an EVGA RFX 3060 available at my local MicroCenter for $400 last night. A pre-built PC is the best way to go, to get a higher end GPU, without getting price gouged. NewEgg had this nice build for $1,700.

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali455/p/N82E16883360039
    I suppose I’ll have to do some more research. My wife wants to get a laptop for work so that’s part of the reason why I’ve been looking that route. Granted, I haven’t dove into it too deeply and I am very detached from modern PC specs but the benchmarks I’ve seen for some of the laptops I was looking at were pretty good.

The build you linked does look pretty nice and I think the nostalgia of sitting at a desktop PC would be nice (plus all the extra benefits). I’m not so enthused about the 16gb of RAM but I suppose that’s an easy thing to upgrade myself down the line.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

9. One of my co-workers got a laptop with a 1650 Super GPU from Target. I think he only paid around $900.

https://www.target.com/p/msi-pulse-g...73#lnk=sametab
    Last edited by gamevet; 11 Aug 2021 at 10:12 AM.

10. I managed to get my hands on a Series X from Best Buy and I couldn't be happier. The sale was live for about 2 hours on Dec. 28th, which is insane. I couldn't believe it wasn't sold out by the time I got to the website (it sold out about 45 minutes later). I think I waited 10 minutes in the virtual queue until it offered me one. Picked which store I wanted to get it from and it told me it'd be in-store on 1/3. I got an email on the first saying it was ready which was awesome.

It's an absolute beast of a machine, the engineering is really impressive. It's kinda shocking how much better FH 5 looks over the One version. Once cross-platform goes away we are going to see some crazy shit I've skipped a few games because I didn't have the hardware for it (like Control, Warhammer Vermilntide 2, Jedi Fallen Order) and Game Pass has a ton of good games right now and coming this month so I have more to play than I know how to handle.