Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2022 Edition ~ Underture

1. CoD Vanguard (PS4) - I liked the campaign/story/return to WWII, but I was so put off by having to download, what was it, 90GB of stuff just to play the campaign that I'll probably never buy another one of these. That shit should be ready to go on the disk, not hurry up and wait 10 hours just to play - and then being froze out again because of a huge update file which allows you to do NOTHING until that shit is downloaded. No thank you.

2. They’d have to put it on 3 BR discs. We’ve all been unknowingly buying digital games for quite some time.
    Last edited by gamevet; 29 Jan 2022 at 11:43 AM.

3. Especially when you consider that cable and fiber providers are starting to put caps on data, it can cost more on your bill when you have to download that much. What is the fucking point of buying physical if you still have to download the whole fucking game?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Especially when you consider that cable and fiber providers are starting to put caps on data, it can cost more on your bill when you have to download that much. What is the fucking point of buying physical if you still have to download the whole fucking game?
    And, you know what, for sixty fucking dollars give me the 3 blu rays or CD's or whatever. They cost nothing.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Especially when you consider that cable and fiber providers are starting to put caps on data, it can cost more on your bill when you have to download that much. What is the fucking point of buying physical if you still have to download the whole fucking game?
    I constantly hear about this cap shit, but I've never experienced, other than on my cell phone. I've had Fios for nearly a decade and I've never had a cap. Is that an East Coast thing?

6. I'm west coast but Cox Communications has three tiers, 1024T, 1524T and unlimited.

Used to just be unlimited but now you can hit charged more for going over and it's super predatory.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

7. 4) Uncharted 4 (PS5 Remaster Version)

Uncharted and The Last of Us are the only games my wife likes watching me play since they're basically 8 hour movies, so took advantage of the remaster collection to experience U4 again.

Top to bottom just a fun time.

8. Powerslave Exhumed -- I slept on this game for a long time because I didn't understand just how fundamentally different the console version was from the mediocre PC that launched at the same time with the same name. Nightdive's loving remaster felt like the perfect opportunity to right that wrong. Nightdive have really found their groove with their remasters of late, and the attention to detail is incredible. They're really smart about what they do and don't include, and their releases feel like true definitive versions.

That's especially true here where different versions of the game all had unique advantages. They've gone as far as stitching together the Saturn and PlayStation level layouts to get the best version in each area. The Saturn version, with it's larger play spaces and outdoor sections serve as the frame work, but they've integrated some areas that are more detailed from the PlayStation version also. The faster movement and higher enemy counts from the PlayStation version are here as well, and the higher res enemy sprites and animations from the PC version. Textures are left unfiltered and there's even options for affine texture warping and CRT filter, so it all feels very retro, while still fixing some of the compromises made for the original hardware.

Overall a really cool game for the time it was made. It has a lot of boomer shooter sensibilities with crazy fast movement, lots of enemies, keys to find, secret areas, and novel gimmicky weapons to unlock, but the metroidvania-style progression is something unique and interesting. Toward the end of the game, some of the puzzles were a little tedious, and I found myself cheesing past a couple of them by bomb-jumping into a glide (something that, by the end of the game, is super abusable), but most of the game gets the balance right. I did manage to find all the radio bits and get the good ending.

9. #2 Judgment (PS5)

I have always wanted to complete a Yakuza game, but never gotten too far into one. But Judgment is different, it is set in the same world as Yakuza but you play as a formerly disgraced lawyer that became a detective. In some ways, it is Ace Attorney in Yakuza which is perhaps why I like this game so much. The story and characters, along with the city environment are the real stars. Gameplay wise, there are the detective sections like spotting the clues or tailgating someone, those are typically easy. The minigames are plentiful and some of them are quite good, like drone racing. There are also Sega arcades (RIP) where you can play authentic (emulated) old Sega classics like VF5, VF2, Space Harrier, Fighting Vipers, Outrun, etc. They even made a House of the Dead minigame. There are tons of side missions, most of the time they are hilarious. There are just so much to do and with 71hrs, I only completed 70% of the game. I am going to take a break and play another game before diving into the sequel, this is a must play if you like Yakuza/Ace Attorney or old Sega games!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Powerslave Exhumed --
    Overall a really cool game for the time it was made. It has a lot of boomer shooter sensibilities with crazy fast movement, lots of enemies, keys to find, secret areas, and novel gimmicky weapons to unlock, but the metroidvania-style progression is something unique and interesting. Toward the end of the game, some of the puzzles were a little tedious, and I found myself cheesing past a couple of them by bomb-jumping into a glide (something that, by the end of the game, is super abusable), but most of the game gets the balance right. I did manage to find all the radio bits and get the good ending.
    I just watched DF's video on Powerslave Exhumed, I definitely want to play this! The Saturn version is my favorite.