Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5)

1. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5)

I know there's like 3 of us here, but we need a thread for this if only to say that it's better than Remake and hands down the best FF since X.

I'm constantly blown away by the quality of this game. Gold Saucer being as good as it is, isn't something I expected in 2024 from post FFX Square.

2. Man, I'm really out of the Final Fantasy loop. Here's my history with that franchise, since why not?

I beat Final Fantasy II on the Super Nintendo twice. I played III on that platform as well but didn't beat it (video store rental). I borrowed my cousin's PlayStation and played VII. I only got maybe a little past the part where you jump out of an airship into some enemy location, or something like that, but I loved the game. I also played Final Fantasy Tactics for a bit at some point (loved that one, too), and I probably loaded the first Final Fantasy on an emulator to see what it looked like.

That's about it. I know I bought part IX on sale.

So am I an embarrassment?
    Last edited by Nick; 09 Mar 2024 at 11:29 PM.

3. It’s pretty damn good. It’s better than it should be and it kind of ridiculous how large the game is.

4. I finished it and my only complaint is there might be TOO many mini games. But that's a good problem to have.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Man, I'm really out of the Final Fantasy loop. Here's my history with that franchise, since why not?

I beat Final Fantasy II on the Super Nintendo twice. I played III on that platform as well but didn't beat it (video store rental). I borrowed my cousin's PlayStation and played VII. I only got maybe a little past the part where you jump out of an airship into some enemy location, or something like that, but I loved the game. I also played Final Fantasy Tactics for a bit at some point (loved that one, too), and I probably loaded the first Final Fantasy on an emulator to see what it looked like.

That's about it. I know I bought part IX on sale.

So am I an embarrassment?
    Nah. I played 3 for a bit and then forgot about it. I played 7 for a bit longer than 3 but the translation was so rough that I couldn't get invested in the story so I bailed maybe about a third of the way through. I've never been super-into traditional Japanese RPGs because there's barely any gameplay and random encounters make my butthole pucker. The only JRPGs I've actually finished were Lunar 1 and Thousand Arms on PS1.

I did love FF Tactics, however. Didn't finish it but I did play the shit out of it for a while. Again, rough translation but the gameplay more than made up for it. SRPGs are awesome (my fav was probably Vandal Hearts, which I need to replay soon).

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. The thing is FFVII remake/rebith are not those games. They're not turn based, but a spin on Action RPGs with an ATB bar building base on normal attacks you use to cast spells and summon.

So it'll appeal to people who didn't like the OG.

7. I’ve played the original Final Fantasy on the NES for quite a length of time, but never beat it. I’ve also played the PSP and GBA versions and never beat those either. I’ve beaten Final Fantasy 2 and 3 a couple of times each, ended up selling them and about 2 years ago; I bought 3 again. I’ve put over 100 hours into FF7, but lost my save when some assholes stole my PlayStation, Dreamcast and N64 collections.

I do plan on buying this game. I played the previous chapter on the PS4 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely looking forward to playing it.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03 Apr 2024 at 12:46 PM.

8. I finished after about 80hrs. It’s not perfect but hot damn is the spectacle worth it. This is Squares Opus.

I can agree with the 10 scores. It’s a 9plus game easily for me. I like the combat. It’s a great mix of old and new. This should be the standard going forward. Yes, the overworld is massive and maybe too big but it doesn’t force you into doing all of it. You can just plow the story if you want. I did the vast majority of everything. I only missed a few things, protocon(?) missions had some awful moments so I quit a few. Overall I really appreciate the crazy detail they put into this. It’s a must play. Crazy story and all. We won’t ever see anything like this again. Besides Reunion I hope.

9. It is ridiculously obvious that the final game must be called FFVII Reunion.

If it's not, a literal baby child will have picked whatever other name they go with.

10. Pretty sure they announced that it was called that.