Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Halo Infinite

1. My gaming plate is so damned full now, that I had to skip on this. I'm currently running through FH5 and Far Cry 6, along with trying to finish up Red Dead Redemption 2 on the PC. I haven't even began to widdle away on the PS+ games I have on the PS4.

2. Oh boy do I have more thoughts than people want to read, but I wanna say it all so here we go:

Single Player:

I enjoyed it, a lot. Played through the first time getting all FOBs, Targets, Banished Bases and rescued all squads. Did that run on Heroic because the first boss on Legendary was bullshit and I didn't want that headache on a first play through. Then blasted through an easy run in three and a half hours to collect all story skulls I missed on my first play through. Then yesterday I did a full Legendary run with Bandana on and used the tank gun, pretty fun and took just shy of 5 hours. Won't ever do a LASO run because fuck that.

You can tell there's TONS of a cut content and based on the stories that have come out about internal issues, that a focus campaign materialized at all, and is as good as it is, is nothing short of a miracle. Now that they have a base game in their new engine done, my expectation for expansion of DLC is that it'll be awesome. Infinite 2 isn't an option for decade, but massive add ons are, and they could be amazing. I'm excited to see the entire Zeta Halo saga unfold.

Multiplayer:

What a cluster fuck. Because I wanted to get the whole battle pass, and because bot battles are FUN, and because the mechanics are so solid, I've played like 600 matches and maxed out the battle pass.

But holy shit did they fuck so many things up. Marketing department put items on materials for free events that are cash only from the shop. Launched with no slayer, no fiesta, no SWAT, no FFA. 10 maps only, no legacy maps. Battle pass was dropped from 120 levels with more tangible items to 100 levels with more swaps/boosts but the fucking achievement card still shows 120 levels on it (can't even make this shit up), BTB broke at full launch and has not been fixed weeks later, and the desync in everything but bot matches is bananas.

For that last note, I feel some justification that the "why isn't that hitting him it doesn't make sense" I talked about earlier in the thread wasn't just me, it's a very real issue related to terrible client-server communication. It makes me want to not mess with anything ranked or full PVP because the experience can be so frustrating.

Good game with great gameplay. Overall package has the potential to be the best Halo ever if they keep fixing/expanding like they claim they will.
    Last edited by Opaque; 20 Dec 2021 at 03:30 PM.

3. I can see why the 1st boss would kick your ass, but it's not as hard as you think. I'm playing on Heroic though, so I don't know if he acts different at that setting. There's a scoped rifle that you can use to shoot him in the head, while he's at the command desk.

I finally got to play this on my PC this morning. The game is beautiful, with tons of lighting and particle effects all around you during battle and the escape in the opening story. I couldn't believe that it almost took me an hour to complete that opening level, though I did die about a half dozen times. There was one moment though, where the game froze up for about 3 seconds. I'd thought that maybe the game had crashed, but I guess it was just loading in 4 grunts and had a hiccup. Other than that, the game has run as smooth as melted butter.

4. I can see why the 1st boss would kick your ass, but it's not as hard as you think. I'm playing on Heroic though, so I don't know if he acts different at that setting. There's a scoped rifle that you can use to shoot him in the head, while he's at the command desk.

I finally got to play this on my PC this morning. The game is beautiful, with tons of lighting and particle effects all around you during battle and the escape in the opening story. I couldn't believe that it almost took me an hour to complete that opening level, though I did die about a half dozen times. There was one moment though, where the game froze up for about 3 seconds. I'd thought that maybe the game had crashed, but I guess it was just loading in 4 grunts and had a hiccup. Other than that, the game has run as smooth as melted butter.

5. https://v.redd.it/n9pu9hhk1wc81

Top is what the server saw, bottom is the players screen in real time. The desync is BANANAS right now.
    Last edited by Opaque; 21 Jan 2022 at 06:19 PM.

6. Oh man though, the times when there isnt desync and you can also get into a real BTB are just fantastic.

dbaf9e73-7641-40bc-aff7-2d31a77f3bfc.jpg
    Last edited by Opaque; 21 Jan 2022 at 06:19 PM.

7. I don't know how many on this board are big Bungie era Halo lore fans. I am. I started the franchise late and it quickly replaced Star Wars as my favorite franchise after the prequel fiascos. Small tangent, now that Disney is the Unicron of the Star Wars universe, viewing the prequels as damaging is quite quaint. Back on topic. Someone went through excruciating lengths to factually outline how 343i, and specifically Frank O'Connor, did not understand the lore of the Halo universe at all. It's a long watch but a very good one:

8. I have not watched that video yet (but I'm probably going to) but at the end of the day every complaint with 343 boils down to this: some people aren't talented enough to do some things.

Taking a High School JV Football team and giving them the Pittsburgh Steelers franchise doesn't suddenly make a bunch of dudes who coach part time, and a bunch of 15 year olds the ability to compete at the NFL level. 343 never had the talent or the management/culture to produce a Halo level product, most developers don't and that's why most FPS games aren't as good as OG Halo. Had 343 made an FPS with any other name, it would have been a moderate success at best, and they would have faded into obscurity.

Bonnie Ross is not Alex Seropian and Jason Jones, and it shows.

9. My interest in Halo pretty much ended at 3. I tried playing this latest one and just couldn't.

10. I do hope this is true: https://www.windowscentral.com/gamin...left-microsoft
    O'Connor finally gone. Unless some type of reboot happens, his incompetency has done irreparable damage to the franchise lore.