Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: N64 - Celebrating its North American 25th Anniversary.

1. N64 - Celebrating its North American 25th Anniversary.

I remember getting all hyped up, after reading articles about the N64 in magazines like EGM and (of course) Gamefan magazine. The images of the games looked like nothing we had ever seen from a computer or gaming system before.

I picked up the N64 from Electronics' Boutique along with the $70 Mario 64. Sadly, I no longer have my launch N64, because some assholes stole it from our apartment, along with my Dreamcast and PlayStation. Luckily, insurance replaced most of it, but I ended up getting an Atomic Purple N64.

I remember it seeming like forever to get a new title for the console. I was playing Mario 64, Wave Race 64 and Pilot Wings until Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire arrived in early winter of the next year. It seemed like an even longer wait to get Turok.

Do you guys have any fond memories with the console? And what are some of your favorites?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 29 Sep 2021 at 08:22 PM.

2. Mostly I remember stealing one from some jerk's apartment.

3. I bought it at launch as well. My favorite game at launch was Wave Race 64. The waves were just incredible and I still play it to this day. I finished one of the easier difficulty earlier this year, just love the feeling of riding the waves and the different stages, I do think WR64 is just about the perfect game. Sadly Blue Storm never captured the magic for whatever reason.

Widely hailed as one of the best games ever, I never got into Mario 64. I should go back to it some time. I did played the crap out of Goldeneye (not multiplayer, I already moved onto PC for that). Zelda OoT was great as well, and Majora's Mask is a refreshing change as well. There are definitely some gem on the system but overall, I find it lacking and the blurry graphics just don't help. Sound/music also second tier compared to CD-based systems at the time. Overall I think it is one of Nintendo's weaker home consoles (if not the weakest). I would rate it above the WiiU but behind all the other consoles (Gamecube, Wii, SNES, Switch, and NES).

Some of my favorite titles:

Beetle Adventure Racing
    Diddy Kong Racing
    F-Zero X
    Legend of Zelda: OoT & MM
    Ogre Battle 64
    Resident Evil 2: Crazy they fit that onto the cartridge
    Rogue's Squadron
    Star Fox 64
    Tetrisphere: Still mad that it never came out on the Jaguar.
    Waverace 64

4. Bought it when Yoshi Story came out. I hate the N64 lol.

Actually, I enjoyed some of the sports games on the system, especially NHL 99 and Blitz 4 player. Really enjoyed Quake on the system as well. Castlevania 64 was really fun too. Haters be damned, it was more fun than the trash PS2 'vanias

5. To this day never owned an N64. I own a few games for it now somehow, don't own and have never owned the system. Not for lack of wanting, when this thing launched and I was 10 years old I wanted it so bad. For Christmas that year my parents got me a large box, I thought it was an N64 and it was a fucking printer.

I want an N64 Classic super bad. Would be a nice way to enjoy some of these games. Until then the new N64 games with Switch Online service will be wonderful.

6. Doom64 has been ported to PC, and I think to Xbox Series and PS5. I played a little bit of it on PC and it looked awesome. There wasn’t one bit of fog.

7. If you have Gamepass, you can play Doom64. I tried it briefly, it is alright.

8. My first experience with the system was right after it was released and I spent way too much time playing the demo unit with Mario 64 at my local Blockbuster.

I didn't own a 64 system for several years. I had played Goldeneye on my younger brother's system a few times and I had friends who I played a metric fuckton of WCW/NWO Revenge with at their place. I was working at a local game shop and bought a jungle green system w/DK and a copy of Wrestlemania 2000 the day that game came out. I still have that system and game.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

9. I got mine from EB at launch too! I had those GameFan issues too, I had a subscription at the time. Hyped me up beyond belief. I loved Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 still hasn't been bested.

WCW/NWO Revenge was like Jesus was resurrected around here. I think World Tour was first? Those games basically replaced traditional fighting games because the controller sucked for anything else. I mean, does anyone remember BioFreaks? Oof.

I think you really had to have the N64 right when it came out to appreciate the games that defined the console. It set a lot of trends that have been greatly improved upon. It was a in-person multiplayer monster.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    I got mine from EB at launch too! I had those GameFan issues too, I had a subscription at the time. Hyped me up beyond belief. I loved Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 still hasn't been bested.

WCW/NWO Revenge was like Jesus was resurrected around here. I think World Tour was first? Those games basically replaced traditional fighting games because the controller sucked for anything else. I mean, does anyone remember BioFreaks? Oof.

I think you really had to have the N64 right when it came out to appreciate the games that defined the console. It set a lot of trends that have been greatly improved upon. It was a in-person multiplayer monster.
    I wasn't a big fan of Pilot Wings on the SNES, but I really liked Pilot Wings 64. It's a shame that we never got another console release for it, other than Pilot Wings Resort for the 3DS.