Thread: The month of March is the 20th Anniversary of the Gameboy Advance.

1. The month of March is the 20th Anniversary of the Gameboy Advance.

I didn't get the GBA until the SP came out. I believe it was around the fall of 2003, when I was working for a month in NYC. My Sega Nomad really wasn't cutting it, because I had to work at nights, waiting on carpenters to rebuild the CVS pharmacy counter before I could complete my work. I had to put all of the terminals back in their places after their work was done, and then the pharmacist had to test all of the terminals.

So, after getting pretty tired of just milling around for 4 hours, I decided it was time to get the GBA SP, along with Golden Sun and Advance Wars.

The GBA SP was my "on the road" gaming device up until the PSP 3000 came along. I managed to put together a pretty decent little collection that included all of the Castlevania titles, Gradius Galaxies, both Advance Wars & Golden Sun tiles, the Metroid games and several of the Nintendo SNES games that were ported to the handheld. It's not a big collection, but what's there is really worth playing. I had a great time with the Gameboy Advance and it sort of saddened me when Nintendo discontinued the Gameboy line of handhelds.

Anyone have any fond memories, or some games to show?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 26 Mar 2021 at 09:53 PM.

2. I love GBA. One of my favorite platforms, I wish I had paid more attention to it while it was alive, I missed so many great games that I now discover with the overdrive. There are so many great titles, but here are a few that I still play every now and then.

Double Dragon Advance: This is how you do a DD sequel. Tons of moves, control is smooth as butter (unlike some DD home ports) and challenging without being unfair. This is one of the best beatem up.

Ninja Five-O: A truly stupid name to an amazing 2D ninja platformer. It takes Shinobi to the next level with the swinging mechanic that allows you to do some crazy moves. This game is too expensive now to buy, so just play it on an emulator or ED. I finished it several times and will go back to it every few years.

Drill Dozer: Another 2D platformer gem, I love the drilling mechanic. I think this is also one of Josh's favorites as well. Lovely game from Game Freak.

I haven't even talked about all the great RPGs on the system, and some weird games like Boktai.

Finally, I like to game on big screen and using the GB player on the Gamecube (with the GBI interface) on a CRT is the way to go. It is a bit cumbersome but there are FPGA solutions coming that will accomplish the same thing (from Analogue, or just get a MiSTer).

3. I love GBA. One of my favorite platforms, I wish I had paid more attention to it while it was alive, I missed so many great games that I now discover with the overdrive. There are so many great titles, but here are a few that I still play every now and then.

Double Dragon Advance: This is how you do a DD sequel. Tons of moves, control is smooth as butter (unlike some DD home ports) and challenging without being unfair. This is one of the best beatem up.

Ninja Five-O: A truly stupid name to an amazing 2D ninja platformer. It takes Shinobi to the next level with the swinging mechanic that allows you to do some crazy moves. This game is too expensive now to buy, so just play it on an emulator or ED. I finished it several times and will go back to it every few years.

Drill Dozer: Another 2D platformer gem, I love the drilling mechanic. I think this is also one of Josh's favorites as well. Lovely game from Game Freak.

I haven't even talked about all the great RPGs on the system, and some weird games like Boktai.

Finally, I like to game on big screen and using the GB player on the Gamecube (with the GBI interface) on a CRT is the way to go. It is a bit cumbersome but there are FPGA solutions coming that will accomplish the same thing (from Analogue, or just get a MiSTer).

4. I managed get an Onyx GBA player to match my GameCube. I have it hooked up to my 32” HD CRT in my office/man-cave.

I missed out on Ninja Five-O, but I did get a loose cartridge of Drill Dozer.

5. I remember that I was going to buy Ninja 5-0 from someone on this board for a decent price but I never did. I really should have done that lol.

I loved the GBA as well. It was the machine that helped me stop smoking back then! Warioware regular and Twisted were amazing. The Castlevania games, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem and on and on.

6. Fuck the original non lighted version. Castlevania was so awesome, except I couldn’t see shit!! Best hardware upgrade ever is the GbaSp clam shell. That thing is awesome. Still got mine.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

7. That’s all I got left from over the years. Sold soooo much.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

8. Quality over quantity.

9. I had most of those and traded them, or had them stolen, long before they were worth much. I still have my GBA SP, GB Player, and GB Micro to play the few loose carts and flashcarts that I still have.

10. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt