Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Ocean: The Divine Force

1. Star Ocean: The Divine Force

Since Second Story every new game has been progressively worse. The 5th was so terrible I thought it would have killed the series, I only finished it because as a fan I wanted to see how the story tied into the other games; and it was fucking easy once you got Dead Man Walking. But here they go again:

The main character has the worst design I've ever fucking seen, holy shit.

2. This has been an RPG franchise that I've really wanted to get into, but never got around to playing any of them. I have the English patched Super Famicom ROM that I've been meaning to play for quite some time. I also have Second Story on the PSP Til the End of Time on the PS2, that I've yet to play. I really need to make an effort to play them.

3. Same here, it looks interesting but never gotten into it. From Opaque's experience, maybe it is for the best.

4. Agree with your assessment, I think some of what they're doing in this new one looks interested, but my faith in tri-Ace as a developer has not really been there in probably a decade.

I do still love the first few entries in the series and they have a really unique atmosphere in the J-RPG space. But 4 was aggressively mediocre and I haven't heard one good thing about 5.

5. Star Ocean Second Story is one of my favorite gaming experiences ever, it just really clicked with me all around. Great music and graphics for the time, fun battles relative to other turn based options, really interesting characters, cool side areas and a super ultra mega hidden dungeon (where you have to save at the final save point and LEAVE the final dungeon to go back to a battle arena and talk to a random dude to access) that allows you to become a fucking god.

3rd game is good, solid.

4 and 5 skip entirely unless you get into the series heavily.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    But 4 was aggressively mediocre and I haven't heard one good thing about 5.
    The thing about 4 that most struck me, was how horrible the visual design was on the original release. Over textured characters running through over textured environments at a low resolution resulted in something more like camouflage than anything else. Just a total lack of awareness and style. Fast forward to 5, and resolution fixes a lot of that, but while other series like Persona (and even Final Fantasy) kept getting better with their interfaces and design, Star Ocean hasn't kept up.

7. Is Second Story just a PSP enhanced version of Til the End of Time?

Edit* Oops, it was an enhanced version of the PlayStation game of the same name.
    Last edited by gamevet; 02 Nov 2021 at 12:42 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Is Second Story just a PSP enhanced version of Til the End of Time?

Edit* Oops, it was an enhanced version of the PlayStation game of the same name.
    There's a remake of the first game on PSP (and ported to Switch and maybe other stuff) that is not bad too.

9. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Is Second Story just a PSP enhanced version of Til the End of Time?

The Second Story is just the second game in the series, on the PSX.

Star Ocean: First Departure is the PSP remake of the first game, which was an SNES title.

10. Yeah, that’s what I’d said when I corrected myself.

I didn’t know about the other PSP title.